cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Card questions including What makes a card a signature card?

tag
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

NFCU Card questions including What makes a card a signature card?

I have not much experience with signature cards and was wondering with NFCU what does it take to have your card become a signature card.  I had a $5k secured nRewards card that unsecured at $5k and I PC'ed it to a GoRewards card.  At some point does that card automatically change to a signature card or is that something to apply for? 

Also, I think that my TU and EQ FICO scores are about to break 600 and go somewhat higher and was wondering if at some point in the next couple months would applying for a second card might be worth a try.  My question is whether the PC to a GoRewards on Nov 21st starts some kind of clock with NFCO like the 91 day, 3 statements deal.  One INQ each on TU and EQ and one new account. (Discover Secured)

I do not know my internal NFCU score but it is likely decent after 27 months of perfect payment history and paying in full for the last 6-7 months.  Also have a SSL with them.  Thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

10 REPLIES 10
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Card questions including What makes a card a signature card?

Congrats on your card getting unsecured! Yay you!  000congratsTinkerbell249.gif

Visa Sig are usually $5000 or over so it should automatically convert. Have you received your new card yet?

Also can check your account online as it should say "Sig" on the acct.

If you can hold off on a cli for 90 days and get your score up a little, you might have better luck but Navy- they dance to their own tune so it's possible you could get an increase/second card sooner. The DP's are all over the map with them.

Message 2 of 11
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

Congrats on your card getting unsecured! Yay you!  000congratsTinkerbell249.gif

Visa Sig are usually $5000 or over so it should automatically convert. Have you received your new card yet?

Also can check your account online as it should say "Sig" on the acct.

If you can hold off on a cli for 90 days and get your score up a little, you might have better luck but Navy- they dance to their own tune so it's possible you could get an increase/second card sooner. The DP's are all over the map with them.

Thank you.  Yes, I recieved the card yesterday, $5k limit but no Signature under the Visa or online.  Does it have to be $5,001?? Smiley Happy   I had thought it would have converted due to it being $5k.  Is it based on CL or on FICO's or could it be that since this was a secured account that has an effect?  As for a CLI, I will let them reward me as another card would be more useful first...

I have been getting intermittant offers on line for the flagship but have not gone for it.  Since I have 1 INQ each on TU and EQ I may try for another card toward the end of the month depending on score.  I need a third card in the lineup and might as well try for a NFCU unsecured before going for another secured. 

Yes, I have read and read about NFCU and it seems that they weigh DTI and history with them heavily.  There are dozens who received big SL's with scores below 600 and many even before their secured graduated.  I will certainly report back when I jump.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 3 of 11
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Signature is based on CL, usually.. $5000 is enough to trigger it- my NFCU Visa is the Cash Rewards & it's a sig card.

I can see the secured not being sig but once it unsecured & converted, it should have upgraded.. Humm

My second card with Navy had a huge SL of $25000 but I waited 6 months from my first card.

I'm not sure how the history with a secured plays into getting approved for larger second cards but I'm sure somebody around here is in the know. 

You have a fairly long history with your first card and as long as it was excellent payments etc...  You might have good results..

Yes, please keep us posted...

You have very few inquiries so if you can spare one, you can always app for the second card. It wont hurt too much if declined, it's only a HP. 

Best of luck when you do!!

aaa1 Good Luck.gif

Message 4 of 11
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

Signature is based on CL, usually.. $5000 is enough to trigger it- my NFCU Visa is the Cash Rewards & it's a sig card.

I can see the secured not being sig but once it unsecured & converted, it should have upgraded.. Humm

My second card with Navy had a huge SL of $25000 but I waited 6 months from my first card.

I'm not sure how the history with a secured plays into getting approved for larger second cards but I'm sure somebody around here is in the know. 

You have a fairly long history with your first card and as long as it was excellent payments etc...  You might have good results..

Yes, please keep us posted...

You have very few inquiries so if you can spare one, you can always app for the second card. It wont hurt too much if declined, it's only a HP. 

Best of luck when you do!!

aaa1 Good Luck.gif 

Thanks. 

I was hoping for the signature logo but in the grand schemem of things, that does not matter so much.  It would have been cool though.

It it hard to know with Navy.  From what I have read, 27 months of perfection likley counts for something!  I recieved the Secured when I was at a 408 FICO 08 and am now, at last count 591.  I suspect I might be a bit higher today as that score was the first week of Nov, before my Secured Discover reported.  I am currently at 0% UTI, 21% DTI and did have an EQ alert that my score had risen a few days after my DC reported.  I have a total of 4 INQ's, (2) on EX and have been very patient and strategic.  NO store cards, no bottom feeders, PIF etc.

I do still need that 3rd revolver...  I have a PSECU paper app filled out and deposited funds in Apple FCU  (both seem to be pretty automatic for approval).  Niether of those graduate but they both keep history after you are approved for an unsecured.  Apple actually states they need only a 580 TU Fico with improving credit to be approved for an unsecured card.  But still, a NFCU More Rewards card with a 5k plus CL would be so much better as that magic 3rd revolver. Smiley Happy  I am in 3rd revolver limbo!

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

Message 5 of 11
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

I just checked and the GoRewards is a Mastercard..

I Have Cash Rewards & it's a Visa Card.. 

Sorry I didn't look sooner..

WAIT: Looked again and now see Visa as well. Sheesh... Nevermind.. I thought the mystery was solved. LOL

Message 6 of 11
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

I just checked and the GoRewards is a Mastercard..

I Have Cash Rewards & it's a Visa Card.. 

Sorry I didn't look sooner..

WAIT: Looked again and now see Visa as well. Sheesh... Nevermind.. I thought the mystery was solved. LOL

Yes, they have two versions.  I picked the VISA so I would have the same number and CVV. 

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am actually curious to see what happens when my cashRewards hits 5K myself (3K SL). 

A buddy of mine got a letter that they were upgrading him to Sig after he crossed the 5K threshold so I guess we will see!

Message 8 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Op, signature or not, the more important thing is that you are trending upward with your credit! Congrats on getting unsecured. Those things like getting signature cards will come. But just putting yourself in a better spot is a good thing. Navy can be a big "ymmv" lender when it comes to scores vs cards, limits, etc. It never hurts to get your profile a bit stronger and wait to go for something else. But as already stated, sometimes with Navy that may not be a deal breaker.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Signature is nice to hear but you really only need it if you actually use the benefits. Most of us do notSmiley Wink
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.