Did you mean: 

NASA FCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NASA FCU

@sarahlee7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

NASA FCU is not as bad as some of you are suggesting.  Yes they are conservative but they do approve applications if you have the type of credit file that they are looking for.  This notion that you can't have inquiries and lots of new accounts just isn't true.  I joined last November and the membership was instantly approved but I was denied for the credit card.  At that time my scores were in the 680 range.  I tried again in Decmber after my scores had improved but I was declined again because they used the original SP. I'm persistent and tried again in January.  This time they did an HP and I was instantly approved for $25K.  At that time I had over 10 new accounts and about 12 inquiries and still was approved.  Just because they aren't as lenient as they were in the frenzy but they still approve applications.

Nobody was saying that they don't approve....What is being said is their CS is bad, and you really have no idea what, when, where, how and why they'll approve.

We, in general, have a pretty good idea of what a particular lender wants to see.  Not so with the NASA nut.

When high scores + 0 derogs + good income + low utilization = denial, just doesn't make sense.  And for them to take 3 wks to let you know that you have 'too much borrowing capacity', is a bit crappy, for lack of a better word.  Not to mention 2 wks for the recon denial - "doesn't meet our credit union policies"...thanks for taking 2 wks to tell me that.

So far u have t had any problems with their customer service.  I do know that they can be frustrating to deal with.  Can I ask (not sure if I missed it somewhere ) but what did your credit file look like on the last application?  Scores, AAoA, etc..  Have you tried PenFed as an alternative.  Some very good cards and at least in my case, good starting CL.

Message 31 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarahlee7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello.

Please, what different forms of proof-of-residence does NASA FCU accept? If anyone has a comprehensive list they could share, that would be awesome! Proof of residence is the only thing holding up my application at the moment.

Thanks.

Utility bill?  Drivers' license? is usually all it takes to prove where you live.

Thanks, sarahlee7. I sent them a copy of my Driver's license (as proof of identity) and my social security card. My application is still on hold, pending my sending them proof of residency. I am sub-letting an apartment and the lease / utilities are in my roommate's name. I am wondering what other acceptable form of proof-of-residence I can provide.

Message 32 of 38
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sarahlee7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello.

Please, what different forms of proof-of-residence does NASA FCU accept? If anyone has a comprehensive list they could share, that would be awesome! Proof of residence is the only thing holding up my application at the moment.

Thanks.

Utility bill?  Drivers' license? is usually all it takes to prove where you live.

Thanks, sarahlee7. I sent them a copy of my Driver's license (as proof of identity) and my social security card. My application is still on hold, pending my sending them proof of residency. I am sub-letting an apartment and the lease / utilities are in my roommate's name. I am wondering what other acceptable form of proof-of-residence I can provide.

Old thread alert...

This thread is from January of last year in case no one noticed that.  Since then I have applied for a NASA CC again and been denied AGAIN.  "Too much available credit" or something similar was the only reason.  I'll never be reducing my available credit or pushing up my utilization so I'm never wasting my time with NASA again.

As far as proof of residency, my Georgia Weapons Carry Permit worked for me.  A vehicle registration might also work.

Message 33 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks wacdenny. I am currently rebuilding and I just need them for a savings secured loan. Not particularly interested in getting a cc from them. I was recently approved to join Alliant FCU, though. I have asked this in another thread, but, do you know if taking out two separate savings secured loans (if possible) will show up as two separate installment accounts on my CR?

Message 34 of 38
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks wacdenny. I am currently rebuilding and I just need them for a savings secured loan. Not particularly interested in getting a cc from them. I was recently approved to join Alliant FCU, though. I have asked this in another thread, but, do you know if taking out two separate savings secured loans (if possible) will show up as two separate installment accounts on my CR?

No idea, but installment loans are definately in a different category from revolving credit like credit cards.  Maybe you should consider an installment loan and a secured card for a better account type mix.  It might be wise to get these from two seperate lenders as well. 

As far as Credit Unions go I have found DCU and my local CU both very easy to work with.  Both have been great in terms of working with me on various types of loans.  Personal loans, auto loans, and credit cards...  The biggest issue I have with CUs is that they will only consider personal income rather than household income like most major banks do.

idk, I have had nothing but headache and heartache out of NASA.  Others have had better luck, but I can't recommend them.

Message 35 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wacdenney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No idea, but installment loans are definately in a different category from revolving credit like credit cards.  Maybe you should consider an installment loan and a secured card for a better account type mix.  It might be wise to get these from two seperate lenders as well. 

As far as Credit Unions go I have found DCU and my local CU both very easy to work with.  Both have been great in terms of working with me on various types of loans.  Personal loans, auto loans, and credit cards...  The biggest issue I have with CUs is that they will only consider personal income rather than household income like most major banks do.

idk, I have had nothing but headache and heartache out of NASA.  Others have had better luck, but I can't recommend them.

I see. Thanks for that. I will try out DCU, then. I currently have two CCs (One BOA secured and two recently approved CapOne cards). Based on advice from other members in the forum, I want to set up two installment accounts. I hear that this is the "magic mix" for those who have just started the rebuilding process.

Message 36 of 38
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I see. Thanks for that. I will try out DCU, then. I currently have two CCs (One BOA secured and two recently approved CapOne cards). Based on advice from other members in the forum, I want to set up two installment accounts. I hear that this is the "magic mix" for those who have just started the rebuilding process.

Oh ok then.  Well good luck with your endevour.  It sounds like you are on the right track.

Message 37 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a pretty quick and easy approval , low utilization (under 10% at the time) around 60k in credit, around a 10k credit line, the only thing ive noticed is payments are a bit on the slower side to process towards the balance, if you call them its much better assuming you call the call center that I usually call.  Emailing them is a no go from what ive seen.  Overall though its been a pretty positive experience and the times I have had to deal with them over th phone its been good.  As far as verification I never had to do any of it, I assume if you work for a large corp like I do that helps that part go by easy.  App process was decent but seemed a bit old fashioned, did have to sign electronic documents accepting my Nasa CC before they would finanalize, even though it was electronic you never appreciate how much easier it is to just have a machine do everything  instantly for you.  

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.