Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW CREDIT CARD????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NEW CREDIT CARD????

Wanting to get a new credit card to add to my wallet. I already have the Capital One Journey Visa and the Capital One Cash Rewards MasterCard. I was leaning towards discover and wondered if they are any good? I have heard some bad things (not wideley accepted, high fees....etc) So just wanted some opinions.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Re: NEW CREDIT CARD????

Check to see if Discover has any pre-approved offers for you. Discover is a good card.
Message 2 of 12
ajh5408
Contributor

Don't often hear people complain about high fees in regard to Discover. In fact, you can get cash at many grocery stores at your purchase rate, meaning that if you pay off your balance every month, you can float it for free. Pretty cheap, convenient cash access as far as credit cards go... Their rewards, on the other hand, aren't particularly fantastic, aside from the revolving 5% categories which tend to compliment the Chase Freedom nicely. Benefits (like warranty, purchase protection, etc.) are also sparse or non-existant. Great customer service though, including some things AMEX doesn't have, like online chat support.

As Cain pointed out, it wouldn't hurt to try their pre-approval form and see if they have anything for you.

Message 3 of 12
r34dy2fly
Contributor

Whats your credit score and history looking like? I found that Discover is a much harder card to get approved for compared to everything else. For this reason, Discover was the company I was approved for. Had Visa/MC/AMEX since 2005. Got my discover approved in 2011.

Message 4 of 12
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

You could look at (if your scores are weak) at getting a walmart store card, that COULD one day PC into a Discover card.

Just an idea.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP,

Discover is an excellent company. Since its sounds like you are building credit as a limited credit having individual, why not apply for the Student Discover More card? Its just like the More card, but easier to get credit wise.

You more than likely wont need a cosigner

Good Luck
Message 6 of 12
learnin113
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wanting to get a new credit card to add to my wallet. I already have the Capital One Journey Visa and the Capital One Cash Rewards MasterCard. I was leaning towards discover and wondered if they are any good? I have heard some bad things (not wideley accepted, high fees....etc) So just wanted some opinions.

fees???

Message 7 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

You could look at (if your scores are weak) at getting a walmart store card, that COULD one day PC into a Discover card.

Just an idea.

Just want to make sure you understad that Walmart Discover is not the same as say "Discover More"

Walmart Card and Walmart Discover are backed by GE Bank.

I would run pre-approval, if they offer you one, Apply... Otherwise I would wait.

What are the limits on the 2 Capital One cards?

Is that ALL the credit you have?

how old?

Message 8 of 12
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

Just an idea.

Does that happen?  I thought it was another app and no PCs from Walmart card.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Limit on Visa - 1000  ( 1  1/2 YRS)

Limit on MasterCard - 750  ( about 5 months)

that and I have a a caar loan for around $13000 so that will be showing up. (had that for about a year, all on time good payments)

So I would hope discover would do it!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.