Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My experience with Citi recon

tag
mjban
Valued Member

My experience with Citi recon

Three weeks ago, I applied for a Best Buy Credit Card, now manage by Citi. The day before I applied, I was approved for a Citi Diamond Preferred and I was unaware of Citi app policy (no more than 2 within 24-48 hours).

The BB app was denied. I waited for the letter to call and try. A very cool guy form the number on the letter told me that he didn't see reasons why I would be denied if I apply in the following weeks but Citi policies prevented him from approving any app. Then I decided to call the main office in NY, no luck. I called the main office in South Dakota, a very nice lady told that she personally will review my app and she will get back to me in the next two days. She called me today to tell me that, they can't approve me because of my recent credit inquires, she recommend me to wait 30 days for those inquires not to have effects in my app and try again (which of course I won't do).

The sad part of the story is that I just checked my credit report and saw another HP from Citi yesterday. What an incredible waste of time with Citi.

Will be okay to dispute this? 

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: My experience with Citi recon

Typically, a recon may result in another inquiry. Don't know what they told you on the phone though. If they told you that it would be another inq, then I don't see how you could dispute. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 2 of 27
enharu
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear about that. The inquiries are legitimate so you will have no basis to dispute them. It is common for any lender to pull new inquiries during recon process.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 27
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I must disagree with enharu.
Factually speaking, I got equifax to remove one of three inquiries posted by Citi on recon.
The difference may be, however, is that they specifically told me I would not incur additional inquiries, and I even sent them a copy of the EQ report I obtained.
I disputed it with EQ via fax number posted here in the forums. Citi didn't even acknowledge the inq when I questioned it. They are the stupidest, disorganized bank around.
Spare yourself the dramz and don't deal with Chiti.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
Sorry to hear about that. The inquiries are legitimate so you will have no basis to dispute them. It is common for any lender to pull new inquiries during recon process.

+1

Some lenders will abide by a specific underwrtiing policy to re-review your CR since you are essentially requesting the lender to reconsider the original decision.  I'll have to agree with enharu, since you provided permissible purpose to have it reviewed, it's simply another inquiry.  Not sure why people freak out over this, unless the pulls were excessive which may have resulted in say 3+ in one CR for no basis.  Now, they could potentially remove it but everyone's experience with Citi will vary in that aspect... Good luck either way.

Message 5 of 27
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

I do not think you will get anywhere with this.  I had a similar situation in July.  After realizing that my BK fell off - the first thing I did was app for a Citi Card.  I did not even pay attention to which one - I just went for the first on the page - the Simplicity and was instantly approved.  Both in my excitement about having gotten back in with Citi and after realizing that I might be better off with the Thank You Preferred - I apped for that one the next day..  The rest of the story is pretty much like yours.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 6 of 27
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Well, mine were excessive. I wound up with four hard pulls and an EQ fico score decrease from like 700+ to 672.
I can't help but point out that FinStar and Enharu seem PRObanks! Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Well, mine were excessive. I wound up with four hard pulls and an EQ fico score decrease from like 700+ to 672.

Trolling again youndandcreditwrthy?  I was under the assumption that your character would be above that...lol  Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 27
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

Trolling again youndandcreditwrthy?  I was under the assumption that your character would be above that...lol  Smiley Very Happy

There's nothing wrong with being pro-banks.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 9 of 27
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.