Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU credit card 10 percent discount of redemption

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU credit card 10 percent discount of redemption

Hi good people of myFICO

I have a question about a 10% feature for NFCU credit cards. Right now the only NFCU credit card I have is GoRewards https://www.navyfederal.org/products-services/cards/creditcards/gorewards.php

This credit card allows you to redeem you rewards points as cash where 1 point equals $.01

There is this cool incentive in the redemption portal where each point above 50000 gives you a 10% discount.

For example if I had 49000 points I could redeem them for $490 dollars.

However, let’s say I had 60000 points. The first 50k would be redeemed at 1 point equals $.01, for $500. The remaining 10k points could be redeemed for an additional $100 cash back. However, I would only be charged 9000 points.

I want to apply the NFCU cash Rewards card: https://www.navyfederal.org/products-services/cards/creditcards/cashrewards.php

I also want to apply for the NFCU more Rewards: https://www.navyfederal.org/products-services/cards/creditcards/more-rewards.php

If you have any of those credits cards, can you tell me if either the of these have a similar 10% of feature after accumulating 50000 points?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU credit card 10 percent discount of redemption

Please tell us how many months of using the Go Rewards card it takes you to accumulate 50,000 points?  In my case, if I used the Go Rewards for 100% of my credit card spending, it would take about 18 months to earn 50,000 points.  I could easily earn far more cash rewards with a 2% cash back card such as Citi Double Cash or PenFed Power Cash Rewards.  I don’t think this 10% discount is significant.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuywrote:

Please tell us how many months of using the Go Rewards card it takes you to accumulate 50,000 points?  In my case, if I used the Go Rewards for 100% of my credit card spending, it would take about 18 months to earn 50,000 points.  I could easily earn far more cash rewards with a 2% cash back card such as Citi Double Cash or PenFed Power Cash Rewards.  I don’t think this 10% discount is significant.

Well I just started paying attention to credit cards and MS (manufactured spending) for the last few months. It would take me about 5 years at my current spending levels with no MS. However, I am researching moves to make in order to both maximize cash back and possibly reach the 50k point tier sooner rather later.

I is not so straight forward which of these cards will always earned the most cash back. The NFCU GoRewards gives you per dollar spent: 3pts restaurants, 2pts gas stations, and 1pt for everything else.

Each point can be redeemed as cash back at $.01 per 1pt. In addition, you can earn more points through the NFCU Go rewards shopping portal. Full disclosure, I dislike using the shopping portal, however it can increase your cash back significantly. For example: Walmart 2pts, Best Buy 1pt, Kohl’s 3pts, CVS 2pts, Office Max 3pts, Sam’s Club 2pts. There are a ton of opportunities to get even more points.

If we both bought something for $100 you would get $2.00 with your 2% cash back card and I would get $1. However, if I were to use the shopping portal then my cash back in this case would be 1pt plus whatever the shopping portal offered. In this case it would be:

Walmart: 1pt + 2pts = 3pts/$ = 3% * $100 = $3.00

Best Buy: 1pt + 1pt = 2pts/$ = 2% * $100 = $2.00

Kohl’s: 1pt + 3pts = 4pts/$ = 4% * $100 = $4.00

CVS: 1pt + 2pts = 3pts/$ = 3% * $100 = $3.00

Office Max: 1pt + 3pts = 4pts/$ = 4% * $100 = $4.00

Sam’s Club: 1pt + 2pts = 3pts/$ = 3% * $100 = $3.00

It is just deciding how much time you want put towards maximizing your points.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuywrote:

Go Rewards does offer 3 percent back on restaurants.  So that is more than your Citi Double Cash would give you. I do think waiting that long to redeem points is silly though.  They are probably wishing that you never redeem the points. 

Message 4 of 7
Jetboy
Regular Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@UpperNwGuywrote:

Well I just started paying attention to credit cards and MS (manufactured spending) for the last few months. It would take me about 5 years at my current spending levels with no MS.

• Don't forget Go Rewards Expires 4 years from month earned, as long as account is open.

Message 5 of 7
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@UpperNwGuywrote:

Go Rewards does offer 3 percent back on restaurants.  So that is more than your Citi Double Cash would give you. I do think waiting that long to redeem points is silly though.  They are probably wishing that you never redeem the points. 

Correct.  My 18 month estimate assumed that a portion of each month's spending would earn 3% at restaurants and another portion would earn 2% for gas.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My problem is I rarely go out to eat, but I buy alot of gas. It would be way better for me to get NFCU credit card that offered 3pts gorceries, 3pts gas, 1pt every thing else.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.