Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU “extenuating circumstances exist”

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU “extenuating circumstances exist”

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the information! I did have charge offs in the past but I have since paid them off (never navy fcu)

the extenuating circumstances denial seems to be linked to my NFCU accounts -- like a blacklist as when I apply my credit is not ran.  I try to call the front end member service representatives but I get absolutely nowhere! I'm thinking it is from when Navy provided assistance on my line of credit and overdrafted checking account; but all of that has been paid off and I continue to be denied. 

That would certainly be what they are referring to, and you are being denied for previous unsatisfactory handling of accounts.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although I no longer owe a balance? It is all paid off. Never charged off and late 30 days 1x ? 

Message 12 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Although I no longer owe a balance? It is all paid off. Never charged off and late 30 days 1x ? 

It could very well be the case depending on the circumstances.  How long ago was this and what type of assistance did they provide?  Anything other than "pays as agrees" can harm your relationship with a financial institution.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

They rolled my line of credit of 26,000 into an installment loan.  I have since paid it off in full.  The account is closed 'pays as agrees' as you noted.  This was recently paid off. 

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

By any chance did you take a deferment or forebearance on any of your NFCU accounts? I ask because when I was applying for credit I had taken a deferment from a personal loan from Lending Club in June. BECU will automatically deny any credit if you have taken forebearance in the last 6 months. The CSR's at NFCU told me that unless the forebearance or deferment was with one of their accounts it would not matter. This was in August.

Message 15 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the information! I did have charge offs in the past but I have since paid them off (never navy fcu)

the extenuating circumstances denial seems to be linked to my NFCU accounts -- like a blacklist as when I apply my credit is not ran.  I try to call the front end member service representatives but I get absolutely nowhere! I'm thinking it is from when Navy provided assistance on my line of credit and overdrafted checking account; but all of that has been paid off and I continue to be denied. 

That would certainly be what they are referring to, and you are being denied for previous unsatisfactory handling of accounts.

I was thinking "extenuating circumstances" is a strange phrase to use in the context of a negative outcome such as a denial ("aggravating circumstances" would seem a better choice) but this explains it.   Your account is/was being treated in an extenuated way, so you have used up our goodwill for now!

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

YES! I did indeed. I deferred it for about 4-5 months under COVID-19 assistance. You are probably correct this is what the issue is! 

thank you! 

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your input! Much appreciated! 

Message 18 of 21
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They rolled my line of credit of 26,000 into an installment loan.  I have since paid it off in full.  The account is closed 'pays as agrees' as you noted.  This was recently paid off. 

Interesting. I had a line of credit rolled into a loan as well. But I think the draw period had ended. I didn't know that was a negative thing. Of course my bank still reports it as a revolving account even though I can't draw on it anymore. Asked them to change the reporting to an installment loan. They "couldn't." Smiley Indifferent

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous when did you receive assistance from NFCU?? My girlfriend is in same situation. NFCU told her that she had to wait atleast 6 months after the assistance from NFCU (she deferred one auto loan payment) hope this helps 👍 

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.