Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Flagship Rewards VS Cash Rewards

tag
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Flagship Rewards VS Cash Rewards

For those with lower scores and who have gotten a relatively higher limit Flagship, there is now equivalent.  The DW and I use ours to expense Business spending and pay it off with expense checks.  We both got the $500 SUB, along with one free year of Prime so far and these cards have been absolute cash cows since there are no limits.  We are somewhere near or just past $4.5k in combined  Cashback in my 20 months and her 14.  I almost feel guilty... almost. 

Are there better options out there?  Perhaps, but not for anyone with sub 610 scores and dirty reports.    What a godsend the FS has been for us...

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 11 of 19
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@Tictoctech wrote:

Hey quick question I just did a product change from NFCU Cash Rewards to the Flagship Rewards. Which one is the best choice?? Just trying to get some opinions on both cards thx.

To answer your question, it depends on your spend and if you have Prime.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 12 of 19
sladesurfer
Regular Contributor

@Tictoctech wrote:

What happens if you already gave a Prime Account? Also thx everyone on the feedback greatly appreciated 👍🏽

NFCU Prime.png

On your Next renewal, Pay with your Card and you will get Reimburstment

PenFed Power Cash Rewards
Penfed Gold
NFCU Amex More Rewards
NFCU Cash Rewards
NFCU Flagship
Goldman Sachs Apple Card
Chase IHG Rewards Club Card
Chase Freedom Flex
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Amex Business Prime Card
Amex Marriott Brilliant Card
Amex Hilton Aspire Card
Amex Charles Schwab Platinum
Amex Gold Card
US Bank Cash+ card
Discover It Card
Capital One Quicksilver Card
Citi Double Cash
Citi Premier
Message 13 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

The Flagship SUB (when it is offered) pay's 10 years of Annual fees.

Free Amazon Prime is icing on the cake. my $0.02 cents worth.

Plus add in ALL the other card benefits.

Message 14 of 19
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Except that I think the Amazon Prime (IS) the SUB and if they offer the 50K ($500) SUB again, the Amazon Prime will probably disappear.  I'd much rather wait for the 50K point SUB as it's a much better deal. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 15 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Except that I think the Amazon Prime (IS) the SUB and if they offer the 50K ($500) SUB again, the Amazon Prime will probably disappear.  I'd much rather wait for the 50K point SUB as it's a much better deal. 

@Aim_High  ..Except I got bothSmiley Wink

SUB in March 2019 and they added the FREE Amazon Prime.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/FREE-Amazon-Prime-for-1-year-NFCU-Flagship/m-p/6123244
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/NFCU-Flagship-22-000-00-Approval/m-p/5946000#...

Message 16 of 19
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Without the high signup bonus on the Flagship, the Cash Rewards is the better card.  It's a mistake to product change to the Flagship.  You need that signup bonus to pay for the annual fee.

Not necessarily.  That depends on many factors.  There are many variables.

• Can OP use the $100 TSA Global Entry credit?  If so, that's worth $25 average per year and drops effective AF to $24.
  • How much spend will OP put on this credit card?   If we're just comparing those two NFCU cards and OP puts $9800 annual spending on either the Cash Rewards (at 1.5%) or Flagship (at 2.0%, not even allowing for higher-earning 3% category purchases), he just made up the entire $49.  Anything above that, he's earning more with FS and that's without the Global Entry credit. 
  • Does OP have other 2% or 3% cards?  If not, comparing the 2%/3% earnings on Flagship to a flat-rate 1.5% card like Cash Rewards, QuickSilver, Cash Wise, Cash Magnet adds up much more quickly. 
  • If OP has no other travel cards or 3% cards, how much does he typically spend on travel (non-pandemic)?  If your best flat no-AF earning rate is 2% but you get 3% on travel with FS, you would get the full $49 AF back at $4,900 annual travel spending and start earning more for anything above that.  And once again, that's not accounting for the Global Entry or the higher earning rate on uncategorized 2% purchases.
  • If OP applies for the Flagship instead of doing a Product Change, the recent 50K SUB at $500 pays for over 10 years of annual fees, as pointed out by @M_Smart007.  So that's probably a much "smarter" move, pun intended!  Lol  Smiley LOL

Business Cards

Message 17 of 19
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Aim_High  ..Except I got bothSmiley Wink

SUB in March 2019 and they added the FREE Amazon Prime.

That's just because you're

special and you ROCK!!  Smiley Wink

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.-dHQ8oAppOE7GS96P9c0FwHaIB%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Business Cards

Message 18 of 19
PlenopticAeon
Established Member

Thanks for understanding if this has already been posted (I didn't see anything new for 2021 via search ) but was recently looking at the cards and now see the FS card had a 40k SUB and includes the Amazon for the first year. I was going to hold off getting another card until Nov but this offer ends Aug 31st so I might apply 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.