Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My debit card gets no more love

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: My debit card gets no more love

@Thorin wrote:

I used to have a debit card, which I was actually happy with.

But when I moved to the next state over, all of a sudden all the stores would initially tell me they couldn't accept it because they don't take food stamps Smiley Mad I was always able to get them to put it through anyway after showing it was a real credit card, but it was still annoying.

Turns out Sovereign's old gold cards were the exact same color as my new state's EBT (food stamps) cards.  That was what initially got me to start applying for a CC in the first place, so I guess it all worked out in the end.  I now have a bright blue USAA debit card I use as a last resort (X-mas presents ran over my initial Cap One credit limit) which looks nothing like a food stamps card Smiley LOL

The same with PNC cards. I was actually quite offended the first time when the woman turned up her nose and asked was I allowed to buy produce with food stamps. I told her it wasn't and swiped it. She didn't apologize and even know she still asks the same thing. Now I just ignore it. A guy told me that food stamps are also orange so that was the reason she asked. Everyone would ask every single timebut him and I figure they're all just jealous. I go to the store almost everyday so they should remember.

About debit vs credit, I would rather get money back for the money I spend. I use my credit cards for a pack of gum. Cashback adds up very fast and before you know it you've got hundreds of dollars waiting to be redeemed.

Message 31 of 87
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

I'm not fixated with credit cards and I try not to use mine that often--again, for large purchases or purchaes that I'd like to float.  I really don't care much for rewards or points and really don't judge cards in that way.  If the card has a promotion or program associated with it then I might try to remember it but I don't go out of my way to do so.  For me, I'd rather spend my cash and save the credit for when I really need it.  I don't rely on "other people's money", which is what credit is, only my own money piled up in my bank account.  Yes my Discover Card has the 5% categories and my AmEx has MR Rewards points and my Barclays Priceline Visa has it's own point program, and all that is nice and good.  However, it's not the most important thing to me.  Some people want to be perceived in a certain financial light because they use their credit cards for everything.  Ok good for them.  I could frankly care less.  Everyone has to do what works for them and using my debit card works for me.  As long as I've got the cash to cover what I need then I'll spend that first, over using a credit card.  I've never been anywhere where cash was not accepted and until it comes to that point then I will continue to use it and my debit card.

Message 32 of 87
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

And about exposing my money to fraud.  I recently had my BoA debit card compromised.  Someone charged $2,600 in a two day span (the two days that I just happened to not check my account).  When I was at my physician's office I logged into my account and was floored.  I called BoA right away, explained the situation and they immediately credited my account in 10 minutes.  They cancelled that debit card, sent me a new one (I went into a branch and got a temporary one 30 minutes later) and was good to go.  I eventually filled out a fraud report and the matter is now closed.  So debit cards are offered the same protection as credit cards (or maybe it depends upon who you bank with.)  Again, everyone has their own experiences for and against debit cards but they shouldn't be knocked at all.

Message 33 of 87
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@jasimae wrote:

I don't rely on "other people's money", which is what credit is, only my own money piled up in my bank account.

I don't consider it relying on it unless you don't have it. Personally, I only spend what I have. I pay it all before the statement generates unless it's a promotion for a few months of zero interest. If cash and debit cards work for you though, that's great.

Message 34 of 87
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@jasimae wrote:

I'm not fixated with credit cards and I try not to use mine that often--again, for large purchases or purchaes that I'd like to float.  I really don't care much for rewards or points and really don't judge cards in that way.  If the card has a promotion or program associated with it then I might try to remember it but I don't go out of my way to do so.  For me, I'd rather spend my cash and save the credit for when I really need it.  I don't rely on "other people's money", which is what credit is, only my own money piled up in my bank account.  Yes my Discover Card has the 5% categories and my AmEx has MR Rewards points and my Barclays Priceline Visa has it's own point program, and all that is nice and good.  However, it's not the most important thing to me.  Some people want to be perceived in a certain financial light because they use their credit cards for everything.  Ok good for them.  I could frankly care less.  Everyone has to do what works for them and using my debit card works for me.  As long as I've got the cash to cover what I need then I'll spend that first, over using a credit card.  I've never been anywhere where cash was not accepted and until it comes to that point then I will continue to use it and my debit card.

