Did you mean: 

NFCU Card Combination -- $59,000!!!

tag
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Card Combination -- $59,000!!!

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

... now that you have one card that is over the "$50K" limit by quite a bit, watch and see what your scores do now.  Let us know if this particular card is now taken out of your overall available credit equation.  Smiley Wink

Would you mind expanding on these two comments for those of us that don't follow what you're getting at? 

This may help answer your question, search "50K Credit Limits & FICO 8 Utilization Testing Thread" under the "Understanding FICO scoring" forum on this site. As a "brief" summary, there were indications that when a card credit limit exceeded $50,000, it would no longer count under the utilization segment of your score. 

Sample: Let's say I have 4 Cards ($10,000 + $25,000 + $25,000 + $47,000 = $107,000) with a balance of $9,000. The basic math to calculate utilization would be $9,000 / $107,000 = 8.4% Total UTI. However let's say I received an increase from $47,000 to $55,000 on card #4. Some scoring models stated that any card above $50,000 would be excluded from UTI calculation, so the updated UTI equation would be $10,000 + $25,000 + $25,000 + $0 = $60,000. 

$9,000 / $60,000 = 15% UTI, almost double what it was before the card reached $50k. Some reports show going above $50k had no impact and it counted as normal. Some reports stated it got removed as described in my sample, and as a result credit scores dropped.

The score drop was initiated because a UTI threshold was crossed. In this sample we went from "<10%" to ">10%" which does impact scores in the real world. Hope that helps and someone please chime in if I've got that wrong..

I know, I know..1st world problems lol Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great explanation. I'd had no idea. Thank you. 

Message 22 of 28
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Great explanation. I'd had no idea. Thank you. 

There's a Part B to the whole equation - whether that one card above $50k was the only one with a reported balance, but I didn't get into that as I always have at least 3 to 4 cards report a balance. As always YMMV, but for me when I have only 1 card with a balance, I expereince a slight dip. When I have a couple of cards with balances I tend to gain a few points for some reason. Someone smarter than me might be able to explain why, but for me I never have them all at $0 or even just one. 

Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Card Combination

It’s been 6 months since my last CLI on my Flagship ($20K) and I was thinking about combining it with my Platinum ($20K) to make a $40K Flagship.

My question is should I try for a credit limit increase first on the Flagship and then combine or will that possibly affect the combining.
Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go for the CLI first. You won’t be able to get a CLI for 6 months after making a combination because it is a change in your credit limit. Same thing happened to me for moving limits between two cards.

Keep in mind that YMMV on combinations, they’re not typically NFCU policy. Worst case scenario you can ask them to cut your platinum to $500 and move the rest of it to your Flagship though.
Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Go for the CLI first. You won’t be able to get a CLI for 6 months after making a combination because it is a change in your credit limit. Same thing happened to me for moving limits between two cards.

Keep in mind that YMMV on combinations, they’re not typically NFCU policy. Worst case scenario you can ask them to cut your platinum to $500 and move the rest of it to your Flagship though.

Awesome, thank you for the response.

*Side note, I believe it was you that had issues with BECU. I went through the same thing after being approved for membership, a credit card and a line of credit. Two weeks later my account was suspended and I had to show proof of residence and it was a hassel, after many attempts I was finally approved, again.

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep that was me.

Sorry that you went through it too. I decided to back off of CUs for awhile and just swallowed my 98c lesson (for the faxes), got my $25 back from the foundation, and decided that my bank is perfectly acceptable. When I called my bank to switch things back to the way they were (I had canceled my savings and changed my checking account since I didn’t want to pay $10 a year for my debit card anymore), they were actually so awesome they even opened my savings with the same account number despite it being closed for about 3 months so I think leaving my bank would have been a mistake and maybe I should be thankful that BECU fell through.

I am glad to hear you got it sorted with them!
Message 27 of 28
UH_HUH
Valued Contributor

Congrats Credit_is_Crack,

Good to have nice things :-)

Cheers

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.