Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU approval!

@Tazman81 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tazman81 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Boonie wrote:

I joined NFCU last fall and started direct deposit a couple months ago.  I know my TU credit score was 644 in December, and believe it is not much higher than that now because I applied for a couple cards in the meantime.  I have about 12 inquires (or more) over the last year.  My highest credit card limit is with Fingerhut, which started at $100 and is now $1,750 about a year later (surprisingly).   Fingerhut has been a great credit rebuilder for me.  

Anyway, I am mentioning the above because.... after reading some review on MyFico about NFCU credit cards, I decided to take a chance and apply for a NFCU cash rewards card.   I was instantly approved for $10,000!   The rate is prime plus 12.4%, which I am completely happy with.   I almost passed out!!!  I had to count the zeros to make sure I was reading it correctly.   I haven't had a card with this high of a limit in several years.  I feel like a huge nasty credit weight has been lifted from me with the grace of NFCU.  I printed the congratulations screen and wrote " I'm back baby!" and put it on my fridge... 

NFCU has rescued me from subprime nastyland...   I can't wait to get rid of FP, Credit One and a couple other cards charging ungodly fees.   God Bless NFCU!!!! 

Navy Federal is excellent.  But if someone crosses them, they are as mean as a junkyard dog.

+1000 to that one.  Hahaha.  I can tell ya from experience, that is certainly the truth.

Why not share the story?  Smiley Happy

Anonymously, of course.  Seriously.  If it's anything like I have seen with military members I have dealt with, it would be a real good education for all of us to see just what can happen.

I was reading through the contracts -- I know, a bad habit -- for NAVchek and NFCU credit cards and basically the only thing they hadn't written in there is that "Upon perceived default, bend over and grab your ankles."

Well, to make a long story as short as possible, I had a carloan 25k and a credit card 17k with NFCU.  I filed for bankruptcy and wanted to reaffirm on the car, but not the credit card.  They would not permit that.  I had to reaffirm on all of the debt or none of the debt.  Well, I couldn't afford to pay the car and the credit card, so I didn't reaffirm on any of the debt.  Well my lawyer contacted nfcu numerous times about a place to bring my car or when they were going to come and pick it up.  Turned out that NFCU had changed their process for titling vehicles, and they never listed a loan on the vehicle, so now they said they legally cannot come and get the vehicle.  Well, I told them that I am willing to voluntarily give it to them as I already felt guilty enough that I had to have their debt discharged in bankruptcy and I was not going to try to hold the collateral from them.  Well, turned out, they told me they were not going to get the vehicle and would not accept me voluntarily giving it to them because of the "way it may look".  So, needless to say they were out quite a bit of money.

Anyhow, I had already changed my direct deposit prior to filing because as soon as they got the paperwork they froze my checking and savings account.  One person I talked with at NFCU said that once my bankruptcy was discharged then I would be able to start banking with them again.  So, fast forward to my discharge (January 2009).  I went into NFCU in February and talked with them and gave them copies of the discharge and asked that they unfreeze my checking/savings account.  The lady their said she had to make some calls.  She came back and said, since we lost money in your bankruptcy then we will not be able to unfreeze your accounts.  I let her know that I was told after my discharge I could start using the accounts again, and she said, she was sorry that I was misinformed.  I had about $12 or something in checking and the $5 in savings, so I asked about how I could get those funds if my account was frozen.  She said I go ahead and "close" my account and she could give me the cash.  So, I signed the account closure forms and my account was closed.

Well, I received a call about a week later from them asking why I had closed my accounts, and so I gave them the story.  She said she was sorry to hear about that but I could have kept a savings account with them.  So, I said, okay, I would like to do that (as they have very good rates) and so she sent me a membership application.  I filled it out (and I still qualify to be a member of nfcu), but it was denied because of "the previous way I handled my accounts".  Now, granted I've never overdrafted or anything with nfcu, they are talking strickly about loosing money with the bankruptcy.

