cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Credit Card - which one for a good SL/growth?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

NFCU Credit Card - which one for a good SL/growth?

I just became a NFCU member and am looking to apply for one of their cards. I've reviewed each of their cards benefits. Are there any that are more likely to provide me with a higher SL and have a better oppertuneity to grow? 

When it comes to CLIs, do they receive auto increases? I read that customer requested increases are a HP.  I try to stay away from that. 

And one other question, if I apply for a card, is that HP only good for that product or can I use it for other products for "x" amount of time?

Thanks! 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Credit Card - which one for a good SL/growth?

On paper, the Platinum being meant to be a low interest BT card should have the highest SLs but we regularly see them with all of NFCU’s cards, especially the Flagship. 

With NFCU, your second card is most often higher than your first and you can go for a second card at 91 days and 3 statements after your first. 

CLIs are hit and miss. Some of us have had wild success with CLIs at 91/3, others have been denied CLIs and given 10-15K instant approvals for second cards. 

With NFCU, always expect a HP for anything you do and be happy if you get a SP. Many have had luck when NFCU does their ARs (when they update EQ FICOs) with getting SP CLI but many more, including myself, had to take a HP for it. 

Auto CLIs are pretty rare but they have been heard of. 

Message 2 of 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Growth is the same on any of their cards IME( I'm aware the Flagship can have a higher max limit than the others). Each card's growth is dependednt on what they consider your max exposure. Say if card A grows to $25k and Navy feels $60K is max exposure. You could end up with that spread unevenly across two or three CC's with them.

You could always reallocate or PC, from post I've seen here lately. 

As Saeren says, the 2nd CC could start out with a higher limit than the first. That's been my experience. My third CC also started higher than the first.

Message 3 of 8
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I'm at a toss up between their AMEX and Platnum.  I'm going to be using it for a BT. The Platnum has 0% APR for 12 months. The AMEX is at 1.99%. Difference between the two is that APR also applies to balances made during the first 12 months. I generally don't carry large balances. I've had some large purchases recently. It will take about a year to take care of them so a 0% offer will help with that.  

From what I'm reading in another thread, a lot of these cards start with a healthy limit - (https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Navy-NFCU-Credit-Card-Highest-Starting-Line/td-p/50314...)

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 4 of 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

If a BT is your priority, I'd just get the Platinum. You can PC it at a later date. I'm thinking of PCing one of mine to a Platinum in the future.

I hear ya on the balances. I normally don't either. Carrying a couple of whopper balances myself lately. lol

It's nice to have options and use these cards to your advantage, when you need to.

Message 5 of 8
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Okay, just applied for the Platinum.  They didn't start me high. Limit is $7300.00 I was hoping for a $15K plus card. Oh well. I've been wanting to get in with NFCU for years but thought I'd have to jump through hoops to meet the requirements. I told them about my grandfather and Dad being in the military. That was good enough. No HP for the membership. They pulled TU for the card. I'll probably wait 91 days then app for another one.

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 6 of 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

Okay, just applied for the Platinum.  They didn't start me high. Limit is $7300.00 I was hoping for a $15K plus card. Oh well. I've been wanting to get in with NFCU for years but thought I'd have to jump through hoops to meet the requirements. I told them about my grandfather and Dad being in the military. That was good enough. No HP for the membership. They pulled TU for the card. I'll probably wait 91 days then app for another one.

Sounds like a plan!! The next one will be a monster! Congrats on your approval! 

Message 7 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the approval @masscredit. Great outcome indeed!

Locking this thread as you have been approved. Feel free to start a new approval thread in the Approvals forum if you wish.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.