tag
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU chip & pin

@Anonymous wrote:

@Zorasmiles wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Zorasmiles wrote:

NFCU has only released the EMV/Chip CC's to a small group and are slowly rolling them out to members (no known selection process in place per reps).  If you're among the group to the receive the EMV/Chip CC's you'll receive notice along with the PIN prior to receiving the CC.  Upon receipt of the card and activation you can call NFCU to request a PIN change over the phone without having to use the one they send out.  

When you use the card where the terminal is enabled to accept the EMV/Chip CC you'll be prompted to enter your PIN to complete the purchase.  On terminals that aren't set up for use of this feature you'll still be able to use the swipe method without having to use your PIN.

Guess I need to call thrm because my Flagship was converted to one with the Chip and I never received any PIN.  I just assumed it was chip and signature

Irish.  Yes, call 1-888-842-6328 and work your way through the menu tree for changing your PIN. Once you get a member rep they will change your PIN over the phone after the security verification.

Thank you.

You're welcome

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xerostatus wrote:

I recently received my NFCU CashRewards card with the EMV, and it was chip & pin.

Is anyone yet aware of the CVM embedded in the chip? Chip&Pin Offline? or Chip&Pin Online?

Following oft-cited google sheets has not yet been updated to include the recently offered NFCU cards, so it's not listed:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ani-u3tGk5hedGRvcE1ELVg5UmlGZk01SHZvTUMxdUE#gid=0

If anyone has this information, I'm very curious to know. Thanks!

I got myself on the list for the next round of chip cards, I'm so excited! I have been reading on this technology for a while, and I am psyched for the change-over. I like the dual-function of the swipe and chip, and it will be useful for overseas trips. I will definitely be updating when I get mine, hopefully soon!

Message 12 of 14
elbori357
Regular Contributor

I put myself on the list when they released the first batch and got mine on Thursday night.
MyFico Pull: TU 838 EFX 841, EX 840. (14 Aug 2020) House Mortage $305k, Car Lease $60,000, AMEX ED 33,000, NFCU Signature Visa $68,000, Lowes Visa 25,000, Cap One Venture $48,000, Navcheck $15,000, Barclay WEMC Arrival+ $41,000, Cap1 Quicksilver Visa $12,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15k, Best Buy $19,800, . Overall Util. 2%
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live overseas for the Navy and I was in the first wave of EMV.  Have Cash Rewards and Flagship EMV..never use Cash Rewards cause of 1% foreign fee, but routinely use Flagship.  NFCU is the only bank that I know of that is a true chip and pin card.  What this means is the bank set a preference that Pin comes before signature so no matter where you use it, if you insert it into the slot, it requires PIN, not signature.  I have Pen Fed, USAA, and Barclay EMV Chip and Pin, and all of them are set so signature is preference over PIN.  PIN only happens in an unattended place.  I used my AMEX USAA today at a grocery store in the do it yourself lane like the USA thinking that will trigger PIN, and nope signature and attendant helps you. So, if you want a true Chip and Pin EMV card, NFCU is it.

Final word, the only time USAA has ever requested a PIN from me was when I was at McDonalds in Paris, there's an unattended kiosk to order (they don't have these in the USA)..it required the PIN there, and it worked no problem.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.