Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My experience "applying for AMEX CENTURION" card

tag
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

My experience "applying for AMEX CENTURION" card

I called AMEX Platinum and asked for a Centurion, here's how the conversation went:

ME: Hi, i'm looking into acquiring the centurion card

AMEX: Centurion, is usually invitation only but can get you to centurion accounts

CENTURION new accounts: Thanks for your interest in Centurion, I understand you'd like to express interest in the Centurion card

ME: Yes

CENTURION: it is by invitation only but I can take your information down and when applicants are being sought for invites we will review your information. I'll add your name to the list and the list never expires.

ME: Thank you.  

CENTURION: Have a great day, bye-bye

---
I think this is a rejection right off the bat since I assume they quickly reviewed my account and saw that I charge no more than $100,000 a year on the Platinum card
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: My experience "applying for AMEX CENTURION" card

Did you want to apply for the Centurion? Or was this just an experiment?

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 2 of 23
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Just an expiriment. I can't swallow the $10,000 first year cost ($7,500 initiation + $2,500 AF).

Message 3 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

There was a small window back in the credit crunch that you could request it IF you met the $250k Annual spend but they closed that right back up to invitation only and since they didn't really advertise they were allowing simple requests for it I don't think that many were able to take advantage of it.

Message 4 of 23
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

Just an expiriment. I can't swallow the $10,000 first year cost ($7,500 initiation + $2,500 AF).

That's exactly what i was going to mention.  Smiley Wink

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 5 of 23
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

With those kind of ridiculous fees, I wouldn't even come near to experimenting with it, it's repulsive Robot LOL

Message 6 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

I called AMEX Platinum and asked for a Centurion, here's how the conversation went:

ME: Hi, i'm looking into acquiring the centurion card

AMEX: Centurion, is usually invitation only but can get you to centurion accounts

CENTURION new accounts: Thanks for your interest in Centurion, I understand you'd like to express interest in the Centurion card

ME: Yes

CENTURION: it is by invitation only but I can take your information down and when applicants are being sought for invites we will review your information. I'll add your name to the list and the list never expires.

ME: Thank you.  

CENTURION: Have a great day, bye-bye

---
I think this is a rejection right off the bat since I assume they quickly reviewed my account and saw that I charge no more than $100,000 a year on the Platinum card

And if they said, well looks like we'd be happy to send you a Centurion; what then? Temptation, prestige would make the AF/initiation fee some how doable?

Message 7 of 23
Vegas247
Established Contributor

Just get one off ebay......guaranteed approval...only $90 membership fee American Express Black Centurion Card! Metal NOT PLASTIC!   http://www.ebay.com/bhp/american-express-card

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 8 of 23
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

@Vegas247 wrote:

Just get one off ebay......guaranteed approval...only $90 membership fee American Express Black Centurion Card! Metal NOT PLASTIC!   http://www.ebay.com/bhp/american-express-card

LOL wwwoowwww Robot LOL

Message 9 of 23
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

And if they said, well looks like we'd be happy to send you a Centurion; what then? Temptation, prestige would make the AF/initiation fee some how doable?

^^^

I'd tell them to send it to me so I can take a look at the card and feel it but won't activate it.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.