cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU, Capital One, and Discover IT! Thanks!

tag
tschaet
Regular Contributor

NFCU, Capital One, and Discover IT! Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice and information on here.  I started off with the Discover IT Secured Card 10 months ago, but I finally started taking my credit and finances seriously these past two months and, as a result, have improved on my scores and been approved for a $1000 Capital One Platinum Card and a $1,700 GoRewards card with NFCU.  I never thought I'd be approved for either of those.  Now I'm working on keeping my utilization down on the Discover card so that it can become unsecured.

I do have two questions about these cards though:

1) From what I have gathered, after about two months of having the Platinum card, I should go onto the site and use the live chat to request a PC to the Quicksilver card?

2) When exactly should one request a CLI?

These forums have been a great resource!

$1700$2000
5/2022 Credit Karma Scores:

April 2022 FICO Scores:

May 2022 FICO Scores:
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU, Capital One, and Discover IT! Thanks!

I can not help with the questions you asked because I am not as knowledgeable as others will be but I wanted to congradulate you on your new cards and score increase!

Message 2 of 6
tschaet
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I can not help with the questions you asked because I am not as knowledgeable as others will be but I wanted to congradulate you on your new cards and score increase!

Thanks!  Still a long way to go and it's embarrassing how little I knew before, but we all start somewhere Smiley Happy

$1700$2000
5/2022 Credit Karma Scores:

April 2022 FICO Scores:

May 2022 FICO Scores:
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tschaet wrote:

Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice and information on here.  I started off with the Discover IT Secured Card 10 months ago, but I finally started taking my credit and finances seriously these past two months and, as a result, have improved on my scores and been approved for a $1000 Capital One Platinum Card and a $1,700 GoRewards card with NFCU.  I never thought I'd be approved for either of those.  Now I'm working on keeping my utilization down on the Discover card so that it can become unsecured.

1) From what I have gathered, after about two months of having the Platinum card, I should go onto the site and use the live chat to request a PC to the Quicksilver card?

Congratulations!!!! I just started rebuilding a few months ago after a BK7 a couple of years ago and this site has been an amazing resource. Looks like you have the same three cc companies that I do. Discover, Cap 1 and NFCU. 

As for your questions:

1. Yes, you can check whether you have an upgrade offer on the Platinum to QS anytime. I have read a few accounts on here where it was almost immediate. But, I think two months might be better. For me, I pc'd my QS1 to a regular QS after 91 days of opening the card. So, YMMV. 

2. As for CLI, with Cap 1, it is suggested you wait at least 90 days to request a CLI. Also, you should receive an automatic CLI at about 6 months, as you are probably in the credit steps program with the platinum card.  For NFCU, it is suggested you wait 90 days after opening and for a recent AR to take place. AR (account reviews) take place every 60 days. The next one is due end of December or beginning of January (from what I gather reading here). And the next one will be sixty days after that.

Hope this helps. 

Again, congrats!

Message 4 of 6
jonfive
Established Member

@tschaet wrote:

I'm in the same boat, almost identically!

I started with cap1 secured

Got offered Citi DC

Got offered Cap1 Plat

On my way with NFCU currently

Cap1 Plat: I've read previously (can't find the link for the life of me); after 5 on-time payments, a higher CL would be available.

If i can find it i'll link it

Couldn't have done ANYTHING without these fine folks Smiley Happy

I've learned more in 3 days than I have my whole life!

Congrats!

Synchrony Amazon: 1500 | Synchrony Mavis Tire: 1900 | Chase Amazon: 2200 | Citi Doublecash (1): 500 | Citi Doublecash (2): 1000 | BestBuy: 3000 | Credit One: 2900 (closing) | Capital One Platinum: 1800 | Amex Blue: 2500 | NFCU CashRewards: 5000 | NFCU CLOC: 6000 | Paypal Credit: 2000 | Ikea: 2200 | Wellsfargo Microcenter: 1900
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

A data point for you 

CapOne Platinum

- I started off with a $1k CL after reconning a denial. Had to submit w2's

- I PC'd my card to the QS (1.5% cash back, no annual fee) 13 days after my account was open (yes, 13 days)

- After my 2nd statement cut (61 days after my account opened) the CLI button finally appeared on my online account so I clicked that baby and BOOM, I got a $1k CLI bringing me to a $2k CL

- After my 6th statement cut (6 months after my account opened) I received my Credit Steps CLI for $500 bringing me to a total of $2500 CL

*Also just an FYI, credit steps initially told me soon after I opened my account that if I made online payments for 6 months that I'd get a CLI to $1500 at the 6 month mark. Well that went out the window when I got my $2k CLI at 2 months Smiley Happy

* I put about $500-$800 through the card monthly, never going over 30% utilization at one time and I PIF'd multiple times per month

Goo luck with your card OP and hopefully you can have similar or even better results!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.