Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU / Amex questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU / Amex questions

long time lurker first time poster

Started years ago with awful credit let everything age off.

Only baddie on my profile are student loan lates from oct 2013-april 2014 which will fall off this October.

Well I was stupid got a car loan last year in April then got 4 cards back to back to back, cap 1 quicksilver, Best buy visa, credit one, and Kohl's. Waited a while I started apping for more stuff again around October, got a target card, Walmart card, a plat from cap one and a discover, well I started to read the forums and had an in with nfcu, opened account December 17 2019 with go rewards card approved with 500 dollars. Been using and paying in full before due date have my utilization at 1% on all cards do rotate and use but pay all before cut

I had a fifth third secured card for two years and closed it stupidly April 2019  because was dumb because they wouldn't unsecure as promised.

Current credit looks like this

Ex fico 8 700 (10 inqs, 5 due to 12 month out in April)

Tu Fico 8 682 (21 inqs, 12 due to 12 month out in April)

Eq Fico 8 676 (10 inqs, 6 due to 12 month out in April)

Slightly under 11 k on student loans which I am paying on and plan on using tax return to pay significant chunk on.

Auto loan from April terrible interest started at 11.8k down to 9700

Really want an Amex and can't get prequalify, also have coming and going prequals from cap one for all cards but for highest interest rates, I'm not trusting that and not taking triple pull, the prequalify some times populated and sometimes doesn't and no point with nfcu in my pocket.

No new inq on any bureau since Dec 17 2019 due to nfcu card pull

91/3 is coming up in a couple weeks, should I app for the second card or just an cli on the first card, how much more damage is one inquiry really going to do, am I going to gain points from those inqs falling off in April?

Current cards 

Kohl's 1500 limit (04/19)

Quicksilver one 500 limit (4/19)

Best buy visa 1000 (refuse to cli) (4/19)

Credit one 750 (4/19)

Target 300 (9/19)

Quicksilver 400 (9/19)

Walmart 300 (10/19)

Discover 1250 (11/19)

NFCU go rewards 500 (12/19)

No apps or inquiries since then, eq is on no inq since November TU is on no inq since 12/17/19 ex is on no inquiries since 12/19 

Thanks for answering all my noob questions

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU / Amex questions

Honestly, I would keep what you have right now and garden awhile. You have a nice setup right now. Let the cards you have age. Personally, I've seen maybe a couple point increase in my scores when inquiries fell off my report. Good luck!

Message 2 of 20
AllZero
Mega Contributor

You might yield higher credit line with 2nd Navy card.

1st card, based on your $500 SL, it might only yield 3x CLI. 6 month or longer wait might be more favorable.

I would recommend calling in and see if you're prequal'ed for any cards. If no offers, then best to garden.
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for being so nice and supportive,

I was thinking myself of waiting until June when I have a little more age on there, and that'll be before the bonuses go away as I'm not desperate for the extra credit, I believe waiting will yield a better limit and or apr, may still go for the cli in March here, if sp cli seems to be still going on, and hold off on second card until then as long as cli isn't going to quash the chance of the second card, maybe I will call and see about prequalify hopefully I don't get someone who claims they don't do that

Message 4 of 20
AllZero
Mega Contributor

The longer history with Navy usually gets better results. YEMV.

Good luck.
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it's just hard to resist all the dps of people getting 5 digit cards at 91/3 lol

Message 6 of 20
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Welcome, @Anonymous. Smiley Happy

Except for a second NFCU card, don't apply for anything new until your newest current card is a year old.

You can go ahead and close your QuicksilverOne and Credit One cards. They'll look just as good on your report as closed cards.

Come January, apply for AMEX. You'll likely see a much nicer outcome than you'd see right now. After that, don't rush to add cards. Averaging a card every six months is fine. In the meantime, request credit limit increases on your Discover card. Trying 60 days after an approval or 30 days after a denial is probably a sensible approach.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the welcome, I wasn't intending on any other cards after the 2nd nfcu this year period, my process is the sooner I would get it the sooner it would help build my age up vs waiting on it, if I call after 91/3 and they tell me I qualify for everything including flagship I'll pull the trigger, because I'll know any one I pick will get over 5k limit if not I'll wait, also I'm sure the fact my student loan balances are actually over initial disbursements scare amex plus the credit seeking behavior, don't worry I have no interest in the cap one cards, only other thing I'm interested in is nfcu cloc, I have moved all my money there including direct deposits and multiple business debit transfers of multiple hundreds every day I'm sure they are loving me for sure lol

Message 8 of 20
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@Chandler455 I would seriously  apply for the Cloc since you have your deposits  and other finances with Nfcu. Ask for the full $15,000 Nfcu will counter offer if you don't  get the full $15,000. Good Luck and welcome to the forums!

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gingerflower wrote:

@Chandler455 I would seriously  apply for the Cloc since you have your deposits  and other finances with Nfcu. Ask for the full $15,000 Nfcu will counter offer if you don't  get the full $15,000. Good Luck and welcome to the forums!

There are many times they don't counter on CLOCs. The system can auto decline if you shoot too high for your profile. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.