Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Cash Rewards cellphone insurance to end

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: NFCU Cash Rewards cellphone insurance to end

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Kinda lame, but at the same time, I don't use it because I'd rather get $10 off/line using autopay with my debit card on Verizon.

If you have Paypal key you can get that plus any credit card rewards/coverage

Message 11 of 22
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Interestingly enough I just got an email a coupe of days ago saying from Wells Fargo/Dillard's saying that I now have cell phone protection up to $600 if I use the card to pay the bill.   I often forget that I still have this card and shocked that it hasn't been closed due to inactivity.   

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some of the Amex cards offer it. Off the top of my head, the platinum cards and the Hilton Aspire. 

Message 13 of 22
summerterrace
Regular Contributor

It's still a benefit on the NFCU Flagship although the coverage is only $250 per claim.

US Bank Altitude Reserve, Delta Gold Am Ex, PenFed Power Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Navy Federal Flagship, Chase Freedom, IHG Rewards Club Premier, Marriott Bonvoy Premier
Message 14 of 22
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@summerterrace wrote:

It's still a benefit on the NFCU Flagship although the coverage is only $250 per claim.

Have you called in to NFCU? By chance i called in friday and the csr told me they made the decision to end cell phone coverage on 1/21  in a meeting friday morning  so technically i still have coverage until then. I know flagship is the primo card so maybe that particular card will still have the coverage. Theres only one way to check, call them.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 15 of 22
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Kinda lame, but at the same time, I don't use it because I'd rather get $10 off/line using autopay with my debit card on Verizon.

If you have Paypal key you can get that plus any credit card rewards/coverage

Yes, but getting PayPal key is like impossible right now.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 16 of 22
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

Amex Delta Reserve and Plat I believe

Message 17 of 22
summerterrace
Regular Contributor

Confirmed it's ending on the Flagship card as well.  ☹️

US Bank Altitude Reserve, Delta Gold Am Ex, PenFed Power Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Navy Federal Flagship, Chase Freedom, IHG Rewards Club Premier, Marriott Bonvoy Premier
Message 18 of 22
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

**bleep**, I guess I'm self insuring my phones again. Looks like I'll be moving my PayPal Key to a different card.  No reason to get 1 UR/dollar when I can have 2 MR/$.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 19 of 22
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Chase Freedom Flex

"Cell Phone Protection

Get up to $800 per claim and $1,000 per year in cell phone protection against covered theft or damage for phones listed on your monthly cell phone bill when you pay it with your eligible credit card. Maximum of 2 claims in a 12 month period with a $50 deductible per claim."

ETA: YMMV >> https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/credit-cards/credit-cards-with-cell-phone-insurance

Isn't that gone as well? Chase's website still says the Flex has cell phone coverage, but as I understand it, the insurance is provided through MasterCard (Elite/World Elite), and there are some reports of people calling into MC, giving their card number, and being told no, they no longer provide that. It could be that Chase hasn't gotten the message yet, or that they plan to provide coverage on their own, but it seems really unclear at the moment. I don't know how that applies to the CashRewards, which can be either MC or VISA.

Edit: Looks like there's a separate thread on the Flex and cell phone coverage:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-Freedom-Flex-losing-cell-phone-insurance/td-p/64...

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.