My hypothesis: determine your SL with Amex

tag
Aarvard
Established Contributor

Re: My hypothesis: determine your SL with Amex

@Anonymous wrote:

@Aarvard wrote:

Folks,

So my brother and I both apped for Amex cards, and I figured out somehow, our first and second Amex revolving cards' SL fit into these formulas:

Starting credit limit of 1st card = (total income/12-monthly rent)*1.25
Starting credit limit of 2nd card = total income/12-monthly rent
Both rounded to the nearest hundred

Our credit score is above at the time of applications.

It may be a coincidence as well, but who knows Smiley Very Happy
What do you guys think?

If this formula is right then Amex was very generous.

I think we need to clarify some of the math here.  Are you saying if A is your total income and B is your monthly rent and C is your starting limit, that C=(A/(12-C))*1.25 or are you saying that C=(A/B)*1.25???

Because if that is the case, then for me, since C=5000 for me, and for figures sake I make rent $500, then my income is 2 million dollars lol.

PEMDAS guys Smiley Very Happy SL=((Income/12)-Rent)*1.25

03/25/2015 TU 08 765, EX 08 747, EQ 08 757, EQ 04 754.
01/30/2016 TU 08 775, EX 08 752, EQ 08 744
Goal: 780+ across all models.
Message 11 of 17
Aarvard
Established Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:
I've had several AmEx revolvers [Delta Gold (BCE), EDP, Hilton, SimplyCash, SPG] over the years and not one of them has followed your formula at all; so I'd have to disagree with your hypothesis.

My hypothesis is for the first 2 cards of Amex only, but I guess it's a coincidence.

03/25/2015 TU 08 765, EX 08 747, EQ 08 757, EQ 04 754.
01/30/2016 TU 08 775, EX 08 752, EQ 08 744
Goal: 780+ across all models.
Message 12 of 17
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Aarvard wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:
I've had several AmEx revolvers [Delta Gold (BCE), EDP, Hilton, SimplyCash, SPG] over the years and not one of them has followed your formula at all; so I'd have to disagree with your hypothesis.

My hypothesis is for the first 2 cards of Amex only, but I guess it's a coincidence.

If none of my AmEx cards' SLs were congruent with your hypothesis, then that would certainly imply that the first two weren't either. 

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

sounds like you're just stretching for a rhyme, reason or pattern but none of which exist. coincidental ONLY.
Message 14 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Aarvard wrote:

What do you guys think?

If it was that simple and straightfoward we would have reverse engineered it LONG ago.  2 data points are insufficient to determine something like this.

It's coincidental.  My starting limits were nowhere near what your formulas produce.

I would echo what others have stated.  The formulas have bullet holes, unfortunately.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will add my experience. My first AMEX revolver had a SL of $6500, same day my second had a SL of $9200. Same credit score, same income/rent.

Message 16 of 17
taxi818
Super Contributor

@kdong1996 wrote:

Probably a coincidence my CL isn't even closeSmiley Tongue

Agreed. not even remotely close. 12 months rent. hmm. $8500 bucks. income decent. i find utilization have more to do with it than rent. the lower my utilization the higher my starting limits on cards.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.