cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Flagship: For those of you who don't travel....

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Flagship: For those of you who don't travel....

@WhiteCollar wrote:

I plan to app for this card when a good SUB is offered, hopefully March 2021. I read somewhere that you must book travel through a NFCU portal. Is that true? 

Not me.  I don't use portals.  I cash out my points into my NFCU savings account.  I buy my flights and hotels with real money, not with points.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 31 of 41
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

"(PenFed Power Cash is 11.74% and no FTF ... but they also have 3% BT and 5% Cash Advance fees.)"

Snipped from the above post  ^^^^^^^^^^^

I have seen very few PenFed Power Cash Rewards Approvals where someone actually gets the 11.74% APR ..

Usually 16.99-17.99%Smiley Tongue

I have the 11.74% APR.

@UpperNwGuy, Very nice!  .. You are a very rare birdSmiley Very Happy

There are other forum members who also have the 11.74% APR.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 32 of 41
rbentley
Established Contributor

I am at 12.99%

Message 33 of 41
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

"(PenFed Power Cash is 11.74% and no FTF ... but they also have 3% BT and 5% Cash Advance fees.)"

Snipped from the above post  ^^^^^^^^^^^

I have seen very few PenFed Power Cash Rewards Approvals where someone actually gets the 11.74% APR ..

Usually 16.99-17.99%Smiley Tongue

I have the 11.74% APR.

@UpperNwGuy, Very nice!  .. You are a very rare birdSmiley Very Happy

There are other forum members who also have the 11.74% APR.

I posted that clip about the PenFed Power Cash Rewards originally on 10/19/2019

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Best-Credit-Card-for-your-Experience-no-travel-annnnnn...

and @Wavester64 requoted me in posting on 08/08/2020.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/NFCU-Flagship-For-those-of-you-who-don-t-travel/m-p/61...

That was based on the lowest (advertised) APR rate at the time on 10/19/2019.   Since then, PenFed's currently lowest (advertised) rate on the Power Cash was raised and is up to 14.99%, but still not bad for a rewards card. 

I believe I got the PCR at the 11.74% but when the prime rate went down, they lowered me to my current rate of 9.99% APR.   So if you have 11.74% or even 12.99%, that's a good rate but PenFed might even lower it if you call and ask.  Smiley Happy  Never hurts to try.

So I guess I'm more than just a very rare bird, @M_Smart007?   Lol Smiley Tongue 

Maybe a "Lucky Duck"?  Smiley LOL

@UpperNwGuy& @rbentley 

PF_PC_APR_202006.jpg 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 34 of 41
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@LakeLife wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@LakeLife wrote:

Speaking of this card, and I right in not seeing a current SUB for it?  The last one I an find in an article expired April 30th, 2020.

That is correct.  There is no current signup bonus.

Defnitely makes even more sense for me to wait at this point as well then.  By the end of the year or early next year, I hope they offer the 50k bonus again. 

@LakeLife, Look for the Flagship SUB early March 2021.

@M_Smart007 I'm guessing by that time they won't have the 50k SUB and the Amazon Prime deal at the same time. More than likely when the SUB comes back, the Amazon Prime deal will be no longer. Checking NFCU, I am not seeing how long the Amazon Prime deal is good for currently unless I missed it.

@Wavester64, Wish I could answer all you questions. For current Members;

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/FREE-Amazon-Prime-for-1-year-NFCU-Flagship/m-p/6123244

You might give a Navy rep a phone call? ...surely can't hurt.  ...Might get some answers???

Sometimes I expect too much of you Smiley Wink

Here's one you can prob answer - for the $500 SUB when you got it, what was the required spend?

@Wavester64  .. $4000.00 .. I met it within a few days of receiving the card FedEx PrioritySmiley Surprised

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/NFCU-Flagship-Visa-4000-00-quot-SP-quot-CLI-A...

