Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Go Rewards or DISCOVER IT MILES

tag
CA4Closure
Regular Contributor

NFCU Go Rewards or DISCOVER IT MILES

If you were to choose between these two cards, which one would you choose and why? Many of the businesses I use no longer accept Amercian Express so right now the advantage goes to Discover Miles. 

I do not want to pay an Annual Fee (AF). This is why I do not have an airlines card right now. I wanted Hawaiian Airlines (Barclays Bank) but I will not pay $69 a year for the priviledge of having their card.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU Go Rewards or DISCOVER IT MILES

I could'nt choose, so i have both  ..

Message 2 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Just having Navy is a nobrainer for their high limit achievabilitySmiley Wink. With Disco, no minim redemptions so thst too is awesome. Plus with Disco, double cash back 1st year makes Miles a 3% cardSmiley Happy. Take borhSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 5
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@CA4Closure wrote:

If you were to choose between these two cards (NFCU Go Rewards or DISCOVER IT MILES), which one would you choose and why? Many of the businesses I use no longer accept Amercian Express so right now the advantage goes to Discover Miles.

You mentioned NFCU Go Rewards but it is issued as a Visa/Mastercard.

The AMEX from NFCU is the MORE Rewards card. 

Similar name but different.

Go Rewards V/MC:

Get 3X points on restaurants, 2X points on gas and 1X point on everything else.

Go Rewards has no SUB currently.

More Rewards AMEX:

3X points at supermarkets, 3X points on gas and transit, 3X points at restaurants and 1X points on everything else.

MORE Rewards has 30K point SUB - $300 value.

It depends on your spending patterns.

And it depends on if you're getting it for the SUB or for the long-term.

Discover MILES pays a flat 1.5 cents (Miles) per dollar spend and has the best cash sign-up bonus on the market right now, depending on your spend. (Basically unlimited 3% cashback for first year, no caps.)   It's also better than those two NFCU cards for non-category spend.

Long-term, the NFCU Cash Rewards card is most similar to Discover MILES but you didn't mention it.  It pays 1.5 cents per dollar spend and has a $250 SUB for $2500 spend in first 90 days.  That means the NFCU Cash Rewards card $250 SUB beats the Discover IT MILES bonus if you will spend less than $16,700 in year one.  If you'll spend more than that, you're better off with Discover IT Miles in terms of SUB.

Long-term, if the spending categories will get the majority of your spend, you're better off with one of those.  Otherwise, the flat 1.5% cards are better. But as was said, nothing wrong with getting both.  Smiley Happy

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 5
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@CA4Closure wrote:

I do not want to pay an Annual Fee (AF). This is why I do not have an airlines card right now. I wanted Hawaiian Airlines (Barclays Bank) but I will not pay $69 a year for the priviledge of having their card.

Annual fees stink. By the way, it looks like it's currently $99, not $69.  But sometimes, they make sense. You aren't just paying for the priviledge of carrying the card.  You get direct value back.  How much value varies.  It's like joining a gym.  You can join and never go and it's money wasted.  You can join and go daily and feel like you're getting a great benefit.   Just like gym memberships, travel cards make sense for the right person and if they use them often enough.

How much do you fly Hawaiian?  You need to do the math to give it a fair evaluation.  And then you have to be willing to use the card to get the value out of it.  In many cases, you can actually end up AHEAD with an AF card as long as you understand how they work and if they are a good fit for your lifestyle and spending. 

First, there is a Sign Up Bonus (SUB) worth $540* right now for that card!  That pays your annual fee for 5 and a half years.  (60K miles for spending $2K in 90 days.)   *The Points Guy website estimates Hawaiian Miles are worth 0.9 cents per mile. 

For example, that Hawaiian card waives checked baggage charges equivalent to $25 to $30 per flight.  A few checked bags a year makes up the difference. 

Also, if you are a member of the Hawaiian Miles program, you get 3x the miles for all your trips you charge on the card versus 1x mile without.

And you get discounts on Companion Travel:

• Receive a one-time 50% off companion discount

for roundtrip travel between Hawaii and North America on Hawaiian Airlines.

• $100 companion discount annually

for roundtrip travel between Hawaii and North America on Hawaiian Airlines after each account anniversary.

*So one annual companion trip could pay for the annual fee and then you're getting extra value back on the other benefits above.

Travel cards aren't for everybody and sometimes Cash is King.  Smiley Happy  But make sure you're not just turned off by the AF before seeing what you could be getting for it. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.