Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAVY FED - Granddaughter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NAVY FED - Granddaughter?

From what I'm reading  it will possibly take three HP for membership and how ever many for CC or other products. That seems excessive. Alliant was no HP, at all. Not even for a secured loan. 

Message 21 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just went into a NFCU branch this morning and qualified for membership through my grandfather (who died in 1983).  He wasn't a NFCU member, but was retired Air Force at the time of his death.  I brought in all the info I had on him and was approved for membership.  Signed up for savings and checking and then they offered me a credit card and I was approved for $14,000.  So yes, we granddaughters can get in~! Smiley Very Happy

Message 22 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed! Joined last week because of my grandfather being retired army. Approved membership and CashRewards (12.5K). 

Message 23 of 41
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

I'm also in the Granddaughter club. Although I fully expect to have a request for verification of my membership since even though I asked I wasn't required to send anything in. Just patiently waiting and trying to gather what I can from a side of the family that doesn't really believe in sharing.  Especially if it means you'll have something more than them. Smiley Sad

Current Score: EQ 699 TU 719 EX ? as of April-2016

Message 24 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went online and got the info from my grandfather's grave at the military cemetary where he is buried.  They didn't ask for additional info.

Message 25 of 41
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

Yeah I have all the basic info like rank, branch, station and was even able to dig up some USS General J. C. Breckinridge muster rolls with his name on Ancestry .com. Just like you, I didn't have a problem joining but from these boards it feels like 75% of new accounts that don't link directly to a current or previous member are frozen for verification shortly after opening. I just want to be a step ahead of the security department. lol

Message 26 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea the same happened to me. They didnt ask for any info...I told them I could get it and call back but they said No....I also googled my grandfather and found muster rolls (on ancestry.com) as well as information because of his grave site (he was buried in a military graveyard), my father also got my grandfathers army papers from my grandmom before she passed away because he wanted to join some places and needed proof that his father served. I found that out after I joined because I was looking for papers just in case NFCU requested verification because like you I read some people had their accounts froze and was asked for verification.....I didnt think I could join without having the paperwork but the guy insisted I could and it would be okay. So I now have the information I found offline as well as army papers. When I opened the account I was actually just calling to ask what I needed to prove my eligibility (was going to go to a branch to sign up) but the guy once again insisted that I dont need anything and he would love to open the account for me. From researching what NFCU wants during verification I found out that they request DD-214s on the retired family member (I believe thats what they are called).

I also went to a NFCU branch today to make a deposit and their branches are really nice!!
Message 27 of 41
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately a lot of bad information in this thread and I hope it works out for you guys but..

Veterans aren't eligible by the charter. They can't make exceptions as it is illegal. If your account gets audited expect closure.

Grandparents don't work directly. iIRC your parent (son/daughter of the grandparent) would need to join then sponsor you to join. I know there is debate on original Retired SM needing to be a member before anyone else is eligible (this is debated in the audit when the person is alive so being deceased will cause further issues).

The charter and eligibility guidelines aren't flexible they can't make exceptions as it would violate laws that govern credit unions. 

That at being said keep your heads low if you are in a gray area too many apps will call attention to yourself. Good luck! Smiley Happy

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 28 of 41
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

@TheGardner wrote:

Unfortunately a lot of bad information in this thread and I hope it works out for you guys but..

Veterans aren't eligible by the charter. They can't make exceptions as it is illegal. If your account gets audited expect closure.

Grandparents don't work directly. iIRC your parent (son/daughter of the grandparent) would need to join then sponsor you to join. I know there is debate on original Retired SM needing to be a member before anyone else is eligible (this is debated in the audit when the person is alive so being deceased will cause further issues).

The charter and eligibility guidelines aren't flexible they can't make exceptions as it would violate laws that govern credit unions. 

That at being said keep your heads low if you are in a gray area too many apps will call attention to yourself. Good luck! Smiley Happy

I'm most definitely not an expert on any of this, but this passage is directly from the NFCU website:

"FAMILY MEMBERS

including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren), and household members; Once your family members have joined, their family members are also eligible for membership."

My grandfather retired from the navy and from what I was told and read I'm eligible. That being said I have no interest in violating the law or having anything I'm not supposed to. If it's ever deemed I'm not eligible for membership I'm good with that and it won't be the end of the world. 

Message 29 of 41
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

@swtprncess281 wrote:

@TheGardner wrote:

I'm most definitely not an expert on any of this, but this passage is directly from the NFCU website:

"FAMILY MEMBERS

including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren), and household members; Once your family members have joined, their family members are also eligible for membership."

My grandfather retired from the navy and from what I was told and read I'm eligible. That being said I have no interest in violating the law or having anything I'm not supposed to. If it's ever deemed I'm not eligible for membership I'm good with that and it won't be the end of the world. 

** my uncle was the original sponsor so he joined - Aunt joined - mom joined for my eligibility.

This is was my confusion. So uncles don't work as stated above grandparent obviously does. Glad I tossed the IIRC statement in there Smiley Tongue

When I joined parents had to join for my eligibility which is why I stated the chain. But unfortunately that statement does say the original sponsor needs to be a member. 

Just to be clear, I am not saying what anyone did is "wrong" or anything like that.. I did point out why the CU cares as they will be the ones fined for violations which is why they audit membership in the first place. I'm a veteran and wasn't happy I had to ask others to join just so I could ( NFCU didn't accept all branched until 2008 after I got out!). 

Was just trying to help others with the keep your heads down statement.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.