Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My newest US Bank Cash+ card

tag
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: My newest US Bank Cash+ card

Currently one cash+ card is fast food and bookstores, as I spend a lot on Amazon. Second is restaurants and cell phone. My internet and cable TV are also included under phone category, as I checked the VISA business numbers and they are the same VISA number as Verizon Wireless. Next quarter I'll rearrange them so fast food and restaurants are on one card. 2% category is drugstores.

In quarters that I don't need a cash+ category, such as Amazon probably being covered by Discover It in the 4th quarter of 2013, or restaurants/fastfood being covered by Discover or Chase Freedom (Freedom and possibly Citi Dividend I plan to pickup in 2014), I'll just select something else. Though I really don't use many other categories. If I manage to get a SallieMae World Mastercard in November, I feel I'll be pretty well set. Unless someone comes up with a 5% on Drugstores card that isn't a rotator like the Chase Freedom.

This is what works for me. Four 5% categories covered by the two Cash+ cards, and Three 5% categories covered by SallieMae, with the occasional Discover/Freedom/Dividend wildcard thrown in just to make it interesting. Priceline.com VISA card is 2% on everything (no longer available). Until all my plans are nerfed by the credit gods next year.

The 1.25% Emigrant Direct card will be closed whenever it seems convenient to do so. None of my cards have annual fees, so I'm in no hurry.

The quicksilver card doesn't seem to have a place in my card deck. I have no use for anything less than 2% cashback now.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 11 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yep, that looks like a good set of cards for (non-manufactured) cash back.   No travel cards? 

Message 12 of 16
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I don't travel at all, so no travel cards.

Total $443,800
Message 13 of 16
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I don't travel at all, so no travel cards.

Themanwhocan:

Your Priceline card still 2% or did they NERF it already?  If it got nerfed, you probably need a greater than 1% card.  Maybe Fidelity AMEX/VISA, Quicksilver, JCB card.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 14 of 16
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

My priceline.com VISA is still 2%. You just can't apply for that version of the card anymore.

Truth be told, once I have the SallieMae card, I won't be using the 2% card very much at all. I have a monthly $112 rent on that card for a storage room, other than that it will just be the occasional small purchase. I still can cover 2% drugstores with the Cash+, and there are other Barclay cards with 2% on certain categories, plus of course the Fidelity Amex. I did want to pickup the Fidelity card, but with so little spending on the Priceline.com it might not be worth it.

Total $443,800
Message 15 of 16
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Hmm. Priceline is reporting that travel bookings have spiked up 38%. Maybe my 2% card won't be nerfed for a while...

Total $443,800
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.