Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My trip of building credit, and using cards wisely to maxi CB

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My trip of building credit, and using cards wisely to maxi CB

hello everyone, this is my first post in the form, thank you for taking time read my post
I'm currently a junior in college, age 22, I have been started building credit since Oct, 2012. With no help from parents no AU no JOINT acct. I'm not working at part time, income comes from scholarship and freelance work
Got discover more 500CL now 1000CL on oct2012
Chase freedom 500CL now 5300CL on Jan 2013 with the special consideration form filled at local branch
Chase Southwest premier 5kCL on March 2013
AMEX PRG NPSL 50k offer replied on July 2013
Chase Sapphire Preferred web pre qualified with $10000 with 1k spending in 3 months, now increase to 20k CL, applied on Aug 2013
BOA better balance forward 800CL applied on DEC 2013
Chase Marriott Premier $42000CL, yes I was shocked! Applied through an public offer with 1k spending and 70k points this months.
Current FICO score 756

I use freedom and discover for 5% category rotating
CSP for dinning and traveling, PRG for fueling and grocery
Chase freedom for everything else with 1.1% CB, with Chase checking 10% dividend
Combine chase UR for UA international flights, normally a flight to Asia would cost $2000 but using CSP portal to transfer points to UA at 1:1 rate only costs 75k points, equals to $750 if deposit to cash.
I'm currently waiting AMEX offer me another 50k points if I upgrade my gold card to plat, I spent almost 50k last annual cycle on that card. I like the service and the buying power of AMEX, especially I will travel around the world after March next year I graduate, the benefits that plat card is really useful to me.
BOA better balance forward is the card I use to get $100 each year per card to cover the AF of sapphire card and PRG. I have 2 of this card , the other one was a product change from 123 card( after I get the sign up bonus)
I live in Denver and we have good southwest flights, and it needs around 7000 points for $120 tickets for just wanna get away fare, If I use freedom's 5% to get those points, and convert it through CSP, it will only costs $1400 to get $120 airline ticket so I consider it as the best value domestic converting flyer program. Almost everything 15% off.
The reason why I don't have BCP or BCE is because I don't want to spread my points, 1.5x or 2x on everything is good, but the power becomes minimal when points are spreaded.
I'm still On my way to build better credit score now, advices from this form is really helpful, hope my experience and way to use my card can help you little bit, leave your question here and I will try to answer.
Just remember always swipe more, even use it to buy gift cards, and pay it down when bank record and report your balance to 3 major credit institution.
Best wishes!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MT936
Established Contributor

Re: My trip of building credit, and using cards wisely to maxi CB

whats your income to be having those limits as a junior in college

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have scholarship around 20k each year with rest 40k tuition from my parents. I do freelance as photographer under 5k each year.
Thank you for your comments Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have scholarship around 20k each year with rest 40k tuition from my parents. I do freelance as photographer under 5k each year. Thank you for your comments

Message 4 of 7
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

So you list your income as 65k?
QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@hizzaah wrote:
So you list your income as 65k?

I wrote 100k under application, since the CSR said tuition and living expenses from parents also counts.

Message 6 of 7
js0319
Established Contributor

You do have help from your parents, just not in the form of AU help. I would be very careful with those cards and how I use them if I were you as you can easily overextend yourself and have to ask for even more assistance from your parents. 

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.