cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My relationship with Citi was short lived.

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: My relationship with Citi was short lived.

@Anonymous wrote:

Having a "closed by credit grantor" remark on CBR is not the best think if a future app ever goes to manual review. If you really don't want to deal with them I would just cancel the card before they cancel it for you. 

I doubt if one (or even a few) will have any impact at all.   Lots of reasons why a card might get closed,

Message 11 of 37
NRB525
Super Contributor

Thanks for sharing, OP, certainly a frustrating situation. 

I would suggest a few learnings out of this:

1) Set up your cell phone as the main or only phone contact from the CC banks. That way, when you get a new card, you use your cell phone to call to activate and any of the modern banks are likely to recognize you immediately by the caller ID. 

2) Consider if a move is in the near future before apping a card. Not always possible, but a way to avoid hassles and stress during an already stressful move.

3) Consider the benefit of Citi wanting to be certain it is you who moved, and not some spoofer "Oh, yeah, I just moved from Peoria to Timbuktu and I'd like you to FedEx me my new card cause I lost the old one during the move"

Citi is worth pursuing, a solid set of benefits, including fraud monitoring.

Good luck! Hopefully it gets sorted out soon. If not, no issue with having the closed card, I've got half a dozen or more closed with history or even with balances. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Having a "closed by credit grantor" remark on CBR is not the best think if a future app ever goes to manual review. If you really don't want to deal with them I would just cancel the card before they cancel it for you. 

I doubt if one (or even a few) will have any impact at all.   Lots of reasons why a card might get closed,

If you have a small portfolio it could have a larger impact...

Message 13 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Discover2016 wrote:

Sorry to hear about your experience with Citi. Hopefully it gets resolved. I am curious about something, I have noticed a few people are hesitant to show a SS card to a credit card issuer, doesn't the bank already have your social? I guess a photo copy of your SS card just laying around at a branch is a risk versus your number at an internal bank server.

I'd be hesitant to have a photo copy of my SS card being sent through the mail and opened by goodness who at the bank. 

Message 14 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) I guess I can see how we've gotten all bent out of shape about show SS cards but in reality companies, institutions etc have been asking for and making a copy for YEARS.
And TRUTH be told, they already have the freaking# anybody that WANTS to dup your card doesn't need a COPY of yours ...Trust me they'll create one anyway, the template for creating a SS card is so well known they don't need nor WANT your card.
As a form of I.D. in fairness it actually sucks, only big slow banks would think much of em anyway.
I'm in SoCal and I'm sure where you guys live to but here FOR SURE...You can go down to L.A. or Santa Ana and have a better looking SS card than the government produces quicker than Jiffy Lube has your car ready...The SS card thing is a joke from the 80's truth be told.

* As for the DL
1) A lot of states to the letter of the law per DMV rules (I've had many different state DLs) ask for a DL swap within 10-30 days is very very common (Granted, most ppl don't meet that standard but it's in the book)

2) A good solution IMO is to get a state I.D.
It looks virtual the exact same and is acceptable in place of a DL...They only ask for a DL because it's just a lazy way of asking for a government issued I.D. but a state I.D. is = to a DL in every way (except the right to drive😊)

This works, well for your students that may attend school on the other side of the state and need to cash checks or whatever.

My DL is only given to a Cop, any and everybody else gets the I.D.
Most ppl can't tell the difference, I'm CA. it's the same # anyway

So the I.D. isn't a real issue not wanting to show and allow them to copy the SS card ...That will be the killer, I'm highly doubtful one person can just check a box that says I saw it without the "proof" being attached to a file they flagged
Otherwise, it'd make no sense to flag and ask for proof

Sorry, this happened but in fairness IF you were a scammer, wouldn't the scammer also NOT want to I.D. themselves or drive to a branch?
It becomes a catch-22
No winners
Message 15 of 37
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Gemini, I'm with you on a couple things and a couple I'm not.

In MN and AFAIK in WI you aren't allowed to have both a DL and State ID, it's one or the other.  

Per WI statutes I have 60 days after I move to get a WI DL and relinquish my MN, which really makes sense with the Real ID requirement of having to bring in a utility bill with your name on it to verify address.

I wasn't even given the option to go to a branch, of course with it being 150 miles to the nearest one I probably wouldn't anyway.  The part that pisses me off more now that I think about it was that they overnighted my wife's card to me after they screwed up my adding her as an AU because I told them I was moving.  They used my cell phone to verify me for online banking as well.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 16 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ended up moving a week after being approved for my Citi DC card. Luckily I hadn't activated the card yet and run into problems with my address change so I was able to update all my information online.

I'm sure it's frustrating but it's best to update info ASAP. Like new phone numbers and addresses. I don't blame you for not wanting to send a copy of ss card through the mail because I would be hesitant myself. You don't know who could get ahold of that. I would get a new DL and try calling again to prevent your account being closed.
Message 17 of 37
sjt
Senior Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

Logged into my account today and got a notification that they flagged some potentially unauthorized charges.  I call in and they say they can't verify me through my cell phone because it's not in my name.  The account has been in my name only for 16 years.  They want to use the phone number on my account which when they read it back is my old phone number since I moved last Saturday.  I had updated my information in their online system and apparently it changed the mailing address but not the residential address or phone number.  After discussing it with them for 20 minutes I was put on hold, then hung up on.  When I called back in I was told the only way they could verify me was through the mail, I had to send them my driver's license with current address and a copy of my social security card.  When I told them that my DL didn't have the correct address since I moved four days ago and there was no way I was mailing them a copy of my SS card they informed me I had failed their security check and would get a letter in the mail.  Looks like my DC will be closed after 40 days.

Write a letter and enclose a copy of your driver license and SS Card. Have it notorized and send CMRR.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 18 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

In MN and AFAIK in WI you aren't allowed to have both a DL and State ID, it's one or the other.  

humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:

Most states will not allow you to have both.

Also, many people on the board report that they don't have utilities in their name or that utilities are included with their rent, and that they have no utility bills.

BECU as an example requires an actual copy of my SS card in order to change my maiden name to my married name. They won't accept a copy of marriage license or even my Passport and DL that shows I've had my married name for many years.

It would be nice if the requirements were universal or allowed you to present one of several possible items within a category.

These types of identity verification procedures will become much more common in the future due to many system abuses, so I'd suggest to be ready, OP.

Sorry this happened to you in any event.

Message 19 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I understand the frustration with the procedures but its really not their fault, its the many identity theives out there that exploit any weaknesss they can find in these systems.  If they allowed someone to steal your identity you would be far more upset.  

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.