cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My experience with The Discover IT: Low limits and restrictive reward policies

tag
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Re: My experience with The Discover IT: Low limits and restrictive reward policies

I had a BK in 2011.  My best card prior to that was a FP...best I know right Smiley Sad 

I've never had cards with good companies until this year.  So far Discover has been my favorite, they doubled my CL after 3 months as well as dropped my APR 4.25%.  The customer service is second to none, and I have been enjoying the rotating categories and shopdiscover a bit to much! 

No complaints from me.

Message 11 of 22
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Re: My experience with The Discover IT: Low limits and restrictive reward policies

Not in my case. And I use the Discover card the least (like literally, 0.01% of the limit per month if any at all)

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 12 of 22
duyen28262
Valued Member

I like Discover Smiley Wink

- I got the CashBack Bonus (More) card back in 2009. I forgot what the initial limit was, once it passed the introductory APR, it got SDed. Now it is out of the drawer with a CL of $3,000 (I think Discover auto-CLI sometime in the past) because of the 5% Gas from July-Sept. Even with a 13.24% APR, I'll use it for gas as we spend about $400 - $500 a month on gas.

- I got the DiscoverIT last month with CL of $1,500 and plan to have a BT to my checking account in July.

FICO TU 656 (Barclays 07/15/14) - FICO EQ 650 (DCU 07/25/14) - ? FICO EX ?
 photo 9ed69652-dfc4-4961-b6ba-f0cf0ae5d607.png
BBT Visa Signature $7,000
Message 13 of 22
bk510
Valued Contributor

@fargobzn wrote:

@SGR wrote:

It seems like the Discover IT gets a lot of love here but after carrying it for over four months I'm finding it to be my least favorite for several reasons:

1. They gave me a very low limit comparable to my old CapOne MC platinum card, which I got when I had poor credit. I now have several high limit cards including an $8k ELAN card issued through my bank, a $5k BOA Cash Rewards Visa Sig, a $5k QuickSilver Visa Sig, and a $3k Chase Freedom.

2. I'm unable to request a CLI via the website or the automated phone system. My fifth statement is about to cut, but it seems like a lot of people get the CLI option after their fourth statement cuts.

3. The rewards program is the most restrictive program out of all my other cards. If I want cashback, I must request it in increments of $50. This means that if I have $99, I can only request $50 until the next statement cuts (unless I want gift cards and/or Amazon stuff). All of my other cards have minimum redemptions of around $20-25, and there is no restrictions on the amount after the minimum is met. The Chase Freedom card even offers the same Amazon perk as Discover, too.

Anyone else very disappointed with the Discover IT card? I'm debating closing it if I don't get a significant CLI soon.

I didn't get an auto CLI until six months but then I got another auto CLI after 9 months. Maybe you should wait and see what happens after six months. 

I have seen many people getting a small cli's 3 months on up......

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 14 of 22
Stanic413
Regular Contributor

Not a huge Discover fan, don't feel much love from them.  Only one CLI in December, +$300, after 14 months of having the card. Used it for all holiday shopping and paid it all off, but still nothing.  It initally was a More, PC'd to IT early this year.  Requested lower interest rate and/or CLI during PC and the CSR couldn't do either for me.  I have the luv button and I wish it would just go away because I get the "cannot process at this time" message w/ the 800 #, but don't have the option when I call in.  It's officially my lowest limit card at $1500 (aside from store cards which are $1k each). I do like the ShopDiscover.  Great offers.  Other than that, I don't use it at all.  Beginning to feel the same about my Freedom (had 3 years), no auto luv, high interest rates. My credit profile just isn't working for them, I guess.   

