Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyDFS Refusing Balance Transfer

tag
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

MyDFS Refusing Balance Transfer

Anyone experienced Dell Financial Services refusing a balance transfer? I've got a balance on a promo plan due to expire in December and was told all BT's must take place within 90 days of the order. After that, they cannot proceed with balance transfers.

Find a bit odd, and asked where in the term agreement that's presented but.... silence.

Anyone know if this is usual?

My Wallet (Updated Sept 2023):
Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: MyDFS Refusing Balance Transfer

Where are you planning on transferring the balance to?  Which card?  If it's a card where BT funds can be depostied onto your checking account, then you can simply cut them a check and PIF.

Message 2 of 14
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Where are you planning on transferring the balance to?  Which card?  If it's a card where BT funds can be depostied onto your checking account, then you can simply cut them a check and PIF.

I was thinking of transferring it to either my CapOne card, or my Bank of America card. Only thing is if I have BT funds moved into a checking account, would that be considered a "cash advance" fee?

Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 3 of 14
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

I was thinking of transferring it to either my CapOne card, or my Bank of America card. Only thing is if I have BT funds moved into a checking account, would that be considered a "cash advance" fee?

I'm kind of confused. Smiley Happy If you want to transfer its balance to Cap1 or BofA, don't you initiate the BT at Cap1 or BofA? That's how I've always done BTs. So why would they not accept that?

In general terms, BT funds put into your checking account are NOT considered cash advances and do not incur fees or rates associated with them. But you need to read the terms and conditions of the BT you want to use--it will all be spelled out there, i.e., if depositing the money in your checking account is an option, it will tell you, and it will be a BT not a CA.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

If you are doing a BT and option to deposit money into checking is available, it's not considered cash advance. You'd be fine doing it that way. 

Message 5 of 14
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Does DFS even let you do BT's?. This is the first I'm hearing of this 👀

I only have the business revolving LOC so I might be lost here

Message 6 of 14
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

I'm kind of confused. Smiley Happy If you want to transfer its balance to Cap1 or BofA, don't you initiate the BT at Cap1 or BofA? That's how I've always done BTs. So why would they not accept that?

In general terms, BT funds put into your checking account are NOT considered cash advances and do not incur fees or rates associated with them. But you need to read the terms and conditions of the BT you want to use--it will all be spelled out there, i.e., if depositing the money in your checking account is an option, it will tell you, and it will be a BT not a CA.

Sort of confusing to me too... I explained to them that I wanted to transfer the balance on my DPA account to another credit card and kept, repetitively being told, they couldn't do that cause it has to meet three points of criteria for a BT to take place: (1) Item must be tangible (was a physical desktop, check), (2) Must be >$500 (almost everything from Dell is over this limit), (3) Must be within 90 days of purchase (asked to provide where in TOS this was stated and wasn't able to produce any.)

Ultimately, they said to just use my account number when signing in (excluding the first three digits) and give it to my "bank" and they can do the rest.

May have to look into the options of BT to a checking account and paying it off that way. Thanks everyone.

Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 7 of 14
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Sort of confusing to me too... I explained to them that I wanted to transfer the balance on my DPA account to another credit card and kept, repetitively being told, they couldn't do that cause it has to meet three points of criteria for a BT to take place: (1) Item must be tangible (was a physical desktop, check), (2) Must be >$500 (almost everything from Dell is over this limit), (3) Must be within 90 days of purchase (asked to provide where in TOS this was stated and wasn't able to produce any.)

Ultimately, they said to just use my account number when signing in (excluding the first three digits) and give it to my "bank" and they can do the rest.

May have to look into the options of BT to a checking account and paying it off that way. Thanks everyone.

Okay, keeping in mind that I have no experience with this particular creditor, let me just say that sounds like a pile of...STUFF!!! Smiley Surprised

Don't ask them anything. Don't tell them anything. Just go to whichever bank you want to use for the BT and initiate it. The only thing that the existing creditor sees is a payment paying off the balance. I've never seen or heard of a creditor REJECTING a payment just because it was a BT from another bank. A payment is a payment is a payment....  At least in my experience.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 8 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Okay, keeping in mind that I have no experience with this particular creditor, let me just say that sounds like a pile of...STUFF!!! Smiley Surprised

Don't ask them anything. Don't tell them anything. Just go to whichever bank you want to use for the BT and initiate it. The only thing that the existing creditor sees is a payment paying off the balance. I've never seen or heard of a creditor REJECTING a payment just because it was a BT from another bank. A payment is a payment is a payment....  At least in my experience.

Right, sounds like the OP misunderstood where to start a BT.  You go to the institution you want to have the balance on.   They basically cut a check (or equivalent electronic payment), pay your existing creditors and thus incyr a debt with the new institution. 

Unless op really wanted to transfer some new debt TO DFS

Message 9 of 14
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

If you are doing a BT and option to deposit money into checking is available, it's not considered cash advance. You'd be fine doing it that way. 

BoA is YMMV when it comes to this. I had a BT offer which I used a few years ago where it stated in the fine print that if I wrote the check to myself it would be considered a cash advance and the fee's would rack up accordingly. This was the route I was originally going to take as I wanted to consolidate quite a number of cards, so I called and the BoA CSR confirmed what the small print said. The CSR also stated that this isn't always the case, but with my particular offer, it was. I had to sit on the phone reading card numbers off for 30 minutes to complete what I wanted to do and then everything was fine.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.