Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU APR Reduction

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU APR Reduction

Wow, somehow I missed this. Glad it got bumped.

Congrats, @UncleB, and thank you for the data point. I was happy to get the low 10.x% for my Flagship and DW was happy to get the low 8.49% on her Platinum (before they dropped the floor on it, of course).  Certainly helps to know that she can likely also get the same deal you got in 2018.

I do believe that card is ultimately the lowest APR card readily available to a mass audience.  (While there are limitations, NFCU still has 8 million members and growing so I consider that mass.)  There's the FNBO prime for life card, but that has an AF and unless you are carrying a balance and can't get other low/no APR offers elsewhere it doesn't really make sense.

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

I sent NFCU a SM asking if they could check my Platinum MasterCard to see if I was eligible for a lower rate.  I was at a respectable 10.99% and was hoping to get a couple points knocked off that; my reduction last year was 1%. ( I sent a SM last week but I was a few days too early; honestly I forgot about it until today.)

After an hour or so they replied that my new APR is 6.99%Smiley Very Happy

While not a big deal (I seldom carry a balance) it's nice to have the option to do so at a low rate.  It's also a personal best for me... I've never had a rate this low before.  Smiley Happy

I seldom use the card (due to lack of rewards) and I had considered changing it to a Cash Rewards but I think I'll leave it as a Platinum.  I have enough other rewards cards and while I would like to give Navy more of my swipes they seem to be happy with the current arrangement (and so am I).  For reference, my EQ FICO 9 as reported by NFCU is 775.

Hopefully the data point will help others.  Smiley Wink

Yowser! Now that is one fine APR! Big Congrats!

Message 12 of 13
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Wow, somehow I missed this. Glad it got bumped.

Congrats, @UncleB, and thank you for the data point. I was happy to get the low 10.x% for my Flagship and DW was happy to get the low 8.49% on her Platinum (before they dropped the floor on it, of course).  Certainly helps to know that she can likely also get the same deal you got in 2018.

I do believe that card is ultimately the lowest APR card readily available to a mass audience.  (While there are limitations, NFCU still has 8 million members and growing so I consider that mass.)  There's the FNBO prime for life card, but that has an AF and unless you are carrying a balance and can't get other low/no APR offers elsewhere it doesn't really make sense.

Actually I have an 8.49 card from HFCU but they don't seem to cater to folks with a fistful of cards... A few members on myfico seemed to be slighted that they werent approved...  Really think folks are convienently forgetting theres more to credit than just your score.. Banks dont want to extend credit that isnt going to be used..... esp some more conservative CUs.... and some of us have gotten used to our scores open the door to everything when this is not always the case...

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.