Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Cash rewards Card

tag
99lawdog99
New Visitor

NFCU Cash rewards Card

Been reading this forum for awhile and it's one of the reasons I discovered that I was eligible to join NFCU through my father.  Joined a few weeks ago and after waiting awhile to get my acceptance package, just threw 50.00 into a checking and savings accounts to get started.  My question is, I checked my offers on the web site and it says I was pre selected for a cash rewards card. I heard about very high limits but not sure if I should apply.  My scores across the board are 719 TU 720 EQ and 722 Ex.  My only concern is I have High utilization , around 60% because I used to have very high limits on a bunch of cards and when the financial crisis hit, all my cards cut my limits to what I owed at the time.  So I went from like 25/30% to almost 95% overnight.  Been getting it lowered over time.   Not really needing a another card but the stories of the cl they give has me curious.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Cash rewards Card

Your util is high. I don't know if NFCU will care but I don't think I would app until it came down some but that is just my .02.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@99lawdog99 wrote:

Been reading this forum for awhile and it's one of the reasons I discovered that I was eligible to join NFCU through my father.  Joined a few weeks ago and after waiting awhile to get my acceptance package, just threw 50.00 into a checking and savings accounts to get started.  My question is, I checked my offers on the web site and it says I was pre selected for a cash rewards card. I heard about very high limits but not sure if I should apply.  My scores across the board are 719 TU 720 EQ and 722 Ex.  My only concern is I have High utilization , around 60% because I used to have very high limits on a bunch of cards and when the financial crisis hit, all my cards cut my limits to what I owed at the time.  So I went from like 25/30% to almost 95% overnight.  Been getting it lowered over time.   Not really needing a another card but the stories of the cl they give has me curious.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you

You have good scores and with a great company. However with the 95% Utilization I would hold off until you bring it down some. Then I would say you would be approved hands down with no problem.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It would be best to wait that way your CL will be reflective of your CS.

Good luck!
Message 4 of 12
99lawdog99
New Visitor

No my utilization is 60%. It was around 95% years ago when the credit crisis hit because they lowered all my limits to what I owed. I had accounts that I never used with 20,000.00 limits that were just shut down for no reason.  If I had a limit of 5000.00 but owed 500.00, the CL was lowered to 500.00 which caused my UTL to jump.  Thanks for the replies, I appreciate each one as to your thoughts.

Message 5 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@99lawdog99 wrote:

No my utilization is 60%. It was around 95% years ago when the credit crisis hit because they lowered all my limits to what I owed. I had accounts that I never used with 20,000.00 limits that were just shut down for no reason.  If I had a limit of 5000.00 but owed 500.00, the CL was lowered to 500.00 which caused my UTL to jump.  Thanks for the replies, I appreciate each one as to your thoughts.

Still to high IMO get it down a litle more for best results

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 12
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

I would shoot for 30% UTIL

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 7 of 12
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forums 99lawdog99!
What's your income like? I am pretty confident that you would be approved with 60% utility but not with the best possible results. Your scores are good enough with NFCU approval on the cash card. That pre-approval is almost good as gold with NFCU. Just a matter now of the CL and APR.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 8 of 12
pineappledaydreams
Frequent Contributor

They denied my wife for high utility.

Keep it low
On my phone apologies for the errors.

Starting Score: 501 EX FAKO
Current Score: 745TU Fico
Current Score:714EQ Fico
Current Score: 742 fico

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 12
99lawdog99
New Visitor

Thanks.  It's around $150,000.  I'll probably not go for it now. I'll wait.  The last card I got was from Cabellas a few months ago and they gave me 5000.00  at 9.9 simply because I wanted to by a Kayak.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.