cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My relationship with Citi was short lived.

tag
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Re: My relationship with Citi was short lived.

When I tell them I'm moving, use my card to rent a moving truck, which was the only charge on the card in the last two weeks, and then change my address.  That really shouldn't trigger a fraud alert,  telling me my cell phone isn't in my name, at the same time I have the phone company sending me a text reminding me my due date is near on an account I've had for 16 years is asinine.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 21 of 37
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
1) I guess I can see how we've gotten all bent out of shape about show SS cards but in reality companies, institutions etc have been asking for and making a copy for YEARS.
And TRUTH be told, they already have the freaking# anybody that WANTS to dup your card doesn't need a COPY of yours ...Trust me they'll create one anyway, the template for creating a SS card is so well known they don't need nor WANT your card.
As a form of I.D. in fairness it actually sucks, only big slow banks would think much of em anyway.
I'm in SoCal and I'm sure where you guys live to but here FOR SURE...You can go down to L.A. or Santa Ana and have a better looking SS card than the government produces quicker than Jiffy Lube has your car ready...The SS card thing is a joke from the 80's truth be told.

* As for the DL
1) A lot of states to the letter of the law per DMV rules (I've had many different state DLs) ask for a DL swap within 10-30 days is very very common (Granted, most ppl don't meet that standard but it's in the book)

2) A good solution IMO is to get a state I.D.
It looks virtual the exact same and is acceptable in place of a DL...They only ask for a DL because it's just a lazy way of asking for a government issued I.D. but a state I.D. is = to a DL in every way (except the right to drive😊)

This works, well for your students that may attend school on the other side of the state and need to cash checks or whatever.

My DL is only given to a Cop, any and everybody else gets the I.D.
Most ppl can't tell the difference, I'm CA. it's the same # anyway

So the I.D. isn't a real issue not wanting to show and allow them to copy the SS card ...That will be the killer, I'm highly doubtful one person can just check a box that says I saw it without the "proof" being attached to a file they flagged
Otherwise, it'd make no sense to flag and ask for proof

Sorry, this happened but in fairness IF you were a scammer, wouldn't the scammer also NOT want to I.D. themselves or drive to a branch?
It becomes a catch-22
No winners

Yep, same here

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 22 of 37
Kidcat
Established Contributor

OP- you can find out if Citi has a secure fax or secure message option in send a copy of your driviers license.  In my business I review and make copies of SS cards all the time.  With EVERYTHING in a computer somewhere, the card itself is not what scammers are getting a hold of since you have to have an ID too.

From Citi's perspective...someone gets approved for a card and moves a week later, wanting you to send the card to the new address.  It seems to be a fraud prevention policy.

Good luck if you decide to proceed.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 23 of 37
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I'm not trying to get them to send me a card.  They slapped a fraud check on the rental truck charge after I told them I was moving and even used the card at Uhaul to buy boxes two weeks earlier.  I had to have them overnight me my wife's card so that it wouldn't get lost in the shuffle of moving.  Of course when I added her as an AU they sent another card in my name and not one in hers, hence the overnighting.  I'll read what they have to say, total number of swipes: 13.  In three weeks I'll have a Real ID compliant DL, if they'll take that I'll stay with them.  Otherwise the extra .5% CB isn't worth the hassle over my QS or FU, and I already have a WEMC.

Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 24 of 37
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Called them again this morning since I really want to use this card for some upcoming work travel.  They told me that I didn't have to send in my SS card if I was willing to send in my W-2, utility bill and copy of DL.  Fine, started getting it all together and they told me they wanted all the documents to be at least a year old and have my old address and home phone number on it.  I only had that home phone number for 7 months before moving and don't keep old utility bills around.  They actually then told me to call in from my new job that I start monday and they could verify that way. This card is quickly becoming more trouble than it's worth.  I asked about going in branch for verification and was told all they would do in branch was fax it to the fraud department anyway.

