Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Flagship vs. CashRewards

tag
Fire6546
New Contributor

NFCU Flagship vs. CashRewards

My 91/3 is next week on my GoRewards, so figure it’ll be time for next app and cli attempt...and was wondering if the Flagship is really worth it over the CashRewards card if I don’t travel but once/twice year for vacation?

Wife and I have MoreRewards already as well...
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU Flagship vs. CashRewards

If you wont offset the AF, go with the CR. Flat 1.5% card but worth more if you use Member mallSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 9
Fire6546
New Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
If you wont offset the AF, go with the CR. Flat 1.5% card but worth more if you use Member mallSmiley Happy

Wife and I will be flying to Sarasota from Ohio in July instead of driving down this year, plus renting a car...Condo is already booked. Figure I might start doing that from now on when we go to Anna Maria Island, so I might be able to cover the AF with that......is fuel/gas stations included in the travel category?

Message 3 of 9
CramEiko
Established Contributor

@Fire6546 wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Wife and I will be flying to Sarasota from Ohio in July instead of driving down this year, plus renting a car...Condo is already booked. Figure I might start doing that from now on when we go to Anna Maria Island, so I might be able to cover the AF with that......is fuel/gas stations included in the travel category?

AMI is worth the flight to relax. I miss my favorite lil not as glamorous beach, Coquina Beach, fishing off AM Pier and oh AMOB. July is a perfect time to go. Everyone else has gone home by Mayish... and the water has warmed up a bunch.

Good Luck!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 4 of 9
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

@Fire6546 wrote:
My 91/3 is next week on my GoRewards, so figure it’ll be time for next app and cli attempt...and was wondering if the Flagship is really worth it over the CashRewards card if I don’t travel but once/twice year for vacation?

Wife and I have MoreRewards already as well...

There is no SUB being offered on Flagship right now. The current offer is a 1.99% balance transfer. Unless you need the card right now, i’d wait for a SUB.

Message 5 of 9
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

cashRewards is the better card, even at 1.5%.  Earnings post immediately, and you can redeem any amount any time.  Flagship Rewards has an annual fee and a more complicated redemption process.  Go Rewards and More Rewards have a $50 minimum redemption.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

cashRewards is the better card, even at 1.5%.  Earnings post immediately, and you can redeem any amount any time.  Flagship Rewards has an annual fee and a more complicated redemption process.  Go Rewards and More Rewards have a $50 minimum redemption.

This is my only complaint about NFCU is the $50 minimum redemption on their other cards. If the MoreRewards posted as earned like my cashRewards, it would be a no-brainer 3rd card since I don’t have a grocery card or Amex network card but as it stands right now, I am thinking it’s not worth it.

Message 7 of 9
rbentley
Established Contributor

I have GoReward and MoreRewards and think I made a mistake with both of them.  I love my limits but the points system and redemption procedure are not appealing.  I want the CashRewards and am thinking of PCing one of my other cards.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rbentley wrote:

I have GoReward and MoreRewards and think I made a mistake with both of them.  I love my limits but the points system and redemption procedure are not appealing.  I want the CashRewards and am thinking of PCing one of my other cards.

Yeah and if you PC, you can lose your interest rate. I called and asked about PC my CR to MR since I have the PayPal card now and they said my interest would go up from 11.65% to 16.99%. I said forget it. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.