From what you've posted here and elsewhere, it seems that you feel judged negatively because you choose not to use credit. And I can see how that would be pretty irritating.

But I do have to say that statements like what I highlighted above sound like you are judging others negatively because they do choose to use credit, and they post their experiences here. If it's not right to stereotype one behavior, it's not right to stereotype the other, either.

Sure, there's bragging that goes on around here. (There's also some stuff that I wouldn't believe if it came out of the mouth of a preacher on Sunday morning.) But a lot of what people post about how they use CC's and why is an effort to share what they've learned with others. If someone figures out an alternate route into work that avoids horrendous traffic jams and saves 20 minutes on the commute, and they share this route with coworkers, is that bragging? If someone finally figures out the right combination of charcoal, vent openings, and time to smoke the perfect rack of babyback ribs, and they pass on this info at the neighborhood block party, are they just out for glory? (And if someone knows this combo, please post. We're having fun figuring out the magic of babybacks ourselves. Also how long to leave shrimp on the grill before they turn into little bits of pink rubber.)

Again, the role of these forums is to help people learn about how consumer credit works, and what the various options are for different individuals. Some run everything through plastic and are self-disciplined enough to reap the rewards and suffer none of the possible consequences. (Others get into a lot of trouble, really fast.) Some use credit on a very minimal basis, choosing to skip the rewards in favor of not having to worry about debt. Still others are in the middle and do a little of both. All perfectly good solutions that make sense for each user's individual reality.

There isn't one right way of handling credit, and the whole point of the forums is to show all the different options out there, so that we as consumers can make informed choices.

You have made your own informed choice, one that works for you. Others have made different choices which works for them. Everyone is very welcome to post what they have chosen and why, so that others might be inspired. But no one gets to accuse others of being preachy or condescending or outright lying. Unless the others are trolls, in which case they're fair game, of course.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 35 of 87
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Same here.  95% goes on the Amex BCP and those that don't take Amex goes on Chase Freedom.  I am a huge fan of free money.

Message 36 of 87
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

since i have my AMEX, chase, and other CC's i dont use my debit card unless i need cash money.. any one else have this issue?

I lovde ust using my CC's and ust using cash to pay them off! Easiest way not to overdraft!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 37 of 87
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@LilloEsquilo wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

since i have my AMEX, chase, and other CC's i dont use my debit card unless i need cash money.. any one else have this issue?

Yes but that's how you should do it. Don't use your debit card because if a thief steals your account info, they can drain your bank account. Use your credit cards instead.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 38 of 87
FrugalRican
Blogger

@jasimae wrote:

So debit cards are offered the same protection as credit cards (or maybe it depends upon who you bank with.)  Again, everyone has their own experiences for and against debit cards but they shouldn't be knocked at all.

No, they're not. At least not 100%.

Let me tell you first off, how lucky you were, not all banks are going to do it, and not all banks do it right away.

They might have credited the amount to your account, but trust me, they are investigating these charges and if they come up with any reason to believe that it wasn't fraud, they'll be debiting that amount out of your account. I've seen it happen way too many times, where it ended up being someone close to the person who took the debit card. I'd rather go through the hassle with my credit card than go through this hassle with my debit card (along with my savings!).

Also, at some banks, if this happens to you during the weekend, you might be SOL until Monday morning. I don't want to be the one to gamble losing $500 at an ATM and even more at a POS over the course of a Sunday afternoon.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 39 of 87
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I don't even know where my debit card is... I usually get cash from friends at restaurants when I pick up the tab...

RE: I buy all my stuff with my Amazon Store Card so the delivery person has to carry it upstairs.

Whats that all about?

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 40 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.