Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Questions

Hello all,

So I was able to get a NFCU account via my roommate WOOP! WOOP! lol. (about a week ago)

So I started out with 1 checking and 1 savings, even though it makes it seem like you only sign up for checking when you sign up online. I also set some of my direct deposit to go into both of those accounts.

Now I have read NFCU is generous and prefers their internal scores over external credit bureaus and they like to see you doing business with them for a period of time before the lend money.

So my question is, what was your quickest high limit card with nfcu after your initial approval date?

All 3 scores are low to mid 600s

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
sourpuss29
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU Questions

I became a member of Navy on the 15th of July and was approved right after for the cashRewards. My TU and internal scores at the time were 757 and 292 respectively, and my starting limit is $2,600...which was more than likely related to my AAoA being less than a year.

Message 2 of 11
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous I apped as soon as the membership process was done, all online. I tried the prequal and all cards showed up, so went for the more rewards $3k(12.99apr). You can ask for a limit increase after 3rd statement or 94 days. 

Message 3 of 11
sourpuss29
Frequent Contributor

@Yasselife 

Even though some folks like to wait an extra day or two, the rule for limit increases is actually 91 days/3 FULL statements.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Yasselife wrote:

@Anonymous I apped as soon as the membership process was done, all online. I tried the prequal and all cards showed up, so went for the more rewards $3k(12.99apr). You can ask for a limit increase after 3rd statement or 94 days. 

Thank you. At the moment, I only prequal for the secured card. My scores are mid to low 600s and utilization on 2 of my other cards are really high (thanks covid).

But Ill try to prequal again at 3 months. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sourpuss29 wrote:

I became a member of Navy on the 15th of July and was approved right after for the cashRewards. My TU and internal scores at the time were 757 and 292 respectively, and my starting limit is $2,600...which was more than likely related to my AAoA being less than a year.

My exteranl acores def aren't that high lol. How did you find your internal score?

Message 6 of 11
sourpuss29
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous 

Both scores were on the letter Navy sent me regarding the credit card approval.

Message 7 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi there OP,

I have removed your cross post on this from the approvals forum, please refrain from cross posting in the future it can lead to confusion by the members and its not inline with our TOS. Thanks for your understanding on this. I am also going to move this to the main CC forum for you.

Message 8 of 11
sourpuss29
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

...Thank you. At the moment, I only prequal for the secured card. My scores are mid to low 600s and utilization on 2 of my other cards are really high (thanks covid).

Based on everything I've read about Navy, going the secured route is an absolutely tangible way to get your foot in the door in terms of their credit cards, and doing so would also assist in building your relationship with them. If I recall correctly, said card can become unsecured in as little as seven months; and at that time, it will also be converted to a different product/get a limit increase.

Message 9 of 11
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

So I was able to get a NFCU account via my roommate WOOP! WOOP! lol. (about a week ago)

So I started out with 1 checking and 1 savings, even though it makes it seem like you only sign up for checking when you sign up online. I also set some of my direct deposit to go into both of those accounts.

Now I have read NFCU is generous and prefers their internal scores over external credit bureaus and they like to see you doing business with them for a period of time before the lend money.

So my question is, what was your quickest high limit card with nfcu after your initial approval date?

All 3 scores are low to mid 600s

Dunno what "quickest high limit card with nfcu after your initial approval date" means. I applied for a $25,000 credit limit and that's what I got.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian March 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 850 Equifax March 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.