cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My short journey with credit (need advice)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My short journey with credit (need advice)

Hello everyone,
I’ve been reading posts on this forum for about a year and this is my first post.
I’m here to tell you guys about my short credit adventure and I’m also here to seek advice on the future steps for my credit.

First of all, I would like to thank you all for all the amazing information shared on this forum.

I’m a 22 years old college student and after looking up multiple posts on the forum, I decided to apply for the Discover it (Not the student). After an address verification, I was approved with a 1750$ limit and an 11.99% APR after the intro APR which really surprised me because I had no credit history before, no loans, no AU. I also referred some friends to discover who got the same card with a lower limit and a higher APR. Anyway, 4 months later I was thinking about the CSP so much that I just rushed and applied, I was denied and I tried to recon with no success, the credit analyst told me that the card starts at 5000$ and that I had no experience with that amount. This month (6th month) I decided to apply for the new AMEX, the Delta Sky Miles, I got approved in 30 seconds with a 10.000$ credit limit and I’ve got my card two days ago. I can’t see my credit score yet on Fico but it should be up by the 21st of this month.
So I’m here seeking advice from you guys on what should be next on my journey ? Should I reapply for the CSP ? And if so, when ?
And by the way, AMEX pulled my Fico score at 750, Source : Experian.
I’m not really sure if it’s a good thing so I’m counting on you guys for some instructive feedback !

Thank you all for your time,
12 REPLIES 12
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: My short journey with credit (need advice)

I wouldn't app just yet.

Use your amex for at least 3 months to prove you can handle the limit. Pay your balances down before the statement cuts so that the card reports less than 8.9% util. The balance on your Discover should report 0 or less than 1%. And try not to carry any balances, PIF whatever is remaining after the statement cuts before the due date.

If CSP was initially concerned about your inexperience with high limits, you should try to show them a history of very conservative, responsible use.

After you get your CSP, go in the garden (no apping) and let your accounts age for a while.

Good luck!

Oh, and congrats on the amex!!
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot !
I always let it report less than 8% and I never missed a payment or carried a balance.
Do you think I could be good in 3-4 months for the CSP?
Message 3 of 13
thornback
Senior Contributor

I think so. If not, wait a few months and try again. Denials are only temporary.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 13
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Chase likes a year of history. I'd look at applying during month 13 of your Discover card. As you may know, Chase wants history and some experience, but they also don't like to see a lot of new accounts. And they will deny almost all apps if you have five new accounts in the last 24 months. It's a balancing act. They don't like too much, and they don't like too little.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot ! I only have two hard pulls showing, I don’t know why I can’t see the Chase one that got denied
Message 6 of 13
Kforce
Valued Contributor

With "HevenOhio"    Wait !

There is no hurry

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello everyone,
I’ve been reading posts on this forum for about a year and this is my first post.
I’m here to tell you guys about my short credit adventure and I’m also here to seek advice on the future steps for my credit.

First of all, I would like to thank you all for all the amazing information shared on this forum.

I’m a 22 years old college student and after looking up multiple posts on the forum, I decided to apply for the Discover it (Not the student). After an address verification, I was approved with a 1750$ limit and an 11.99% APR after the intro APR which really surprised me because I had no credit history before, no loans, no AU. I also referred some friends to discover who got the same card with a lower limit and a higher APR. Anyway, 4 months later I was thinking about the CSP so much that I just rushed and applied, I was denied and I tried to recon with no success, the credit analyst told me that the card starts at 5000$ and that I had no experience with that amount. This month (6th month) I decided to apply for the new AMEX, the Delta Sky Miles, I got approved in 30 seconds with a 10.000$ credit limit and I’ve got my card two days ago. I can’t see my credit score yet on Fico but it should be up by the 21st of this month.
So I’m here seeking advice from you guys on what should be next on my journey ? Should I reapply for the CSP ? And if so, when ?
I’m not really sure if it’s a good thing so I’m counting on you guys for some instructive feedback !

Congrats for seeking assistance and making informed decisions.  Taking credit seriously is one of those things where the sooner it's done the better.  Having said that... FREEZE!

First off, hold off on Chase.  I'm serious.  You're credit profile isn't ready nor will it be for some time.  Will Chase approve folx without a mature profile?  Sure, but those folx are never happy with their limits.  Add to that, it's a royal pain and YMMV to get CLI's with Chase which are always Hard Pulls.  When you have an AAoA of more than 2 years, then maybe consider applying for a Chase card like the CS(P/R).  They tend to approve just about everyone for Freedom, but you're not likely to be happy with your limit.

Credit is like a Bonsai tree.  Go slow and continue to make intelligent decisions at the appropriate time.  You must resist the urge to have it all now.  If you act on that desire you'll end up with the reverse.  There's no magic eraser for your credit report.  So what should you do?

You currently have two cards with major lenders so there isn't a *need* for additional credit at this time.  Also, you need time to adjust to this new found purchasing power whether or not you think you're ready.  Make no further applications unless you absolutely have to or you see a once in a life time offer (rare).  In 6 months hit that increase button at Discover and build that up till it's over 5k and then over 10k.  As AMEX sees you being responsible with your account with them they're going to tempt you with more cards... resist.  But do attempt Soft Pull cli's, even the 3x cli at 60-90 days (which ever is trending). 

Everytime you open a new account your AAoA drops.  Tons of new credit with no mature credit for established history makes you extreemly high risk.  You're going to have a tough time with major lenders going forward until your AAoA builds.  Everytime you're tempted to apply, and you will be tempted constantly, ask yourself if you really need it.  Most times you're going to realize that you don't, and that's good!  Stay active on this forum and take the advice from people who have the credit profiles you most desire for yourself.  

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great advice! Sound.

Message 9 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello everyone,

What you need to do now is be patient, and wait at least 6 months before applying for the CSP.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.