Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU HERE I COME!!!! LOOKIN' FOR THE 411

tag
rom828
Established Contributor

NFCU HERE I COME!!!! LOOKIN' FOR THE 411

So excited!  My son-in-love and daughter just joined NFCU.   He's in the Army and has had USAA for yrs,  but since being transferred to a new post wanted a local bank as well and NFCU is close by.

They went in person to join and the agent they spoke with advised my daughter if she became a member in her own name also, then her immediate family (ie: mother, father) could join as well.  She jumped at that as she knew how much I've wanted to join a credit union and specifically this one.

There's a NFCU branch  not too far from my office, so I plan to go there to go see them in the next day or two  to open my account. Smiley Happy Just wondering what their most recent requirements  are for their  CC products, auto loans, etc??  I know they pull EQ, and from the posts I've read, they pull a new report (w/new INQ) for each products so don't want to waste INQs if not where I need to be.

Hoping to get some insight as to what scores they've most recently been requiring for the products I'm interested in....though at first I just plan to open savings account.

Please chime in if you've got some info to share!!   THANKS!

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU HERE I COME!!!! LOOKIN' FOR THE 411

In answer to your questions...  Yes, you are eligible for all of their products once your daughter joins.  

And for the second question, yes they pull a separate report for every product, however, after they are all done and approved/denied, you can call and request them code them all except one as a soft inquiry.  I did that a couple of times - applied for 4 products at once and after they were approved, I called and asked to have them all except one coded as soft and they did do this for me.  Im not sure if its a common practice, but they will oblige.

They are awesome!  Good Luck! 

Message 2 of 23
rom828
Established Contributor

Good toknow about the INQS!

Your scores are far better than mine, but I'm working on utilization (20%) so hopefully will see some increase soon. 

Took a hit scorewise for March re-fi for  INQS  as well as having   TWO new accts reporting.  Mortgage was sold almost as soon as we closed and the sold one reported as well.  My original mtg from 2007  was sold shortly after closing also but only the "newer' one reported, so I was really suprised when  both the re-fis showed up.  Anyway, hurt by AAoA a bit and the INQ for the mtg buyer was counted as a separate INQ.

Not sure what kind of scores they look for as far as CC or auto loans, but figure mine are too low at this point. 

Any thoughts/advices on scores and other report info (inqs, utilization, baddies)  that affect their approval for loan or cc products is appreciated!

Message Edited by rom828 on 06-01-2009 02:03 PM
Message Edited by rom828 on 06-01-2009 02:03 PM
Message 3 of 23
smallfry
Senior Contributor

690 is good enough for a card. Good luck.
Message 4 of 23
rom828
Established Contributor

@smallfry wrote:
690 is good enough for a card. Good luck.

You're kidding???    I thought I saw a post that a 740 or above as needed even for their secured card???!!  

Since they'll run a report when I apply for membership, will  they give a 'pre-approval" for cards or loans so I'll  know if I  should officially apply??   Any other advices on their requirements....as far as baddies or INQS or new accts etc???

Oh, my gosh, I would be so THRILLED to have a card from them!!!   Then maybe I could quit worrying about Amex CLDs etc..  So far no problems, but I don't want to wait till I have one!  I want to get my ducks in a row and I would LOVE to be established with a great CU like Navy!!

Message Edited by rom828 on 06-01-2009 03:37 PM
Message 5 of 23
smallfry
Senior Contributor

All you need to do is fund a share account with 5 bucks then you will most likely need to wait about a week to receive the membership package before you apply for a card. Why not give them a call and see what's up? 1-888-842-6328. Their best offering is currently their cash back card. Good luck. They are open 24 hours.
Message 6 of 23
rom828
Established Contributor

Thanks, smallfry!  

I'll try to give the a call  tomorrow.....or as mentioned go to their office. 

I've got some work to do tonight at the office so wont really have time to get really involved in calls tonight

but I'm so excited and encouraged by your advices!  Thanks so much!!Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 23
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Actually, I dont mean to say youre wrong, however... thats not been my experience.

My mother was rebuilding her credit and at the time she joined, she had a 590 equifax Fico when she applied and was approved for a nRewards MC and a LOC for 3000.  She called in, gave them my member number, opened a savings, checking, cc, and LOC all on the same phone call.  Received everything about a week later.  Now grant it, she makes quite a bit of money as a doctor and the only reason her credit was shot was because she was going through a divorce and my father ruined a couple accounts they held jointly.  

In conclusion, you can apply for everything in one call - just make sure to fund the savings with a $5.00 deposit within 30 days or they will close the account.  

They are awesome for giving people a second chance on credit and from what I have been told by their representatives, Fico Score means nothing to them as they do a manual review or review board for every application, big or small.

I say, Apply!  Good Luck! 

Message 8 of 23
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Ly Tx was hit with multiple inquiries lately by NFCU. When I applied online a couple of years ago I had to wait for the info packet before apping for a card. Brick and mortar it might be different. With a 690 and no recent baddies it's a lock.
Message 9 of 23
Lyythine
Established Contributor

oh yes, definitely... its a hard inquiry for every product you apply for... which sucks, however, they are very forgiving when it comes to second chances, etc:  That was all I was trying to point out.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.