Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Secured Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Secured Card

I have a NFCU secured card that's now eleven months old. Next month makes a year. Do I make a request for it to graduate or does that happen automatically? If so, how long before it typically graduates? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NFCU Secured Card

Typically, most NFCU secured cards tend to graduate around or after 7 months.  Unfortunately, this is not something that can be requested since it's system-driven.  You mentioned going 11 months into having this card, can you share more details about your profile?  Are there any current or past derogs?  What are your current FICO scores?  How's your overall utilization?  Any recently opened accounts, etc.?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a few charge offs that I'm still paying on. Those were present on my report when I initially got the card last year. No recent accounts or inquiries in the last year, except NFCU and Discover secured. My FICO scores are now 570, 573 and 590. No public records or collections. 

I just paid down both secured cards to zero dollars. Had been carrying a balance on both. I also have a $750 Cap One card, unsecured, that I just paid down to zero. Those are the only open cards I have. 

Should I leave the NFCU card at zero and not use it anymore? 

Message 3 of 8
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a few charge offs that I'm still paying on. Those were present on my report when I initially got the card last year. No recent accounts or inquiries in the last year, except NFCU and Discover secured. My FICO scores are now 570, 573 and 590. No public records or collections. 

I just paid down both secured cards to zero dollars. Had been carrying a balance on both. I also have a $750 Cap One card, unsecured, that I just paid down to zero. Those are the only open cards I have. 

Should I leave the NFCU card at zero and not use it anymore? 

I would use it but make sure it is paid to zero before each monthly statement cuts.  They are relationship driven.  The more you use them (AND PIF) the more likely they'll start to trust you.  

THAT being said, how long has Disco been open? If you just opened that card, you might be better off concentrating your spend there (while PIF) because DISCO is jealous and more likely to graduate you in a shorter term if it appears that she is your go to card.  Now if Disco has been open more than 7 months like Navy, date Navy first!

Good luck!

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. 👍
Message 5 of 8
MrBEW
Regular Contributor

I read in a NFCU thread where someone in your situation called and asked when would their account graduate. The rep gave them a spiel about how Navy checks every month.... yada yad yada. Well the next day, the account CL had increased and showed the Cash Reward Card. A week later they recieved a letter congratulating them on graduating. I guess it couldnt hurt to see if it works for you as well

Message 6 of 8
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous  Doesn't hurt to call. Good luck and keep us updated! 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try that. Thanks. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.