Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Product change HP?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Product change HP?

Hi All!
What do you guys and gals think of a PC to Platinum from say Gorewards? Is it a hard pull and how does it show up on reports? Thanks.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Product change HP?

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi All!
What do you guys and gals think of a PC to Platinum from say Gorewards? Is it a hard pull and how does it show up on reports? Thanks.

PC's with NFCU aren't hard pulls. I believe they'll let you PC your existing card up to twice a year (I know I have at least). If the platinum isn't serving a purpose and one of their other rewards cards would, then change it. Your card number may change (if you go from Visa to MC, or MC or Amex, or any change like that), but your credit report remains as is. 

The only folks that would know you've changed it up would be NFCU and whomever will listen to you, but they don't share changes like those with CRA's. YMMV, and someone else might chime in with other info. Good luck!

*Your post might be moved to another section (Credit Cards vs Approvals)

Message 2 of 15
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

PC'd my cashRewards to a Flagship last week.  Kept the same card number so nothing different will show up on reports.  No HP.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

PC’d my cashRewards to More Rewards last month and obviously got a new card number but they sent me a letter that my cashRewards would still work for 30 days in addition to the new More Rewards and any charges would be merged and my credit reports were just updated with the new limits since I shifted limits at the same time too. 

Really painless. No HP or anything but I did get an APR hike from 11.9% to 17.24%. 

Message 4 of 15
RickNATL
Established Contributor

No change....No HPs...APR could change, no SUBs....

Message 5 of 15
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

PC’d my cashRewards to More Rewards last month and obviously got a new card number but they sent me a letter that my cashRewards would still work for 30 days in addition to the new More Rewards and any charges would be merged and my credit reports were just updated with the new limits since I shifted limits at the same time too. 

Really painless. No HP or anything but I did get an APR hike from 11.9% to 17.24%

This is the trend.  As interest rates rise across the financial sector, banks and credit unions are looking for excuses to raise the APRs on their current credit cards.  A product change provides such an excuse, and even a consumer-friendly institution like NFCU takes advantage of it.  My advice would be not to request product changes if your current card has one of those great low APRs from a few years ago.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Really painless. No HP or anything but I did get an APR hike from 11.9% to 17.24%

This is the trend.  As interest rates rise across the financial sector, banks and credit unions are looking for excuses to raise the APRs on their current credit cards.  A product change provides such an excuse, and even a consumer-friendly institution like NFCU takes advantage of it.  My advice would be not to request product changes if your current card has one of those great low APRs from a few years ago.

Yeah I shot it down the first time but when I realized I could shuffle limits around, I opted to move $5500 of the limit to my 8.24% Platinum and just make the More Rewards a $2000 grocery card. 

It is definitely disappointing that they hiked it so much for a PC but my EQ9 has also dropped from 680 to 658 because I paid off my only installment and I’ve added new accounts so it’s whatever. My immediate desire for a grocery card outweighed my desire to keep my APR. If I didn’t have my QuickSilver for another 1.5% card if something ever happens with my PayPal Cashback, I wouldn’t have done the PC. 

It is definitely something that you should expect though when you PC and if you don’t ask them about it, there’s a chance they will forget to inform you and you won’t know until you check the account online or on the app so I made sure to make that the last part of my post so it sticks. 

They will have to pry that Platinum from my cold dead fingers though. I will always keep that card around. 

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yikes. Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll sleep on it some more and let ya know Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 15
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah I shot it down the first time but when I realized I could shuffle limits around, I opted to move $5500 of the limit to my 8.24% Platinum and just make the More Rewards a $2000 grocery card. 

It is definitely disappointing that they hiked it so much for a PC but my EQ9 has also dropped from 680 to 658 because I paid off my only installment and I’ve added new accounts so it’s whatever. My immediate desire for a grocery card outweighed my desire to keep my APR. If I didn’t have my QuickSilver for another 1.5% card if something ever happens with my PayPal Cashback, I wouldn’t have done the PC. 

It is definitely something that you should expect though when you PC and if you don’t ask them about it, there’s a chance they will forget to inform you and you won’t know until you check the account online or on the app so I made sure to make that the last part of my post so it sticks. 

They will have to pry that Platinum from my cold dead fingers though. I will always keep that card around. 

+1

When I asked about PCing my Plat to the cashRewards, I was told I’d lose my low interest rate too. No thank you. I just reallocated funds from my cash rewards to the Plat and all is right with the world. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

When I asked about PCing my Plat to the cashRewards, I was told I’d lose my low interest rate too. No thank you. I just reallocated funds from my cash rewards to the Plat and all is right with the world. 

Did they happen to tell you how high it was going to go? I am starting to think that it’s policy to hike the APR for a PC. Guess they would rather us just apply for a new card or reallocate limits with cards we already have. I would have gone for the More Rewards as a new card if I wasn’t positive it would be a denial since I just got the Platinum in December and the cashRewards when I joined in September. Plus I already have 5 HPs from them. 😒

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.