Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rewards cards and plan-thoughts?

tag
medcinmn
Established Member

My rewards cards and plan-thoughts?

We travel by air usually once per year. Other travel is driving and stay in timeshares. Therefore I figured cash rewards were better for me. 

I currently have:

AMEX BCP used for groceries and wifes fuel

AMEX TE business used for my fuel and business supplies

BOA Rewards Visa Signature for business suppliers who don't accept AMEX

Chase Freedom for 5% rotating categories and other miscellaneous

Discover IT for 5% rotating categories and other miscellaneous

BOA Visa Quantam - don't use

Chase Travel plus - don't use

Chase Amazone - don't use

Im thinking of a 2% Rewards for miscellaneous but would need low or no AF to make it worth it. 

Thoughts?  Also, since we only travel by air once per years, is my thinking correct regarding using cash rewards instead of points?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: My rewards cards and plan-thoughts?

On the 2%, Fidelity Amex is an obvious choice, 2% on everything, no AF, downsides being a small FTF and less acceptance than a Visa/MC.

As for travelling 1 a year, it sort of depends on that travel!   If you go international premium cabin, even once  a year, then you probably would do much better with points.

If you are using coach, less so.  Simple thing to do is to look at the price of your tickets vs the miles needed for an award on a suitable carrier.  Then look at your spending categories to see if using a Chase UR, or Amex SPG or Amex MR would require less spend than you need for cash back

Message 2 of 6
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Fidelity Amex is indeed the only choice right now for 2% cash back on any purchase.

Its hard to make suggestions without knowing what spending categories you use. In business cards, you might consider the Chase Ink Cash, for 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent annually at office supply stores, and on cellular phone, landline, internet, and cable TV services. Also free employee cards, and you can set spending limits on the employee cards.

In personal cards, the US Bank Cash+ has a fairly wide selection of selectable 5% categories, so it might be able to cover some of your needs.

here is a good list of categories, and the best cards for each category:

http://boardingarea.com/frequentmiler/2012/11/09/best-category-bonuses/

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 3 of 6
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

What about the cap one quicksliver with no AF. Its not 2% but 1.5% is pretty good plus its accepted more than amex

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 4 of 6
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

What about the cap one quicksliver with no AF. Its not 2% but 1.5% is pretty good plus its accepted more than amex

+1  

Message 5 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

Yes, I recommend having both, using the QS when Amex isn't accepted and when doing foreign transactions.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.