cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Visa Signature vs World Mastercard

tag
bovie

NFCU Visa Signature vs World Mastercard

For NFCU cards like the Cash Rewards do you get to choose when you apply between Visa or MasterCard? Or do they just give you one or the other?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU Visa Signature vs World Mastercard

I think the default is a Visa card.

I just did this last week! I already had a Visa Signature card at NFCU, but I got an email offer from them saying "$150 cash back when you sign up for a new Visa or MasterCard". I went to the website and found the offer and filled out the application.

I was approved, but there was no way to choose which card I wanted. I called them on the phone immediately after my approval, and they submitted a "backoffice request" to make sure I was given a MasterCard.

The next day, I got an email from them with a link to give me access to what amounted to an image of my "new card", showing the card number and three digit code, but it was a Visa.

So I called them back, and the woman on the phone verified that the request to issue me a MasterCard had been submitted, and she told me to just ignore the Visa image. Meanwhile, my account is showing two Visa cards. I figure it will all work itself out, so I just kicked back to wait.

Yesterday, my account started showing my original Visa card along with a World MasterCard. Yay! Also yesterday, my NEW VISA came in the mail. LOL! I'll get rid of it as soon as my MasterCard shows up.

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gamegrrl 

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*

Well done!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 ⬆️

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bovie  When I applied for a card with NFCU, I applied over the phone and at that time they asked me if I wanted Visa or Master Card.  Thinking if you do online it possibly defaults to Visa, but by telephone you may request.  

Message 4 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bovie  When I applied for a card with NFCU, I applied over the phone and at that time they asked me if I wanted Visa or Master Card.  Thinking if you do online it possibly defaults to Visa, but by telephone you may request.  

This!

How cool would it be to get a dualSmiley Wink

Message 5 of 13
bovie

Thanks is there a reason you went with the MasterCard instead of the Visa?

Message 6 of 13
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I always ask for Visa.  I think it is the better brand.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gamegrrl 

@Anonymous  That's what I was looking at too! I pray to get there one day. Great job!👏👏

Message 8 of 13
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@bovie    The Representative Asked me if I wanted VISA or MC when I applied in Branch Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I always ask for Visa.  I think it is the better bra,nd.

Experiments suggest that you often get a slightly better exchange rate with MC, so that might be a small reason to prefer MC, but a) it's not true on every transaction (or currency pair) and b) is small

But what makes Visa a better brand for you?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.