Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Eligibility Verification?

tag
js0319
Established Contributor

NFCU Eligibility Verification?

My DW and I would like to get in with NFCU so we can take advantage of their CC's, and other loan products. She eligible through her brother since he's active duty. What information does NFCU request from her brother to verify her eligibility?

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU Eligibility Verification?

Eligibility Checklist

Navy Federal's field of membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration. If you fall under any of these categories, you're eligible to join:

All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees and annuitants

All Department of Defense Reservists—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees and annuitants

All Army and Air National Guard Personnel—civilian employees, retirees and annuitants

All Delayed Entry Program (DEP) Personnel

All DoD Officer Candidate programs—Midshipmen and cadets at the United  States Naval Academy, United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy and the United States Merchant Marine Academy; Other Officer Programs*

U.S. government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)

All DoD civilian employees—including retirees and annuitants

DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations

Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

Message 2 of 36
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Is her brother currently a member?
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 3 of 36
js0319
Established Contributor

We don't think he is a member, but NFCU also said that he doesn't need to be a member. That's why we want to know how they verify eligibility through him. 

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 4 of 36
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I recommend you call back and ask again. He needs to be a member for your wife to join. You need his access number once he joins.
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 5 of 36
Datx
Valued Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
I recommend you call back and ask again. He needs to be a member for your wife to join. You need his access number once he joins.

I don't believe its absolutely needed for the OP's brother to join before the OP can. But I would absolutely recommend it simply because the NFCU security dept is not very pleasant to deal with. It would be alot easier to verify membership eligibility if the OP's brother joins first.

Message 6 of 36
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

That's how I joined and was shut down until I could provide my brothers access number. The security dept explained to me that one cannot join through an eligible member that one needs to be a member first before you can join. The only exemption is a family member that is or was military retired

Message 7 of 36
RyVision
Valued Contributor

My mother  nor I needed anyone's access number to join.   They told me I could have joined simply because of my fathers military status (retired\dead).  Mom was surprised to be told they were members before, same case with PenFed.

They DO however ask some very difficult verification questions! LOL

[EDIT]:  Sorry Root, didn't read  your post closely (confirming what you were saying really).  BTW, seems the tone of repsect goes up a few notches when they hear the late retired member was a commissioned officer, Major or higher.  Could have been they were just being repsectful, but was nice.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 8 of 36
Cracka
Valued Member

Their eligibility requirements are not clear.  I opened up a checking and savings account with a representative who asked all the eligiblity questions.  Once she confirmed that my brother is in the military, she said congratulations you are eligible.  Well after those two accounts and 3 pending consumer credit applications:  an approved $25k Platinum CC, an approved $15k Navcheck (LOC) and a pending $6k personal loan, they put a freeze on my account.  After numerous requests for eligiblity verification (birth certificates, W2, paystus, utility bill), someone from from security finally called me and said that my brother NEEDS to be a member in order for me to have any products with them.  Otherwise, they will shut everything down. 

I told her that the membership department eligiblity is FLAWED since they approved me in the beginning.  She responded by agreeing and saying that they're trying to increase membership.  Well, duh, don't do that then shut down accounts after I deposited my money and applied for all of those products!

So, everyone, be aware that you need to have a family member with NFCU before you can have an account!  Beware...

I'm asking my brother to open a measley $5 checking or savings account to continue my credit repair journey!  Hopefully he doesn't mind and helps me out...stay tuned!

Starting Score: 639
Current Score: 648 EQ, 664 TU
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 36
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Yes--NCFU eligibility requirement are flawed IMO for the simple reason former honorably discharged (non-pension) service members such as MYSELF are NOT eligible for membership.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.