I called NFCU about the denial letter, and they said I could appeal to the membership committee.  So, I wrote in an appeal, explained why I had to file bankruptcy, explained me willing to voluntarily give up the vehicle even though it was a mistake on their part that the title did not list them as a lienholder (I provided the documents showing where I signed and submitted the title).  I explained how I felt I was "tricked" into closing my checking/savings account as they were not unfrozen.  Well, they still came back and said they would not reconsider opening my account since I "voluntarily" closed it.

So, I just left it at that.  I then tried to get in through USA Federal, but they couldn't validate my identity and said I could come into one of their offices (I'm in VA, offices in CA) in order to open an account.  So that didn't work.  I was trying to see if  NFCU might be taking over any other credit unions but I haven't heard anything.

My roommate is willing to open a new checking/savings account and have me as a joint account holder and let me just use those accounts, but I don't even know if they will deny that since my name will be on the accuont.  We have not tried that yet.

Anyhow, I was so long winded.  Don't even know why I feel so compelled to get back with NFCU, but I am. 

I think the rules are that they cannot deny you a basic savings account.  After closing it, though, not sure if they have to let you back in. 

It really sucks how NFCU handled everything, but it does not surprise me.  I have seen worse.  Much worse.

One thing that may help, though, is if you are still on active duty.  I have had some success with command intervention getting Navy to rethink at least some of their actions.

Message 31 of 46
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@Boonie wrote:

Sounds like you should take your free car and bank somewhere else to save yourself some stress. 

I don't disagree with you.  I just have a twitch for these things.  LOL.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 32 of 46
Tazman81
Established Contributor

I think the rules are that they cannot deny you a basic savings account.  After closing it, though, not sure if they have to let you back in. 

It really sucks how NFCU handled everything, but it does not surprise me.  I have seen worse.  Much worse.

One thing that may help, though, is if you are still on active duty.  I have had some success with command intervention getting Navy to rethink at least some of their actions.

Yeah, unfortunately not active duty any longer, but I still qualify through my mom, dad, both brothers, and roommate.  And not that I am expecting any lending products through NFCU, I just thought If I had membership, I might be able to sneak in a secured loan and secured credit card to start a decent "rebulding" process with them.  I may write in to the CEO or the membership board again.  Only thought of doing that because I felt like I was more or less tricked into closing the accounts with not so accurate information.  I guess we will see what happens.  Thanks for the command suggestion though.  Smiley Tongue

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 33 of 46
Woolfman
Established Contributor

Yesterday in the mail i got a preapproved letter from NFCU.. i was excited at first. Then i realized its for the card i already have! LOL Smiley Sad hmm wonder if i can get two!

Message 34 of 46
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Hahaha.  Sounds like they are toying with you.  I don't think you can have 2 of the same card.  But I think you can have a VISA and a MasterCard product with them.

Message 35 of 46
jim5518
Established Member

Message 36 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tazman81 wrote:

Hahaha.  Sounds like they are toying with you.  I don't think you can have 2 of the same card.  But I think you can have a VISA and a MasterCard product with them.

I have two Visas with Navy Federal, but they are not the same type; one is nRewards and the other is the plain platinum.  Maybe they don't allow two Visas or MasterCards if they are the same type. 

Message 37 of 46
jim5518
Established Member

I also got a pre-approval for the cash rewards, but I already have one . Would be nice to have 2 lol.

Message 38 of 46
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

How does one join NFCU without military service past present or family members?

I heard you can donate to a particular fund or organization and qualify.  I'm looking for something very long term.

Starting Score: 584TU / 580EQ
Current Score: 670 TU / 680EQ
Goal Score: 720 TU / 720 EQ

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 39 of 46
chasmith
Valued Contributor

AFAIK they (NFCU) don't have the membership "loophole".  They recently completed a merger with another CU (USA Federal?), and some folks were able to join the other CU by joining an organization, and their memberships rolled in with the merger.  But currently there's not a "side door" to membership.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.