Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU - Customer Service

tag
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

NFCU - Customer Service

I know this post will rub some people the wrong way because they are absolutely infatuated with NFCU, but I truly feel that NFCU's easy approval guidelines and high limits clouds a lot of people's judgments.

Not to far into my post bankruptcy, they were obviously the only one's who would give me a high limit.. a very high limit at that. I was absolutely in love with them. I thought, there could be no other bank or credit union that is as good as them. They could do absolutely no wrong in my eyes. After a few years had past, and I obviously started getting credit cards with limits equal to or greater than NFCU.. I started to realize, their customer service really is awful..

Numerous times in the past few months I've contacted them with an issue, and the reps (MOST of which were polite), basically told me to pound sand. The first issue was the line of credit APR for sequestered federal employees. One rep told me one thing, the next rep told me something completely different, and then the final rep told me no. I then get a letter in the mail the next few days contradicting all three. Then I contacted them about my APR on my credit cards. I've had two out of the three for quite some time already, so I figured why not ask? The rep told me I didn't qualify. I asked her why, she couldn't tell me. She told me I couldn't ask again for another year. I told her that would've been nice to know before you submitted the request. I called once again concerning my credit card limits. I wanted to combine them all as I've read many people here have. The rep I talked to didn't know what I was talking about and that it was impossible to do that.

These are a few of the phone calls I've had with them recently. I'm not saying their reps were rude, although a few were.. but for the majority they are nice and polite. I do feel as if they have no discretion whatsoever though. I also feel like they aren't trained enough because every time I call, no matter what it's about, I get a different answer.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
mt2va
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU - Customer Service

I have experienced their poor service on numerous occasions.  I'll call about an issue and be told they need to talk to a manager or someone else and they will return my call and literally weeks later after I've called 2 or 3 more times (being told the first rep is still working on it) finally getting the first rep back only to be told she closed my issue because SHE thought it was resolved.  Um no because you never called me back to tell me what you found out.  And actually never resolved the issue. 

I've been told numerous times they can't make outbound calls because they are a call center.  That's all well and good but why do you tell people you are going to call them back?? Numerous times when I've called I've even said if they could just drop me a message on the secure messaging or a letter or anything they could do between calls would be great. 

I've also had 2 different occasions where they took money out of my primary checking account (with another bank) to pay a bill with them that one time I never initiated the transaction and the other time they took more than they were supposed to, but both times they tried to blame the other bank.  (the one time I was with BB&T and the other time SunTrust) 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 2 of 14
Boonie
Frequent Contributor

I love NFCU for giving me great credit lines, but do not hold them up as the best at everything.  Nobody should for any bank/CU.   I have called NFCU before and got a new rep who didn't know a lot and was challenged at giving answers.  Send your request in an online message thru the website.  Hopefully, they are more careful in responding in writing to you on your questions.  Your situation may be unique and a lot of the NFCU folks may not know how to handle it.

04/10/17 - FICO 8s - EX 769, EQ 710, TU 724
Message 3 of 14
CS800
Super Contributor

I can only think of the saying we use here a lot .... YMMV

NFCU was the first CU to give me a great CL. Not all their reps are knowledgable and that applies to practically all banks. I had two car loans with them and last year called them to get an APR reduction. Was flat out denied, so like the 'frugal' shopper that I am, I went somewhere else and got 1.49% for both cars. I thnk as frustrating as it is to talk to several reps, I take comfort that i have a lot of knowledge and I can make educated decisions for myself.

If at the end of the day, I know what, I'm talking about but i'm still not successful, I just go elsewhere. But I understand your frustration.

I don't hold any bank for that matter to be the best. But I do like the ones who at least are polite in their approach.

Message 4 of 14
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Before I joined, 3 CSR told me that I was not eligible, another 3 said I was eligible. The 7th called her manager and she was told that I was eligible indeed. So I joined on the 7th phone call I made.
Message 5 of 14
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

NFCU has been great to me as well for extending me awesome CL's when no one else would.  So when I joined and applied for credit, that is all I was looking for.  I didn't expect awesome customer service and that's because I had that one goal in mind.  I have achieved that goal and exceeded it with them so for that reason only, I rate them tops in my book Woman LOL.

As for their CS, well all I can say is that they have been very nice but not consistent on thier policies and procedures.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 6 of 14
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

In my experience, the service may not be bad -- but it's not great.

I think if they didn't give outsized limits and more forgiving approvals, no one would be excited by them.
Message 7 of 14
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I have developed a habit to call several times for a same question should I need to contact them.
Message 8 of 14
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I think it is quite normal for any banks/credit unions. I have had different CSR told me one thing, yet another told me something totally opposit! It had happened in the past to me with USAA, DCU, PenFed, etc.
Message 9 of 14
CS800
Super Contributor

I think NFCU just HP'ed me just for posting on this thread ...ouch wait this is my second post, darn it another HP on TU .............. Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.