Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NASA FCU

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

NASA FCU

I am currently attempting to join NASA FCU with the intent of applying for a credit card with hopefully a starting 5 figure limit.

I have read other posts where people have said the process was painless and completed instantly online.  In my case, they asked for a copy of my DL and a utility bill as proof of residency.  The catch is that our mortgage and all the utilities are in my wife's name.  I uploaded my DL along with my SS card for proof of identity and I also uploaded my weapons permit hopefully as proof of residency. 

Does anyone else have any experience with NASA FCU?  I can't seem to find a list of acceptable documents for proof of residency.  I thought I might try my vehicle registration if they don't like the weapon carry permit, but I would feel better if I could find a list of what they would take somewhere.

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
BootStraps
Established Contributor

Re: NASA FCU

I applied online and everything went smoothly.

I also called just in case I had missed anything (because it seemed too easy). I would suggest giving them a quick call. I found their customer service useful since I tend to ask a lot of questions... If you explain the situation, they may have acceptable alternatives that are not listed on the site.

Starting Score: All Under 590 (8/2011)
Current Score: Ex: 676 Eq: 681 Tu: 683
Goal Score: Ex: 725 Eq: 725 Tu: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Back in the Garden 4/22/16 Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 38
jaeproc
Contributor

Hey I'm also thinking about joining nasa.... if I may ask what credit bureau do they pull and was the membership a soft or hard pull? Thanks

Message 3 of 38
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

they didn't like me... I was declined cc

Message 4 of 38
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

OK I called in to ask what documents would work for proof of residency and I guess my gun permit was acceptable.  Account approved and opened!!  Woot!!

The girl said I would recieve an email by the end of the day.  No HP notifications yet.  I have daily pulls on EQ, but I already updated it this morning.  As soon as I get a notification I will update.

Now to start scoping out those cards!

Message 5 of 38
BootStraps
Established Contributor

They pulled experian for the credit card application. 

I guess they used the same pull to establish my membership because  I don't have any other pulls from Nasa.

Starting Score: All Under 590 (8/2011)
Current Score: Ex: 676 Eq: 681 Tu: 683
Goal Score: Ex: 725 Eq: 725 Tu: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Back in the Garden 4/22/16 Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

OK I called in to ask what documents would work for proof of residency and I guess my gun permit was acceptable.  Account approved and opened!!  Woot!!

The girl said I would recieve an email by the end of the day.  No HP notifications yet.  I have daily pulls on EQ, but I already updated it this morning.  As soon as I get a notification I will update.

I'm surprised you did it in that order (join and then see if there is a card you want!).   They have a good rewards card (Plat Cash Rewards) that gives 2% on the amount over $2K spend per year.  However, rewards are paid annually, which is a negative unless you want a big lump sum once a year as an enforced saving method.

Message 7 of 38
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

I'm surprised you did it in that order (join and then see if there is a card you want!).   They have a good rewards card (Plat Cash Rewards) that gives 2% on the amount over $2K spend per year.  However, rewards are paid annually, which is a negative unless you want a big lump sum once a year as an enforced saving method.

I was able to browse the cards, but to be honest what I'm really after is a 5 figure limit.  It wouldn't let me apply without logging in.  Or I couldn't find any way to anyway.

Yes, I will likely apply for the cash rewards card.  Hoping for a ridiculously high limit. 

Perhaps in the future I may utilize some of their other lending services.  I have a couple of vehicle purchases coming in the not too distant future for sure.  I like my local credit union but they seem a little conservative.

Message 8 of 38
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Wow!!  It looks like the branch in my hometown that is a shared branch with my local credit union is also a shared branch with NASA FCU.  SWEET!! 

I may actually go ahead and open up a checking account also.

Message 9 of 38
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Ouch!!  Application referred...  Said I would hear back in 2 to 3 days.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.