Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new Costco Amex is reporting strangely

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My new Costco Amex is reporting strangely

Got the Costco Amex.  in July of this year.$2000 limit (What jerks)

When I checked here on myFico, turns out it is reporting as opening in 2007 (the date I got my Costco membership) I was wondering why it said Member since 07 on the card.

Wow, thanks for the extra 2 years of account age!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: My new Costco Amex is reporting strangely

@Anonymous wrote:

Got the Costco Amex.  in July of this year.$2000 limit (What jerks)

When I checked here on myFico, turns out it is reporting as opening in 2007 (the date I got my Costco membership) I was wondering why it said Member since 07 on the card.

Wow, thanks for the extra 2 years of account age!

So why is AMEX jerks because they only gave you a $2k CL?  Many people get turned down these days.  Do you have absolutely perfect, squeaky clean history with no lates, over limits or other red flags on any CC, mortgage or auto loan?  If you don't like the limit just don't use the card, Costco always takes cold hard cash.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're jerks because they have a great rewards card that I have to make 2 or 3 payments on per month because I use it so much.  It is worth my time, but every other lender plays ball with me.  I do have a 100% perfect history btw.  Only down factor in my scores is account history length.

BUT!!  I take it all back, I love em for reporting my trade line 2.5 years older than it actually is.  Anyone else have this happen to them too?

Message 3 of 11
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They're jerks because they have a great rewards card that I have to make 2 or 3 payments on per month because I use it so much.  It is worth my time, but every other lender plays ball with me.  I do have a 100% perfect history btw.  Only down factor in my scores is account history length.

BUT!!  I take it all back, I love em for reporting my trade line 2.5 years older than it actually is.  Anyone else have this happen to them too?

If I knew I could get a $2K CL and start at 2.5 years starting age that would alter my app'ing program just a bit. You can always up the CL if you are a good citizen.

Message 4 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

anevilpetingzoo wrote:

That's interesting!

We all know about them back-dating cards to when your first card with them was opened, but to pick up the Costco membership date? That's a new one on me. Congrats!

Give them time on the CL. If you keep using it at the level you describe, I think you'll have some CLI's coming your way. It's starting to look to me as if the bloodletting is just about over, and they might be returning to rewarding good customers again.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 11
joestay
Frequent Contributor

I hope they do the same thing for me.  I've been a Costco member since 2007.  If this does happen, then my AAoA will actually increase.

Message 6 of 11
tiger67
Regular Contributor

Others here have reported the back-dating to Costco date.

Regarding the $2000 cl: This seems to be a common starting limit, mine was the same with EX 761. Use heavily and PIF. After 6mo request a CLI online for 3x cl. My AmEx Blue turned 6 mo two weeks ago and my cl went from $2000 to $6000.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So funny! DH and I noticed the same.  Opened card in 2009, but reporting as 2006 (been Costco mbr longer than that). Woo hoo!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

After a few days I really sat down and looked at all of the dates carefully....

Costco Membership: 1999

1st Amex: Nov. 2007

Costco Amex listed age:  June 2007

I have NO CLUE where they got the age of my newest Amex, but maybe I can call and have them back date my original Amex? Smiley Happy

For costco, I have a membership through work, not a personal membership.  Maybe that is part of the reason for the odd age... Dunno

Message 9 of 11
ma_fico
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

After a few days I really sat down and looked at all of the dates carefully....

Costco Membership: 1999

1st Amex: Nov. 2007

Costco Amex listed age:  June 2007

I have NO CLUE where they got the age of my newest Amex, but maybe I can call and have them back date my original Amex? Smiley Happy

For costco, I have a membership through work, not a personal membership.  Maybe that is part of the reason for the odd age... Dunno

Amex backdating applies the YEAR of your FIRST Amex opening, and the MONTH of your CURRENT application.

... which is why I waited until January of this year to app for Costco - nearly a whole year's worth of reported age difference.  (e.g. 1/99 v. 12/99)

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.