Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU cc app, no instant decision?

tag
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU cc app, no instant decision?

@NeedinHelp42 wrote:

@Anonymous, I finally broke down and called today to check on the status of my credit card appliction.  Granted, it's only been about a day and half, but nothing had popped up on my online account yet.  I basically did it under the pretense of  "I don't have direct deposit going to you yet, so wanted to check and see if you needed income verification or anything from me."  Did this mostly because I will be out of the office next week and away from a fax machine.  The rep said hang on and let me check, pulled it up, and said "Nope, no notes here about income verification or needing anything else.  It just says you're approved.  Hang on one second and I can give you the details.  It looks like the credit line is $16,000 @Anonymous.65%."

I about fell out of my chair before I asked him to repeat that.  I'm staying calm as I don't have the card yet and this hasn't shown up on my online account.  But, with a year plus of serious rebuilding after divorce and prior to that, basically being irresponsible as a college kid, I am floored.  I have a $3k Dell account and a handful of credit cards with $750 limits.  

I have read a number of great things about NFCU on these boards, and with this, they've made me a believer!  Time to start sock drawing some of these starter cards! Thank you to everyone of you who has provided advice and guidance here that has helped me.

Amazing! If only I was eligible to join for NFCU.... Smiley Wink

Message 41 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very nice! That dawrfs my $7k! But I'm still happy. I'm sure you're ecstatic.
Message 42 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, nice! I wish I'd get that answer from them.

Instead, I was asked to send in a copy of my id and ssn (AGAIN) to their credit department. I told them I just faxed it in about a day earlier to their membership department, but they said they needed me to fax that to the credit department too. So I did that yesterday - and now, about 24 hours later, their fraud department finally got done reviewing the fax (after I called) and pushed it back to their credit card department for processing. Which means another 24-48 hour wait - which is probably 1-2 business days in reality.

I've never had to go through quite this much effort to open any account, so I really don't have my hopes up at this point, I'm expecting them to deny my app since it's taken them so long already. But I guess it goes show that YMMV with every bank/CU.

Message 43 of 69
trubliever82
Regular Contributor

I got a $5000 crewards and call them up a week later and said that I wanted a cli and the told me it will take a few days. Less than 8 hours later, I logged on NFCU online and my cl was up to $10,000. Did the same with PSECU only I went from $4000 to $10000 and both the 4000 original and 10000 cli were instant. Nothing better than knowing right away.

Message 44 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice. What were you scores like when you asked for the CLI? Were they hard, soft, or no INQ?

Message 45 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I had your luck. I talked to them around 2 this afternoon and they said the fraud department had checked out all my info and the application was being sent back to the financial officer(s) for processing.

So I figured it wouldn't hurt to call back a few hours later and make sure they actually had all the info. And surprise surprise, now they're saying the fraud department still needs to doublecheck my ssn and the people who need to do it are only available during "normal business hours", which is apparently 8-4:30pm monday through friday.

I specificially, several times, asked them to doublecheck to make sure they have all the info so I wouldn't get stuck waiting over the weekend without being able to do anything  about the application - and they told me they had all the info. And when I asked about operating hours, they said they're there 24/7 to process the applications, so there wouldn't be a problem.

But now, all of a sudden they still need to verify more information (after they told me it was all checked out), the people aren't available over the weekend (although they said they can process it 24/7), and I'm stuck waiting until Monday before I can call them again to ask about it. If they finally manage to check out the info then (and who knows how much longer that's going to take them), then MAYBE they can get the application moved over back to processing and then stall and delay for a few more days. Even then, it's not like it's guaranteed that they'll approve the application, so I could well be wasting all this time and effort on nothing, and just end up with another inquiry/inquiries on my reports.

I wish I had the luck some of you are having with being handed high credit limits instantly or with minimal waits. So far all their CC department has done for me is have me waste several hours on the phone trying to resolve things and having to fax them information. And they just checked my information on Tuesday to set up my membership, so you'd think they'd at least have some sort of internal records about it. I did have a really good feeling about NFCU's customer service at first, but now that it turns out that they have no idea what they're talking about and have repeatedly been giving me wrong information, I'm starting to get just a slight little bit upset with them.

I get that they have to verify information to prevent fraud and identity theft, but come on - if subprime banks like Capital One and HSBC can do an immediate approval for me, why does it take NFCU this long? It's not like any of my info has changed recently, and besides it's all the exact same information I gave them Monday/Tuesday for my membership verification.

