Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW PNC Travel Rewards Cards

tag
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

NEW PNC Travel Rewards Cards

Just wanted to pass this along to other PNC Bankers or those in the PNC service area who may be interested.

PNC just introduced two new travel rewards cards - BOTH with EMV Chips for those who are looking for them.

I called into PNC to talk to them about something else and then asked about the cards. They state they pull EX and report to all 3 bureaus. Since I have a BK, I asked about their friendliness and was told that they take the whole picture into consideration and if I have been on time since the BK, it will not be a problem. Similar to Chase, they also like if you already have an account with them - particularly one of the Virtual Wallet accounts where you can get extra bonus rewards for having those accounts.

For the short version, titles for each card are direct links to the cc page on the PNC site.

PNC Premier TravelerSM Visa Signature Credit Card

Introductory Offer

Introductory 0% Annual Percentage Rate (APR) on balance transfers for the first 12 billing cycles following account opening when the balance is transferred within the first 90 days following account opening.

Then a variable APR, currently 15.99%. This APR will vary with the market based on the prime rate.*

Annual Fee

• $0 Intro Annual Fee for the first year when your account is opened by December 8, 2013; $95 annual fee* each year after that.

Travel with rewards, not restrictions

• Earn 1 mile for every $1 you spend on your card in qualifying purchases.**
  • There's no limit on miles earned and they don't expire.
  • Eligible to purchase a discounted companion airline ticket once each year , as a thank you to you for your business1
  • No foreign transaction fees on international purchases.
  • Access to Visa Signature Concierge2 for assistance with your travel, dining and entertainment. And, other travel related benefits, including trip delay and lost luggage reimbursement.
  • Global Acceptance with an EMV chip in your card that ensures it works seamlessly anywhere in the world.

BOOST YOUR EARNING POTENTIAL

With a PNC Premier Traveler Visa Signature credit card, if you have a qualifying PNC Bank checking account and meet minimum balance and/or direct deposit requirements in one billing cycle:

• Get a 50% bonus on base miles earned - the best level of reward - with a PNC Virtual Wallet with Performance Select or PNC Performance Select Checking Account
  • Get a 25% bonus on base miles earned - with a PNC Virtual Wallet with Performance Spend or PNC Performance Checking Account

Redeeming your miles is flexible

• Redeem miles for airline tickets, rental cars, hotels or cruises - any date and destination - to receive a credit to your account up to the price of your travel
    • For airline tickets - Redemption starts at 25,000 miles for a ticket valued up to $315.
    • For rental cars, hotels or cruises - Get a $50 credit to your account for every 5,000 miles you redeem.
  • Redeem for cash - Get a $40 credit to your account when you redeem, starting at 5,000 miles.

=========================================================

PNC Premier Traveler ReserveSM Visa Signature Credit Card

• Annual Fee - $395
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 you spend on your card in qualifying purchases
  • Receive an anniversary bonus of 15,000 miles with $50,000 in annual qualifying purchases and balance transfers
  • Eligible to purchase a discounted companion airline ticket twice each year3
  • Access to Visa Signature® Concierge2 for assistance with your travel, dining and entertainment needs

Additional Travel Benefits

• Eligible to purchase a discounted companion airline ticket twice each year, as a thank you to you for your business1
  • No foreign transaction fees on international purchases
  • Access to Visa Signature® Concierge 2 for assistance with your travel, dining and entertainment needs. And, other travel related benefits, including trip delay and lost luggage reimbursement.
  • Global Acceptance with an EMV chip in your card ensuring that it works seamlessly anywhere in the world

Redeeming your miles is flexible

• Redeem miles for airline tickets, rental cars, hotels or cruises- any date and destination - to receive a credit to your account up to the price of your travel
    • For airline tickets - Redemption starts at 25,000 miles for a ticket valued up to $315.
    • For rental cars, hotels or cruises - Get a $50 credit to your account for every 5,000 miles you redeem.
  • Redeem for cash - Get a $40 credit to your account when you redeem, starting at 5,000 miles.