@M_Smart007 I know you answered this somewhere, but I can't find it here or in my notes. How much time were you given to make that $4000 spend (I know you did it right away)? For me, I like that FREE Amazon Prime, and I am going to be 91/3 on card #2 in a few days. I was thinking of waiting for March to see if that $500 SUB comes back, but I am in the middle of a $4K spend for Amex Gold. So if FLAGSHIP's spend requirement is like 3-months, I might not make that one. Also, if I wait until March, I might lose out on the Amazon Prime offer. Decisions decision Smiley Very Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 35 of 41
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@LakeLife wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@LakeLife wrote:

Speaking of this card, and I right in not seeing a current SUB for it?  The last one I an find in an article expired April 30th, 2020.

Defnitely makes even more sense for me to wait at this point as well then.  By the end of the year or early next year, I hope they offer the 50k bonus again. 

@M_Smart007 I'm guessing by that time they won't have the 50k SUB and the Amazon Prime deal at the same time. More than likely when the SUB comes back, the Amazon Prime deal will be no longer. Checking NFCU, I am not seeing how long the Amazon Prime deal is good for currently unless I missed it.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/FREE-Amazon-Prime-for-1-year-NFCU-Flagship/m-p/6123244

You might give a Navy rep a phone call? ...surely can't hurt.  ...Might get some answers???

Here's one you can prob answer - for the $500 SUB when you got it, what was the required spend?

@Wavester64  .. $4000.00 .. I met it within a few days of receiving the card FedEx PrioritySmiley Surprised

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/NFCU-Flagship-Visa-4000-00-quot-SP-quot-CLI-A...

@M_Smart007 I know you answered this somewhere, but I can't find it here or in my notes. How much time were you given to make that $4000 spend (I know you did it right away)? For me, I like that FREE Amazon Prime, and I am going to be 91/3 on card #2 in a few days. I was thinking of waiting for March to see if that $500 SUB comes back, but I am in the middle of a $4K spend for Amex Gold. So if FLAGSHIP's spend requirement is like 3-months, I might not make that one. Also, if I wait until March, I might lose out on the Amazon Prime offer. Decisions decision Smiley Very Happy

For those of you reading who are interested in getting the NFCU Flagship for the FREE Amazon Prime offer, here is what they told me:

"The promotion that is currently available which offers reimbursement if Amazon Annual Prime subscription is posted to the Flagship Rewards product, is set to expire on 1 March 2021"

So if they do offer another promotion next month, which is what everyone is thinking, the FREE Prime offer will not be included.

Another thing to note - IF you have the Flagship and have not yet taken advantage of the FREE Prime (if it was offered to you that is) the annual membership must be purchased as a one-time payment before 9/30/21

Potential Future Cards
Message 36 of 41
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@LakeLife wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@LakeLife wrote:

For those of you reading who are interested in getting the NFCU Flagship for the FREE Amazon Prime offer, here is what they told me:

"The promotion that is currently available which offers reimbursement if Amazon Annual Prime subscription is posted to the Flagship Rewards product, is set to expire on 1 March 2021"

So if they do offer another promotion next month, which is what everyone is thinking, the FREE Prime offer will not be included.

Another thing to note - IF you have the Flagship and have not yet taken advantage of the FREE Prime (if it was offered to you that is) the annual membership must be purchased as a one-time payment before 9/30/21

That could be great news for people hoping for the massive sub to comeback. If they do bring back the $500 SUB I may have to give it a go!

Thanks for calling in and updating us here! Cheers!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 37 of 41
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@LakeLife wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@LakeLife wrote:

That could be great news for people hoping for the massive sub to comeback. If they do bring back the $500 SUB I may have to give it a go!

Thanks for calling in and updating us here! Cheers!

There is a potential flaw in that argument as the Amazon Prime promotion was extended to existing cardholders, it was not a signup bonus.    Trying to directly correlate the termination of a promotion that benefits current cardholders with a promotion that specifically and only targets new cardholders is IMO fairly speculative. 

This wasn't the first time that NFCU has extended a promotion to current cardholders, for example a couple of years ago they fully reimbursed Costco yearly memberships ($60 IIRC) that were paid for using their Cash Rewards card. 

Also, to answer the @Wavester64  question above, you had 90 days to meet the Flagship $4K spend requirement to meet the $500 SUB. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 38 of 41
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Message 39 of 41
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Sorry @Wavester64 ,  I somehow missed your "@"

and I have not been reading here much.

You all really needed a break from meSmiley Tongue

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.