Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Cashrewards now 3%

tag
Mellon
Established Contributor

NFCU Cashrewards now 3%

As a selected member, Navy Federal would like to offer you the opportunity to earn additional cash back as part of its 2014 Reward Bonus Program. You will still earn cash back on every purchase you make with your Navy Federal card, but as part of this program, you can earn 3% cash back on gasoline, groceries or at restaurants. Participation is a free and easy way to accelerate your cash back rewards.   

GASOLINE – 3% cash back when you use your card at gas stations 
GROCERIES –3% cash back when you use your card at the grocery store 
RESTAURANTS – 3% cash back when you use your card at restaurants and fast food eateries

You have to choose from the 3 categories above.... this will be in effect for the remainder of 2014. My guess is there are going to attempt to make their cards more competitive.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

Re: NFCU Cashrewards now 3%

So, this is a limited-time promotional offer? And also assuming this is targeted (I haven't received any such offer)?

Message 2 of 11
baller4life
Super Contributor

Geez me neither!! Wow nice!!!
Message 3 of 11
USF813
Frequent Contributor

I got a postcard in the mail today about a promotion for the GOrewards card too. It said to check my email for the opt in, and the ability to earn up to 3x the rewards. I guess they are doing a promotion on their cards and you got one of the first emails!!

Message 4 of 11
irvinfitness

It does say "As a selected member".... so I do believe it is targeted. 

I also received it, but the categories are already sitting at 3% or higher with my other cards, so it isn't of too much use. I only have BCE for gas though so when the rotating categories don't cover gas at 5%, this will fill that slot for the extra 1%. 

Message 5 of 11
irvinfitness

So far it appears those that have received the offer have a CL of at least $5k. Chime in if you have a CL less than that and received the offer. 

Edit: This may be incorrect. 

Message 6 of 11
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Freedom, Discover IT, Dividend, Amex all charge around 3% foreign transaction fee when used outside the United States. BCE/BCP even explicitly only allows US grocery / US gas.

GO Rewards wins here.  Probably the only people frequently buying grocery and gas overseas are military and their families, but this is for whom NFCU is supposed to be intended.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 7 of 11
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Cash rewards card holder since Dec 2013, no offer in snail mail or electronic form. Hope they open it up to all.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 8 of 11
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

Got this offer yesterday via email. I have a cashRewards Visa Signature with $25,000 CL. Barely use the card, and have been planning to PC it to the Platinum strictly for balance transfers. Glad I waited. I picked 3% on gas, as I have a 1500 mile road trip coming up in May and already get 2% on my CSP for dining. If this is the start of a new trend, they may start getting a lot more of my business (and I could/would think about not picking up or delaying a Freedom app).

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 9 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@_jb_ wrote:

Got this offer yesterday via email. I have a cashRewards Visa Signature with $25,000 CL. Barely use the card, and have been planning to PC it to the Platinum strictly for balance transfers. Glad I waited. I picked 3% on gas, as I have a 1500 mile road trip coming up in May and already get 2% on my CSP for dining. If this is the start of a new trend, they may start getting a lot more of my business (and I could/would think about not picking up or delaying a Freedom app).

just a side note that PC from Cashrewards to Platinum doesn't mean your interest rate will automatically go down, now if you have the lowest 9.65%  on cash then you could probably get them to take you down to 7.99 for platinum but is it really worth it for that tiny of amount when most likely you will use it during a promo for the bt and or if your not using it for bt might be able to get this bonus.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.