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: NEW PNC Travel Rewards Cards

Thanks for sharing 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 11
RemyWinchester
Contributor

These sound pretty horrible. 

$95/Annual fee for a 1:1 reward, and only get 1:1.5 if you have the top checking account at PNC? Pass. 

BoA Travel Rewards is flat 1.5% with no limitations on the type of travel and no AF. 

$395 for the other card? For that fee you might as well go all out AMEX or that Chase

Message 3 of 11
7ate9
Valued Member

I bank with PNC and I noticed these two new cards a couple days ago when I logged in to check my balances.  I like the idea of having a travel rewards card with the bank I maintain a relationship with, but these cards seem a little bit overpriced to me.  $95 for a card whose base earning rate is 1% seems a little steep given that cards like Quicksilver from Capital One offer 1.5% cash back across the board with NO annual fee.  Granted, they offer the opportunity to earn bonus points if you maintain accounts balances above a certain threshhold with them, or if you reach certain spending levels within a billing cycle. But if you need to tap into a savings account to cover an unexpcted expense (or use your card to cover the expense and then use your savings to pay the card down), you lose the ability to earn bonus points for that category until you build your savings back up.  Although they do offer the opportunity to purchase a "discounted" companion ticket, there aren't any details about how this is done, and that leads me to believe it doesn't really offset the annual fee.  I'm not at all opposed to an annual fee, but when there are alternatives that seem to provide as much or more AND cost less out of pocket, it makes me wonder what added value I would get out of this card vs its competitors.

And the one with a $395 annual fee??? Really PNC?

Am I the only one who doesn't see the value in these cards when compared to the likes of the Barclay Arrival, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Blue Sky or others?

TU08 740(1/20/16)

Last app: 06/19/2015
Message 4 of 11
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@RemyWinchester wrote:

These sound pretty horrible. 

$95/Annual fee for a 1:1 reward, and only get 1:1.5 if you have the top checking account at PNC? Pass. 

BoA Travel Rewards is flat 1.5% with no limitations on the type of travel and no AF. 

$395 for the other card? For that fee you might as well go all out AMEX or that Chase

I really like PNC, but they are out of touch with their fees and such on certain things. They have  a Visa Signature for business with a 500 annual fee, unless you spend 100,000 or more per year on it. These cards do not earn miles that can be trasnferred, so I doubt a lot of people will want them. You are better off getting their CashBuilder card with 1.75% back on everything and no annual fee. Their points are also worth .02 cents each I believe, so again, horrible rewards. I really think they need to hire other people to help them develop their credit cards.

They will also pull from any bureau you like if you speak with an underwriter, which they very easily let you do. I requested an increase and asked the lady to pull TransUnion and she did it without any questions as to why I didn't want them to pull Experian.

Message 5 of 11
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Everything about the $95 AF version just screams worse version of CSP. PNC isn't very good at offering attractive, competitive cards, IMO. I guess it's a decent EMV No FTF card but there are other cards I can find for that purpose as well but once EMV is more common, it goes back to being an unattractive card with little redeeming qualities.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 6 of 11
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

These really suck, and there's no real way to sugar-coat that.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 11
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

... post was not put up properly... ugh!

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 8 of 11
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

I was going to state something about the EMV which I thought was interesting since its not common, but at the same time, my NFCU Flagship Visa Siggy give 2:1 when redeemed for travel for $49 AF and with enough points I can get that taken care of also. They aren't immediately attractive, but then not everyone can go out and get an AMEX right away either. PNC states with the right scores they are BK friendly, so they have to be hoping some will be interested in them.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to deal with any more AF cards regardless, AMEX included, if I can get similar cards that don't have them. That's where my turn off comes in.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how PNC will evolve over time, if at all.

Message 9 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:
These really suck, and there's no real way to sugar-coat that.

+1

The value proposition seems tenuous, at best.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.