Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NASA FCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NASA FCU

NASA FCU is not as bad as some of you are suggesting.  Yes they are conservative but they do approve applications if you have the type of credit file that they are looking for.  This notion that you can't have inquiries and lots of new accounts just isn't true.  I joined last November and the membership was instantly approved but I was denied for the credit card.  At that time my scores were in the 680 range.  I tried again in Decmber after my scores had improved but I was declined again because they used the original SP. I'm persistent and tried again in January.  This time they did an HP and I was instantly approved for $25K.  At that time I had over 10 new accounts and about 12 inquiries and still was approved.  Just because they aren't as lenient as they were in the frenzy but they still approve applications.

Message 21 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was declined for cc and the letter says.

Principal reason. Insufficient number of satisfactory trades with required time in file. (5)

Length of time accounts have been establish (10 months)

Proportion of balance to high credit on bank revolving or all revolving accounts (20%)

Too many inquiries last 12 months (8)

Too many accounts recently opened

I app on feb and the last account was opened on december.

Experian wad 659
Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's usually sp for membership and CC app if declined .
Message 23 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's usually sp for membership and CC app if declined .

And usually SP if accepted if done at the same time as membership

Message 24 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct .
Message 25 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I missed the Shuttle back then and denied a card but approved a membership (score 697).

My scores jumped quite a bit since then so I'm hoping to re-apply again in the Fall when my recent app spree (2X Barclay, Venture) ages a bit.  

Looks like the high limits are still around; just stricter underwriting.

Message 26 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, all our utility and mortgage are in my DH's name, so I sent in my DL, our homeowners' insurance premium notice and the first page of my local checking account statement. That worked.  I did call and ask in advance if those documents were acceptable and the response I received, was "just send them in and we will take a look".  I did send them a message through log-in web portal telling them I why I was sending those documents instead of utility bill.  I never received any response to any of my messages, but I did finally get approved (membership only-not cc) about 7 days after I sent in the documents.   No hard pull, just soft pull.

Message 27 of 38
sarahlee7
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

NASA FCU is not as bad as some of you are suggesting.  Yes they are conservative but they do approve applications if you have the type of credit file that they are looking for.  This notion that you can't have inquiries and lots of new accounts just isn't true.  I joined last November and the membership was instantly approved but I was denied for the credit card.  At that time my scores were in the 680 range.  I tried again in Decmber after my scores had improved but I was declined again because they used the original SP. I'm persistent and tried again in January.  This time they did an HP and I was instantly approved for $25K.  At that time I had over 10 new accounts and about 12 inquiries and still was approved.  Just because they aren't as lenient as they were in the frenzy but they still approve applications.

Nobody was saying that they don't approve....What is being said is their CS is bad, and you really have no idea what, when, where, how and why they'll approve.

We, in general, have a pretty good idea of what a particular lender wants to see.  Not so with the NASA nut.

When high scores + 0 derogs + good income + low utilization = denial, just doesn't make sense.  And for them to take 3 wks to let you know that you have 'too much borrowing capacity', is a bit crappy, for lack of a better word.  Not to mention 2 wks for the recon denial - "doesn't meet our credit union policies"...thanks for taking 2 wks to tell me that.

Message 28 of 38
sarahlee7
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, all our utility and mortgage are in my DH's name, so I sent in my DL, our homeowners' insurance premium notice and the first page of my local checking account statement. That worked.  I did call and ask in advance if those documents were acceptable and the response I received, was "just send them in and we will take a look".  I did send them a message through log-in web portal telling them I why I was sending those documents instead of utility bill.  I never received any response to any of my messages, but I did finally get approved (membership only-not cc) about 7 days after I sent in the documents.   No hard pull, just soft pull.

Funny that when I got approved for membshership 5 mos ago, I didn't have to send in any documents or proof of anything....and then was quickly denied for a CC....and denied 5 months later with better scores, better income, lower utiliz, etc....better everystuff.

Message 29 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest, I am still rebuilding my credit and didn't necessarily expect to get the CC approval from NASA.  However, after getting Chase Freedom ($6K), CSP ($24K) ,BOA ($5K) and US Bank ($5k), I thought I might have a chance, but no go.  I'm going to garden for a year, work on my file and scores and try again.  

Their website is difficult to navigate and they are slow as molasses, but they are the only ones to deny me and I'm determined to eventually get an approval from them.  It was a soft-pull, so I'll overlook some of the shortcomings since Chase hit me with a double-pull.  Plus, when your DH (who has perfect credit) sees the envelope with NASA Credit Union and says "WOW -- NASA Credit Union--that's cool--how'd you get in there??!" it makes the inefficient customer service easier to swallow Smiley Happy

@sarahlee7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Funny that when I got approved for membshership 5 mos ago, I didn't have to send in any documents or proof of anything....and then was quickly denied for a CC....and denied 5 months later with better scores, better income, lower utiliz, etc....better everystuff.

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.