cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My relationship with Citi was short lived.

tag
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

My relationship with Citi was short lived.

Logged into my account today and got a notification that they flagged some potentially unauthorized charges.  I call in and they say they can't verify me through my cell phone because it's not in my name.  The account has been in my name only for 16 years.  They want to use the phone number on my account which when they read it back is my old phone number since I moved last Saturday.  I had updated my information in their online system and apparently it changed the mailing address but not the residential address or phone number.  After discussing it with them for 20 minutes I was put on hold, then hung up on.  When I called back in I was told the only way they could verify me was through the mail, I had to send them my driver's license with current address and a copy of my social security card.  When I told them that my DL didn't have the correct address since I moved four days ago and there was no way I was mailing them a copy of my SS card they informed me I had failed their security check and would get a letter in the mail.  Looks like my DC will be closed after 40 days.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My relationship with Citi was short lived.

Wow.. Can you get to a branch and submit your proof of identity there?

Message 2 of 37
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

150 miles.  And there is no guarantee they accept my DL that doesn't match the new address.  And there is still no way in hell I'm giving them a copy of my SS card.  No one gets a copy of my SS card.  I'll let you look at it, but that's it.

Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 3 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps get a new driver's license? Only takes a few minutes. Sorry this happened, OP.

Message 4 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in agreement here... Just update your drivers license!  You have to do it anyways, just get 'r done and send them a copy.

In Oklahoma it's a little known law/fact that you must update your drivers license within 10 days of moving to a new address.

Message 5 of 37
beastykato

Yeah, go online and update your address and then just print it out and see if that works.  Printing will avoid you having to pay for a whole new licence before it expires, unless you want to go ahead and get that out of the way. 

I do feel for you.  Whenever a company F's me over like this I'm a total **bleep** and play hardball right back.  I'd call into the upper management level and get it handled very quickly.  Usually you can get the number for these offices by typing "Office of the president *insert company name*" into Google, then you'll usually get a receptionist for the companies main office who will take your complaint and get it resolved for you.   

Message 6 of 37
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Since I moved to a different state I have 60 days to change my license, which I'm planning to do in the next couple days.  But then I still have to wait two weeks to get the hard card.  My wife can't get a DL or a bank account here until she gets a utility bill with her name and the address on it, stupid RealID and patriot act crap, but cable is in my name and has already produced a bill.  Still doesn't change the fact they will verify me through my phone for online banking and alerts, then tell me it's not my phone for this.  I almost hope they cancel it, save me from having to deal with them.

Message 7 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having a "closed by credit grantor" remark on CBR is not the best think if a future app ever goes to manual review. If you really don't want to deal with them I would just cancel the card before they cancel it for you. 

Message 8 of 37
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear that. A member of my family apped for Citi Simplicity last year it was not auto approved as every other card apped for in 5 years was, they sent letter demanding SS, DL, Proof of Income and Proof of Phone (original bill only no copy). The family member promptly told them where they could put their card..... I refuse to do business with this bank as well. You are not losing anything consider it a learning experience.

Adding: I forgot to say the family member received in the mail a pre approved offer for the Simplicity card, it wasnt even a cold app.

Message 9 of 37
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear about your experience with Citi. Hopefully it gets resolved. I am curious about something, I have noticed a few people are hesitant to show a SS card to a credit card issuer, doesn't the bank already have your social? I guess a photo copy of your SS card just laying around at a branch is a risk versus your number at an internal bank server.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.