credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

NFCU Card Combination -- $59,000!!!

Hi All, 

I had (2) Navy cards:

• Navy GoRewards WMC at $34,000
  • Navy More Rewards Amex at $25,000

Now I have:

• Navy Flagship Rewards VS at $59,000!!!

Navy is tricky these days with 'combining' cards. I had personaly tried in July and December of 2018 and both times got the standard "we're not in the practice of doing this" denials. Last night I decided to ring them up and plead my case again.

The Request: "I've got some large purchases coming up (which is true) and want to be mindful of utilization. Both existing limits are great, but I'd like to see if I could convert my GoRewards to a Flagship, then close the Amex and add that available credit to the Flagship."

The Why: "I want to be able to charge $10k-$13k on one card, and by doing these changes I'd still keep my utilization (on that card) under 25%, saving me from real damage to my credit scores in the process. Plus, I'll get more useful rewards with the flagship (a generously broad 3% on travel + 2% on everything else with a modest $49 annual fee)."

The Result: She shared "Well you have thought this thru and make some excellent, and valid, points. Navy wants to help you achieve your goals and you don't get a 797 FICO by accident. At the same time what's the point of having good credit if you can't use it! Here's is what we can do..." -- I think i really lucked out by getting this agent. She was probably the most poised and knowledgeable agent I've encoutered with Navy, and I've been with them since 2007. 

12 hours later, the Amex has been closed out, the GoRewards converted to a Flagship, and I'm sporting a newly combined limit of $59,000!!! Smiley Very Happy She did say she'd have to request it thru the back office and it could take 2-3 days. I was expecting this since I had read that standard statement on here on a few different posts, but this one went thru very quickly. I called them around 10p EST last night and the changes were showing online around 9a EST today. 

You can definitely say that as of right now Navy has me tickled pink Smiley Tongue 

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Card Combination -- $59,000!!!

Nicely done. And thank you for the clear details on how you pulled it off.

Have you been a member a long time? Surely a card has to be open a certain period of time before they'll consider?

Will you be able to get the SUB on Flagship? It's 500 smackeroos.

Message 2 of 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

BIG CONGRATS😀

Ive always said when requesting moving limits, always be  consise and honest with your plans. Navy will take it much more seriously then if you demand it. Great job. 

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

... always be concise and honest ... 

Words to live by, yes?

Message 4 of 28
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nicely done. And thank you for the clear details on how you pulled it off.

Have you been a member a long time? Surely a card has to be open a certain period of time before they'll consider?

Will you be able to get the SUB on Flagship? It's 500 smackeroos.

I won't be getting the SUB, and I'm okay with that. I'm trying to stay in the garden so opening up new accounts is the last thing on my agenda. I've been a memeber since 2007 and got into their cards back in 2016 so not too long, but long enough I guess. I was more interested in keeping the tenure on the GoRewards and converting than chasing a 3rd card. The bonus is def nice, but for me not opening any new accounts is more of a Win for me. 

Message 5 of 28
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

... always be concise and honest ... 

Words to live by, yes?

Thanks @AJC!

@James_A -- sure is. When I'm upfront about my agenda, they are much more responsive. I think what really helped was that I was able to articulate the plan, not just shared a vague idea and let them come to their own conclusions. 

Message 6 of 28
shmacckk
Regular Contributor

Yes I have tried a few times to get my two cards combined and was told the same thing that they do not do that anymore.

Thing with mine is I am joint on both cards with my wife. I am primary on one that is a 38k limit and the wife is primary on the Flagship at 50k. They alwyas told me the do not combine joint cards unless primary is the same on both cards.

I just recently asked again to combine stating I need a large limit due to the large amounts of balance transfers I took advantage of since we got targeted for the 0 percent offer and they gave it to us so now we have a 80k Flagship card which helps not to have it maxed out when the balance transfers post.

Out of all lenders we have Navy has been the best for us and its not even close.

Message 7 of 28
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@shmacckk wrote:

Yes I have tried a few times to get my two cards combined and was told the same thing that they do not do that anymore.

Thing with mine is I am joint on both cards with my wife. I am primary on one that is a 38k limit and the wife is primary on the Flagship at 50k. They alwyas told me the do not combine joint cards unless primary is the same on both cards.

I just recently asked again to combine stating I need a large limit due to the large amounts of balance transfers I took advantage of since we got targeted for the 0 percent offer and they gave it to us so now we have a 80k Flagship card which helps not to have it maxed out when the balance transfers post.

Out of all lenders we have Navy has been the best for us and its not even close.

Dang! Ballin' with the $80,000 Flagship - that's how to get it done. I'm not quite there yet, but now that I know it's definitely possible, I got my eye on it. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 8.36.54 PM.png

Message 8 of 28
DemonHusker
Regular Contributor

Thats awesome. I just combined my two cards yesterday morning. $3,000 Amex into my Flagship so one account at $18,000. I just sent a message If they could combine and then close the Amex and they did it that evening. They didn't tell me anything about not being able to do it, only that I wouldn't be eligible for another cl increase for 6 months.
Message 9 of 28
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Nice Job Demon! The only resistance they gave me was “well your two card together exceed the maximum limit” - which I knew so I went in knowing it would need to go to a Flagship, and I’m OK with that. The Amex has a good rewards setup, but between my BCP @ 6% Groceries and USAA @ 5% Gas Stations, the Navy Amex just didn’t have any compelling reasons to come out of the sock drawer.
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.