Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU More Rewards Question

tag
CommanderCody
New Contributor

NFCU More Rewards Question

Any NFCU More Rewards AMEX cardholders that can answer this for me.

I've seen conflicting information on redeeming the more rewards points for cash. At what rate is it? I've seen 1 cent per point and 0.5 cpp. Also, I've seen that you have to have $50 to redeem. Is this a minimum or increments? If you have $75 say, can you redeem the $75 or only $50 and wait for $25 more to be earned.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NFCU More Rewards Question

If you are redeeming for cash, it should come out to 1 cpp. Redemptions start at $50 minimum and in $50 increments for the More Rewards. So, if you currently have $75, you can only redeem $50 or wait until you reach the next redemption threshold ($100).
Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wow, that stinks, pardon my frenchSmiley Wink. I dont like $25 minimum redemptions on my DC but at least once there you can empty out everything. Learn something new everydaySmiley Happy
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I knew about $50 min but I wasn’t aware it was $50 increments too. 

Maybe I will take GCs instead. Supposedly those start at $25. 

Message 4 of 9
rbentley
Established Contributor

This is why I just PCed my AmEx to CashRewards.  The $50 minimum/$50 incriments did not make it very attractive or useful.  I didn't know that when I apped for it.  NFCU'S cash redemtion rules on GoRewards and AmEx severely undercut the usefullnes of the cards.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I will probably replace it with a grocery spend card elsewhere at some point but for now it gives me 3% back on groceries without having to open a new tradeline and it gives NFCU some swipes from me. It works out to a yearly redemption more or less since I don’t have much grocery spend but points don’t expire for 36 months so that’s not really a big deal I guess. 

And besides, I have the PayPal card so I wouldn’t use the cashRewards anyway which is why I gave up the $7500 limit, splitting it $5500 to my Platinum and $2000 to the PC’d More Rewards. 

Its unfortunate that NFCU charges an AF for the Flagship because it means that they won’t get much spend from me except for emergency expenses on my Platinum ($12,700 at 8.24% is great for emergencies) or BT offers on it. I do use Member Deals for Microsoft Store (Xbox games) and I will take advantage of any Amex network offers that benefit me but my other category cards and my PayPal Cashback will be getting most of my spend. 

Message 6 of 9
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I am a long time NFCU member (45 years).  When NFCU and Amex first announced that they would be issuing a new NFCU card that would run on the Amex network, I posted a tweet suggesting that NFCU ask their members for input on the new card's rewards program.  They contacted me and asked me for my input, and I told them that my primary concern was that the new card not have a $50 minimum redemption like the NFCU Go Rewards card.  I recommended that the new card be more like the NFCU cashRewards card where any amount can be redeemed at any time.  NFCU thanked me for my input and then promptly ignored the input.  I think part of the problem is that NFCU uses an outside vendor to operate the rewards progams on Go Rewards, More Rewards, and Flagship Rewards, and that vendor has certain canned solutions.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t understand how the largest credit union in the country can’t figure out how to run their own rewards programs for their cards. 

To be fair though, most people seem to like having a 3/2/1 card for the majority of their spending unless they have travel needs and thus go that way so the limited redemption probably doesn’t bother them much. 

I certainly never imagined that credit card companies would issue so many cards to one person. I had my pre-BK spend split between BoA and US Bank (with Amazon, Kohl’s, and Best Buy store cards as well) and my rebuild was Capital One cards from 2014 to 2017 when I branched out from my QS and PlayStation combo to add the Ollo card then March came and I had offers from Amex and Discover and it was all downhill from there lol. 

Message 8 of 9
DCreationrebel
New Contributor

Greetings,
I just joined NFCU 1/21/19 I was approved for the cashRewards Visa I have 6 other cards as well. No bonus chasing etc I'm out of 5/24 until 4/11/20 which other cards you have as well? Thanks
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.