Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wife's credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My wife's credit cards

I'll echo what Remmy said above, for all of her reasons. Clarifying that you don't live in a common property state, having all material titled possessions in your name and your daughter's (hers? That alone looks very suspect), planning to de-AU yourself from her reports and financially separate yourself fully before this goes down - all of this looks like planning to default/defraud her lenders. It has the same optics of people with insider information dumping stock in advance of a known upcoming sell off and devaluation.

If she walks away from all of this, she is definitely going to be besieged with collections and depending on the lenders, lawsuits. Her credit will obviously be annihilated, and as stated, you will then have to carry all credit burden going forward. Likely you'll also carry the majority of financial burdens in general too, as her income may be garnished/attached to repay the defaults, or to pay judgments and collections. Titled assets are traceable for ownership, and I imagine that if your wife is walking away from considerable dollar amounts of debt (which is likely - very few would walk away from $1500 of debt), and she is sued, they may find it funny that in a marriage, only one partner is the titular owner of every registered possession. Checking ownership and seeing that valuable assets were transferred to others before the debt was abandoned may create other issues. This is supposition on my part, the permissibility of tracing ownership, but my gut feel is that it's legal to investigate.

Im just going to throw this out here - you don't have to answer it, but please consider it. Is your daughter aware that she is the owner of whatever titled goods are in her name? If so, I hope she is fully aware of the responsibilities that accompany that. If not, I would urge you to reconsider doing so. 

Bankruptcy holds a certain stigma that really isn't applicable anymore. It would be a far better way to go for her, and would absolve her of these debts if she passes the Chapter 7 means test. They would not haunt her as they would if she just walks away from them, and the rebuild would likely be easier than trying to recover from abandonment. She can file for it without you also needing to, so you could remain unaffected by her filing and keep your credit intact.

I would strongly reconsider what looks like a plan in motion. I don't see any way it ends well.

Message 11 of 21
Chanduwar
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys for your valuable input.

Currently I am making most of the payments. In the current corona virus conditions where money is tough, I am just thinking ahead to what could be bad in future, like if income goes to a total standstill.

In a way I am between a rock and a hard place. I do not want her to default. What to do when money becomes sparce??

Our daughter knows this!!

Just very worried.

Chanduwar

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chanduwar wrote:

I live in Virginia. If my wife defaults in credit card payments, will I have to make the payments? Could I be responsible?

Will appreciate your input.

Chanduwar

Let's confirm a few things first - a bunch of people started spouting information as if they assumed you were dividing debt in a divorce! 

- Are you in a stable marriage, not getting divorced during this time? 

- Did you co-sign in any way on your wife's cards - any of them? 

- The fact that even in a married couple, a single spouse can file for bankruptcy without involving the other, leads me to believe that you will not be held jointly responsible for her debts if neither of the two aforementioned are the case. 

Message 13 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Chanduwar wrote:

I live in Virginia. If my wife defaults in credit card payments, will I have to make the payments? Could I be responsible?

Chanduwar

Let's confirm a few things first - a bunch of people started spouting information as if they assumed you were dividing debt in a divorce! 

- The fact that even in a married couple, a single spouse can file for bankruptcy without involving the other, leads me to believe that you will not be held jointly responsible for her debts if neither of the two aforementioned are the case. 

As far as "spouting" goes, OP has clarified that what "bunch"  has assumed to be the case here, a planned default, is in fact what's happening. 

You posted this after they clarified what they meant, which is not what you typed about, or "spouted", to borrow the term from you. 

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Chanduwar wrote:

Chanduwar

As far as "spouting" goes, OP has clarified that what "bunch"  has assumed to be the case here, a planned default, is in fact what's happening. 

You posted this after they clarified what they meant, which is not what you typed about, or "spouted", to borrow the term from you. 

Still mad over me disagreeing with you about SYNC? https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Credit-Cards-that-are-closing-accounts-or-decreasing-limits-for/td-p/5990792/page/7

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lmao the last thing @Remedios is going to care about is someone disagreeing with her on the internet Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Lmao the last thing @Remedios is going to care about is someone disagreeing with her on the internet Smiley Very Happy

Oh noes, really???  Someone disagreed with me???  Well, we cannot have that

Man-Punching-Snake-Funny-Gif-Photo-For-Whatsapp.gif

Message 17 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I still think that vegetables will lose to fruits.

Message 18 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Spout some fruits capable of fighting veggies high in fiber? 

Oh...you cant???

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b1/2c/e4/b12ce4ecafe9c6a817ce810fc361cfa6.gif

Message 19 of 21
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Spout some fruits capable of fighting veggies high in fiber? 

Oh...you cant???

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b1/2c/e4/b12ce4ecafe9c6a817ce810fc361cfa6.gif

I can.  Passion fruit.

Drop The Mic Emoticon GIFs | Tenor

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.