18k10k7.6k10k10k5k5.6k1.7k2k
Federal CU PLOC: $5k
Scores, Dec. 2014- TU: 755 EX: 763 EQ: 757
Last App: 12/8/14. In the garden until Jan 2016, getting "mortgage" ready.
Message 15 of 22
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@SGR wrote:

It seems like the Discover IT gets a lot of love here but after carrying it for over four months I'm finding it to be my least favorite for several reasons:

1. They gave me a very low limit comparable to my old CapOne MC platinum card, which I got when I had poor credit. I now have several high limit cards including an $8k ELAN card issued through my bank, a $5k BOA Cash Rewards Visa Sig, a $5k QuickSilver Visa Sig, and a $3k Chase Freedom.

2. I'm unable to request a CLI via the website or the automated phone system. My fifth statement is about to cut, but it seems like a lot of people get the CLI option after their fourth statement cuts.

3. The rewards program is the most restrictive program out of all my other cards. If I want cashback, I must request it in increments of $50. This means that if I have $99, I can only request $50 until the next statement cuts (unless I want gift cards and/or Amazon stuff). All of my other cards have minimum redemptions of around $20-25, and there is no restrictions on the amount after the minimum is met. The Chase Freedom card even offers the same Amazon perk as Discover, too.

Anyone else very disappointed with the Discover IT card? I'm debating closing it if I don't get a significant CLI soon.

I have pretty good experience with them.

They started with a low limit for me. I did not get any auto CLI; had to call in and take a HP for CLI but my limit was almost tripled. 

Their CS is pretty awesome. For a few shopdiscover transactions with Enterprise, I wasn't getting the bonus points. Sending a message to them got all those points back, no questions asked.

Bonus categories are awesome and through SD, you can find retailers who'll stack your category rewards. For example, Abt electronics in winter will mean a total of 15% cashback, and the prices are no-way padded up. 

I understand the frustration with the min and the multiples, but I wait it out. That way, Cap One Quicksilver has the best - 1.5% and no min or multiples to redeem rewards Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 22
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I'm not in love with Discover either.

I have a decent limit with them but I just find other cards better.  Their categories aren't as good as they used to be - they used to have 6 months of gas and last year it was only 3.  I already get my FICO from Barclays.  They tried to CLD me after I took advantage of the their BT offer.  I can rarely use it in other countries because it isn't accepted.  Yes, their CS is nice but I really never need to talk to them.  I like their site but that's not a big deal to me.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 22
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

I am new to Discover and hope to see a CLI in 6 mo.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 18 of 22
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

I like my discover it a lot but it has let me down a couple of times so far. 

Cons:

I would love some bonus 2 or 3% reward categories every quater ( i think almost all of us have a better card for 1% stuff I cant believe discover has not done anything about it)

I completely agree with this.  I have a Discover IT that was converted from More and I wish they would do better than just 1% on general purchases or something to really set them apart from the pack in order to make it a more desirable card to use on a regular basis.  My IT card is pretty much permanently SD'd, but wouldn't be if it wasn't so darn similar to Chase Freedom (a Visa, thus more widely accepted!).  I've been lucky in that they've given me an auto cli, but their APR is really high compared to some of my other cards.  I love the customer service, their website and ShopDiscover, but since I'm not really using the card because it takes spend away from other higher priority cards in my wallet, those perks become somewhat of a moot point.  I'm really kind of leaning towards just closing the card, as I'm trying to simplify my card portfolio.

I think the Discover IT is a GREAT card IF you don't have any other category cards or If you spend a lot in the various 5% rotating categories they offer each year.  It would also be a great first prime card for someone, but even still, you would probably need to have a Visa or MC on hand in case Discover isn't accepted.  For someone like me, I'm not finding it very practical to keep.

Message 19 of 22
parakleet
Valued Contributor

I have no complaints with discover. They've been really good with me. Got initially approved for $5.5k CL and it's now at $8.5k via SPs. I've literally saved hundreds of dollars with shopdiscover and I like how you can get more for your cash back when you redeem for certain gift cards - ex. redeem $40 in cashback for a $50 store gift card. Add to that the free fico score, have no problems with them.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.