Message 46 of 69
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

This is where you just have to walk around the block and maybe pop a cold one when you get home. Smiley Tongue

I used to be super-impatient, too. After three pregnancies, all of which went way past the due date (17 days on the last one), I realized that there are some things that I just don't have any control over. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 47 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish I had your luck. I talked to them around 2 this afternoon and they said the fraud department had checked out all my info and the application was being sent back to the financial officer(s) for processing.

So I figured it wouldn't hurt to call back a few hours later and make sure they actually had all the info. And surprise surprise, now they're saying the fraud department still needs to doublecheck my ssn and the people who need to do it are only available during "normal business hours", which is apparently 8-4:30pm monday through friday.

I specificially, several times, asked them to doublecheck to make sure they have all the info so I wouldn't get stuck waiting over the weekend without being able to do anything  about the application - and they told me they had all the info. And when I asked about operating hours, they said they're there 24/7 to process the applications, so there wouldn't be a problem.

But now, all of a sudden they still need to verify more information (after they told me it was all checked out), the people aren't available over the weekend (although they said they can process it 24/7), and I'm stuck waiting until Monday before I can call them again to ask about it. If they finally manage to check out the info then (and who knows how much longer that's going to take them), then MAYBE they can get the application moved over back to processing and then stall and delay for a few more days. Even then, it's not like it's guaranteed that they'll approve the application, so I could well be wasting all this time and effort on nothing, and just end up with another inquiry/inquiries on my reports.

I wish I had the luck some of you are having with being handed high credit limits instantly or with minimal waits. So far all their CC department has done for me is have me waste several hours on the phone trying to resolve things and having to fax them information. And they just checked my information on Tuesday to set up my membership, so you'd think they'd at least have some sort of internal records about it. I did have a really good feeling about NFCU's customer service at first, but now that it turns out that they have no idea what they're talking about and have repeatedly been giving me wrong information, I'm starting to get just a slight little bit upset with them.

I get that they have to verify information to prevent fraud and identity theft, but come on - if subprime banks like Capital One and HSBC can do an immediate approval for me, why does it take NFCU this long? It's not like any of my info has changed recently, and besides it's all the exact same information I gave them Monday/Tuesday for my membership verification.

Maybe they just simply don't like you.

Or maybe it is because they are severely overloaded with applicants due to their continued 0% BT offer and the $25 DOD headcount bonus.

Smart money is on the latter.

Message 48 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possible, but it's not like other people haven't been getting fast approvals.

What annoys me the most is that they'll tell me everything is ready and set to process, and when I call back later, it's not. At first it was just a 24 hour notice. Then I call 24 hours later, and they're still just processing it. Then they need me to fax in my ID and ssn. So I do that, give them until the next day, call back - and they say they still need me to fax it in. I told them I already had the previous day, and then they magically find the fax. They say it should all be set, and that I can just call back later for the actual decision.

So I call, and I get told it's still waiting with the fraud department, and I need to send in my ID and ssn. That's after they said they had it already. So they call the fraud department, and again, it magically appears.

So I called earlier today, and after being told the exact same thing about needing to fax it in (again) they then said the fraud department notated the application with the fact that the info had been received, and it would get passed on back to processing.

Call 6 hours later, and - surprise - they ask me to fax my info in again. After they go through and doublecheck everything again, they tell me the fraud department still needs to verify something about my SSN and it'll take until Monday now.

I'd be impatient either way, but if I'd been patient, I would've just been waiting for days, and then found out that I needed to fax in my info - or that they thought they didn't have the fax after I'd already sent it in. I understand they're busy, but it seems like they're not really keeping very good track of things on their end.

Maybe I'll have better luck next week.

Message 49 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

This is where you just have to walk around the block and maybe pop a cold one when you get home. Smiley Tongue

I used to be super-impatient, too. After three pregnancies, all of which went way past the due date (17 days on the last one), I realized that there are some things that I just don't have any control over. Smiley Tongue

I try to be patient, but I'm really not. I guess it's a good thing in this case - if I was just painted and waited around, then it would be taking even longer since they sure haven't taken any effort to notify me about the info they needed me to send in, and their internal notes don't seem to be very good.

Message 50 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.