Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Secure Credit Card

tag
Kesh
Valued Member

NFCU Secure Credit Card

Moments ago I spoke with a rep at NFCU about my secure cc. I asked about transitioning the card to an unsecure card. The rep I spoke with informed me they no longer transfer the cards, and you now have to apply for an unsecure card. My question is, say I apply for a unsecure card would I lose the history associated with the secure card? Also, would I take a hit for closing the card?

Thanks in advance! 

Starting Score: 519 Circa 2010
Current Score: EQ: 659 3.31.14
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: NFCU Secure Credit Card

@Kesh wrote:

Moments ago I spoke with a rep at NFCU about my secure cc. I asked about transitioning the card to an unsecure card. The rep I spoke with informed me they no longer transfer the cards, and you now have to apply for an unsecure card. My question is, say I apply for a unsecure card would I lose the history associated with the secure card? Also, would I take a hit for closing the card?

Thanks in advance! 

The history will stay for 10 years.   You will not take a hit for closing the card.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please ignore the information that representatived provided to you.  Navy Fed automatically converted my card to a unsecured card last month.  My card was opened in 6/10.  Less than a week after they automatically unsecured my card and released the hold on the funds in my savings account.  I called and requested a cli.  My limit was raised from $1,200 to $17,500.

Message 3 of 8
Kesh
Valued Member

Thanks!

I found his response to be a little odd considering that I have seen plenty of stories of individuals having their cards transitioned. My goal is to have mine transitioned and to build my financial relationship with NFCU. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you mind me asking what your score was when you applied for the secured card and what it is now?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I established my secured card in 6/2010, my Equifax was 551.  Now a little over a year later.  My equifax fico is 669 and TU 704.  These would have been the scores at the time my card unsecured and CLI.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  I was planning on applying to NFCU in the next few months.  Congrats on the increase!

Message 7 of 8
Kesh
Valued Member

I believe my score was around 612 when I applied. I've had the card for about 3 months now. So I believe it's doing it's job. I hardly use it, and if I do I only put 9% or less on the card.

This is my attempt to show responsible credit card use Smiley Happy.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.