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's reasonable for the bank to want to look further if you've changed phone numbers twice in seven months and moved twice within seven months. And it's very easy to obtain a copy of utility bills from the prior utility company - they are easily available online most of the time these days. Smiley Happy

They are providing you with options to the items you don't want to send in, even if they seem to be annoying options. But you seem to not to be able to produce the things they are asking for, even when they select new possibilities or give you other options.

Message 26 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it's reasonable for the bank to want to look further if you've changed phone numbers twice in seven months and moved twice within seven months. And it's very easy to obtain a copy of utility bills from the prior utility company - they are easily available online most of the time these days. Smiley Happy

They are providing you with options to the items you don't want to send in, even if they seem to be annoying options. But you seem to not to be able to produce the things they are asking for, even when they select new possibilities or give you other options.

I tend to agree with this.

I understand how it's a pain to have to jump through multiple hoops to deal with a situation such as this, but something has made them think there might be a fraud problem with the account.  Remember that with a credit card the bank is usually on the hook for any fraudulent transactions, which is the reason so many of us like to use them.

In this case it might be a 'perfect storm' of completely legitimate events (multiple recent phone numbers and home addresses, etc.) but even if all of the changes are completely on the up-and-up you can't fault Citi for being cautious, especially when they are seemingly trying to be reasonable by providing multiple options to meet their request. 

If I were in the bank's shoes and each verification option I presented was problematic, I would suspect something might be wrong as well.  That said, I do believe that physically going into the branch should be an option... even if on the phone they told me the local folks would only fax over my docs, I would be tempted to do it anyway to show them I was trying.

In a situation such as this it might be the case that the timing just isn't meant to be, and if meeting Citi's fraud department's requirements will be too much hassle it might be best to close the account and move on.  Once you have some history with your current address/phone number/etc. you can always reapply with them again if you chose to do so.

Message 27 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

No offense but this is becoming like a Steve Martin, John Candy movie 😇

At every turn..."Sir..Oh my yer F'd"
(young ppl see Planes, Trains & Automobiles...😂)

As mentioned above....Their throwing lifelines and each one that the vast majority of people would be able to catch, you fumble

We, hear your story and you're probably not a scamming schmuck BUT the details certainly would fit exactly why IF your account went bad the person signing off would be immediately FIRED for being incompetent!

If an account were opened in your name or my name or any sane person on here and we heard the 'details' that well the 'person' who claimed to be you...Said they just moved, didn't want to send this or have that copied,
Come to 'think' of it, they said they hadn't had the other phone# from the old address from across state lines long enough to produce anything from a year prior....They did seem to want the card bad enough to continue to search for a way to GET IT but only within very specific parameters, none of the regular ones that 98% of people have no issue with....Guy even balked at calling in from his supposed "new" job in the new state

Huh? Maybe we should have been more skeptical...
We got had huh?

But sir, he seemed so sincere and IF he were You, we didn't want to tick him, we mean you off...Just in case he were you, even though he turned out not to be you, you understand, right?😋

Oh and btw don't worry, we'll provide you with 6 full months of Identity theft 😂 protection...On us!
Message 28 of 37
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Well I sent in a copy of my old driver's license, my 2015 w-2 and my first cable bill that had that phone number on it.  From March of 2016.  I didn't think I had comcast that long.  We'll see what happens with it.  I offered to email them my new WI DL, cable bill from December that I still have and my electronic w-2.  The response was, we only take fax.  I've done all I'm going to do with them for this, either free up my account or close it.  At this point I really don't care which.

Message 29 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

Well I sent in a copy of my old driver's license, my 2015 w-2 and my first cable bill that had that phone number on it.  From March of 2016.  I didn't think I had comcast that long.  We'll see what happens with it.  I offered to email them my new WI DL, cable bill from December that I still have and my electronic w-2.  The response was, we only take fax.  I've done all I'm going to do with them for this, either free up my account or close it.  At this point I really don't care which.

I would think that should be sufficient to allay their concerns; hopefully this will all be resolved soon in your favor.

Let us know how it goes!  Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.