Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My cards I was/wasn't able to freeze/lock

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: My cards I was/wasn't able to freeze/lock

@pizza1 wrote:

The question though is.....How do lenders look at you just freezing your cards at will for "no real reason", and just leaving the freeze in place.

The freeze or lock is there if you "misplaced your card until you find it again', and "if you think your card was stolen". But what about just freezing because you want too, and freezing/unfreezing it multiple times possibly a month?

Does that raise a red flag on your account or with the lender?

I have wondered that too.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I highly doubt it raises any flags and it’s an effective fraud prevention tool like a credit report freeze so I doubt they care but if you’re worried about it, just freeze CU cards since CUs aren’t sensitive to behaviors that make banks cringe. 

I dare say even the banks should be fine with it though because someone who is utilizing freezes is a much lower fraud risk which is good for business regardless. 

Message 12 of 16
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I highly doubt it raises any flags and it’s an effective fraud prevention tool like a credit report freeze so I doubt they care but if you’re worried about it, just freeze CU cards since CUs aren’t sensitive to behaviors that make banks cringe. 

I dare say even the banks should be fine with it though because someone who is utilizing freezes is a much lower fraud risk which is good for business regardless. 

You would think so, but you just never know how a company views something such as mulitple freezes on a CC as abuse. I mean, that would so stupid as its a security feature for the company really, but one never knows. 

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You would think so, but you just never know how a company views something such as mulitple freezes on a CC as abuse. I mean, that would so stupid as its a security feature for the company really, but one never knows. 

This is why I don’t really like banks though and am trying to expand my exposure with CUs instead but it is a security feature and they should be thankful that we use it when we sock drawer our cards so that they’re not on the hook for fraud while we aren’t looking. I would imagine that most of the banks that aren’t totally ridiculous with their risk algorithms (Chase and Amex for example) are indifferent about the usage of freezes. Obviously you aren’t losing your card twenty times a month so you’re being responsible by freezing and unfreezing. 

Message 14 of 16
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Well, apparently with Amex, if your CC remains frozen for more than a week, it will automatically be lifted, mmmm...

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 11.10.26 AM.png

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

Well, apparently with Amex, if your CC remains frozen for more than a week, it will automatically be lifted, mmmm...

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 11.10.26 AM.png

Sounds about right for Amex!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.